News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Golf's toughest final four / USA ?
« on: January 16, 2009, 02:56:46 PM »
Had the opportunity to read Golfweek's latest issue -- love the new
design -- very sleek and quite hip.

Saw the spread on toughest holes ...

From the courses I have played in the USA I have to say the final four at PGA National (Champion) is the toughest -- at the very top -- when you also include the following ...

For any top four candidate having at LEAST one par-3 and one
par-5 in the final quartet.

The two par-3's at the Champ are extremely challenging -- frankly I think the 17th is tougher than the 15th which was rated the 5th toughest and had the shortest yardage for those in the top 5. The 17th is truly a terror when the pin is cut either front right -- or even worse -- when it's back right. There is NO small room for the slightest burp -- never mind error.

The 18th was the toughest closer for the PGA Tour -- and I concur w Brad K's comments on the hole. Laying up is no bargain because you can have anywhere from 150-175 yards out with a stiff wind to battle.

The hole that often gets lost in the sauce is the par-4 16th -- good driving hole that forces you to play away from the H20 on the right but the more left you go the more demanding the approach becomes. The hole maxes out to roughly 435 yards and you've got to hit it pure on the tee and approach shots.

I'm known not to be a fan of Florida golf -- but I have to give the devil his due when it's earned ...

Like I said -- the toughest final four I have played with at least one par-5 and one par-3 in the mix. If there are other serious contenders I'd be happy to entertain their nominations but pushing out The Champion will be no small feat.

They don't call the final four there the Bear Trap for nothing !

Deucie Bies

Re: Golf's toughest final four / USA ?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 03:00:32 PM »
I would say Oakmont, but there is no par 5 listed on the card.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 03:34:07 PM »
Guys here's the deal for those who may not understand English ...

It's a final four in the USA with the following conditions ...

*has to have one par-3 in the mix

*has to have one par-5 in the mix

For all others start your own thread and title it however you want.

Got it now ...

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 03:36:09 PM »
That seems like a rather arbitrary condition that eliminates about half the golf courses out there, but fine.

Firestone?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 03:43:08 PM »
Matt C:

No doubt -- you are right - it's arbitrary but then again it's my thread.

Good call on Firestone -- but the 18th at the Champ is still a big better than the Monster from OH. The 15th at Firestone South is also a dud when held against the two from Florida. The only real possibility you have is with the 18th being better than the 16th at the Champ -- although I think architecturally the 17th is a better hole.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 03:46:04 PM »

Got it now ...

Nice to see you have your sarcasm tuned to perfect pitch.  ::)

If those are the criteria, why would you mention PGA "Champs" with its two par 3s?

Just sign me, "Curious."   ???

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 03:48:02 PM »
Don't know if it's the toughest, but TPC Sawgrass proves to be among the most interesting, year in and year out.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Sam Morrow

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 03:48:25 PM »

Got it now ...

If those are the criteria, why would you mention PGA "Champs" with its two par 3s?

I guess he means atleast one par 3 and 5?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 03:50:17 PM »
I'll nominate Redstone Tournament Course. 15 Isn't the toughest but still a long, tough par 5 and 16-18 are some tough SOB's.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 03:52:23 PM »
Ummm...ummmm....Reverse Jans National.  I heard that reverse Alps hole is a royal pain in the ass.

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 03:55:14 PM »
Long Cove
15 -590 par 5
16 460 par 4
17 205 par 3
18 460 par 4
These yardages may be longer now as that was as of '92 when I left

and 14's tougher
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 03:57:58 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 03:59:26 PM »

Got it now ...

Bill,
because they're virtually the same hole ??? ??? ???
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matt_Ward

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 04:12:50 PM »
Jeff:

If you think #15 and #17 are the same exact hole -- you might need to readjust the glasses. The holes are angled differently for the wind and both feature entirely different greens and shapes and overall demands.

Another good call / re: Long Cove.

Again, your par-5 is not up to the toughness The Champ provides. Speaking of relative likeness -- the two par-4's are decent candidates -- but neither is the equivalent for what the 16th at The Champ provides. Ditto either of the FL par-3's have Long Cove's candidate on the toughness front. 

You are soooo right on the 14th there -- but geeze, it's not among the final four. Too bad.

George P:

Good call ...

But TPC Sawgrass has only one sure winner when held against The Champion -- the home hole 18th. When you measure tour stops played each and every year it amazes me how people completely forget this hole. No lead is ever safe on that hole.

The 16th at Sawgrass can't hold the likes of the finale at PGA National.

In terms of the par-3 side the 15th at The Champ was statistically tougher than the much hyped island par-3 at TPC.

Bill:

I wrote my original post in what I thought was clear English -- just needed to repeat myself before posts come forward with courses that don't fit the bill.

The deal AGAIN just to make sure everyone is on the same page.

HAS to have at least one par-3 AND one par-5 among the final four holes. That doesn't mean to say you could not have two par-3's and two par-5's and no par-4's.

Sam:

C'mon -- the 15th at Redstone is not as tough as the finale in Florida. Ditto the par-3 side with the potential for real disaster to the benefit of The Champ. The best -- and only solid candidate you've got -- is the finale hole there.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 04:15:47 PM »
Would these be toughest for the long driver/ erratic iron player/ mediocre putter, or the short driver/ accurate iron player/ great putter?
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Sam Morrow

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 04:16:26 PM »
Jeff:

If you think #15 and #17 are the same exact hole -- you might need to readjust the glasses. The holes are angled differently for the wind and both feature entirely different greens and shapes and overall demands.

Another good call / re: Long Cove.

Again, your par-5 is not up to the toughness The Champ provides. Speaking of relative likeness -- the two par-4's are decent candidates -- but neither is the equivalent for what the 16th at The Champ provides. Ditto either of the FL par-3's have Long Cove's candidate on the toughness front. 

You are soooo right on the 14th there -- but geeze, it's not among the final four. Too bad.

George P:

Good call ...

But TPC Sawgrass has only one sure winner when held against The Champion -- the home hole 18th. When you measure tour stops played each and every year it amazes me how people completely forget this hole. No lead is ever safe on that hole.

The 16th at Sawgrass can't hold the likes of the finale at PGA National.

In terms of the par-3 side the 15th at The Champ was statistically tougher than the much hyped island par-3 at TPC.

Bill:

I wrote my original post in what I thought was clear English -- just needed to repeat myself before posts come forward with courses that don't fit the bill.

The deal AGAIN just to make sure everyone is on the same page.

HAS to have at least one par-3 AND one par-5 among the final four holes. That doesn't mean to say you could not have two par-3's and two par-5's and no par-4's.

Sam:

C'mon -- the 15th at Redstone is not as tough as the finale in Florida. Ditto the par-3 side with the potential for real disaster to the benefit of The Champ. The best -- and only solid candidate you've got -- is the finale hole there.

Matt,

I've never played The Champ, Redstone was the first course that came to mind. 15 Is still tough and if you drive it in the rough the potential for laying up short of the creek. 16 Is a tough hole as you're hitting into the diagonal green. 17 And 18 are both tough as they both play 480 plus.  I won't argue your point about The Champ though as I've never played it. Just talking about my little corner of the world.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 04:19:27 PM »
Sam:

No doubt Redstone is a good candidate -- but I don't see it at the same level as the TPC Sawgrass or even the likes of Firestone or Long Cove.

What makes The Champ so maddening is that H20 is a very real deal for any type of player. Just ask Ray Floyd how he handled the par-3 17th a few years back during a Sr. PGA event there.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 04:20:39 PM »
Sam:

No doubt Redstone is a good candidate -- but I don't see it at the same level as the TPC Sawgrass or even the likes of Firestone or Long Cove.

What makes The Champ so maddening is that H20 is a very real deal for any type of player. Just ask Ray Floyd how he handled the par-3 17th a few years back during a Sr. PGA event there.

Fair enough, I would hate to comment on Sawgrass, Firestone, or Long Cove. I've never played any of them unless I can count computer golf. If that's the case then I must add that I used to tear Sawgrass a new one. :D

JohnV

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 04:23:40 PM »
Almost any Pete Dye course can be listed.  After all, most of them have a risk/reward par 5, a do or die par 3 and a brutal par 4 to finish.

Given that:

PGA West - Stadium and Kiawah Ocean are good candidates.

Also, since #15 at Oakmont was a par 5 for quite a few years after the course opened and is currently over 500 yards from the back tee, why not count it? ;)

Others I thought of:

Fox Chapel - with the Biarritz 17th and a good par 5 18th it is pretty tough finish, although 15 isn't the toughest around.

Bellerive is another good tough finish that meets the criteria.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:25:45 PM by John Vander Borght »

jeffwarne

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 04:24:37 PM »
Matt,
I can't do a comparison because frankly I found The Champions course very forgettable.
I remember hitting the same shot and club on 15 and 17 (but that could've been the tournament setup)

15 at Long Cove is no easy par 5.

I would argue a 460 par 4 is much more difficult than a second par three because it requires 2 good full shots-not one mid iron.
Agreed since I left there those holes probably play a bit shorter due to technology-but 18's uphill to a massive and hugely contoured green

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 04:41:43 PM »
Riviera although maybe #16 isn't tough enough.  With some pins with the tee all the back it could be.

#15  440 yards
#16  175 yards:?
#17  par 5, long
#18  great long par 4

Matt_Ward

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 04:50:35 PM »
Jeff W:

The issue is not about whether one wants to forget or not forget. It's about toughness with a tie breaker for those selections that can offer architectural qualities plus having an additional par-5 and par-3 thrown into the mix.

Jeff, the 15th and 17th at Champ's PGA National can play dramatically different -- your comments may have come from just how the course set-up was that day. The wind pattern is also different. With a northwest breeze -- not uncommong during the winter months -- you play into a headwin at #15 and at #17 it becomes even more demanding as you face a heavy cross wind from left-to-right -- just watch the final groups as they came to that hole during the final round last year.

I never said Long Cove's 15th is easy -- I just opined The Champ's tougher and the '08 stats back me up on that point.

You also make the error -- in my mind -- that a long par-4 that is devoid of anything really serious like OB / H20 is tougher than a hole that has such items. The added par-3 in my mix is not some sort of giveaway. Not the least. Many folks might make a bogey on the long par-4's you mentioned but the DB and TB possibilities are limited.

Yes, the 18th at Long Cove is a tough hole -- but I ask you again to really think about what you have to overcome with the 16th at The Champ -- the slightest push of the tee shot and it's Elvis land -- pull it left and the shot the green is anything but a piece of cake.

Geeze, I can't believe I am being such a stuck-in-the-mud in defending a Florida golf course !!!

John VB:

The 15th at Oakmont is a par-4 as of 2008 / 2009 golf accounts.

In regards to othe other candidates you mentioned -- PGA West -- the 16th there is a good par-5 with the massive bunker-drop off left of the green -- but there's not enough going on demanding wise until then -- the 18th at The Champ wins that argument going away. On the par-3 side the Alcatraz hole is a good one -- but the water is more ornamental -- not the case w either par-3 hole at The Champ.

In regards to Kiawah -- that's a different story but it's still tough to match the par-5 side. The par-3 side is a draw. I also think the 16th at The Champ is more demanding hole than the finale at Kiawah. The H20 dimension is alive and well in FL.

John, Bellerive is a good call -- but frankly from an architecture standpoint as a tiebreaker I'd throw Long Cove, TPC Sawgrass and Firestone / South ahead of it.

Bill:

Please -- the only sure fire winner you have at Riviera is the two par-4's. The par-5 and par-3 candidates are not the tough when held against The Champ. Good call but frankly TPC Sawgrass and Kiawah Ocean are ahead of the Pacific Palisades gem in my mind.

If Champ v Riviera plays out you lose on the par-5 side, the par-3 side and the 16th at The Champ is every bit the equal of the par-4 15 at Riviera.

JESII

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 05:00:05 PM »
Matt,

Toughest for whom?

ANGC or Shinnecock might make it for the pros, but mostly because they're coming down the stretch in a major if they are playing those holes...for you and I, we'd probably score higher at the Champ day in and day out...

Matt_Ward

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 05:06:33 PM »
Jim S:

Check out the stats / re: Golfweek's article.

The holes that finished highest on toughness were measured against the likes of the world's best -- no doubt those below that grade of talent would have their problems too.

JESII

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 05:11:08 PM »
Sorry Matt...upon review there actually is not a question mark in your opener...

Matt_Ward

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 05:16:42 PM »
Jim S:

In regards to the question mark - I wanted to see other candidates and plenty of solid ones have come forward -- I just don't see any one of those yet being better from the degree of max toughness than the ones at PGA National.

My God, like I said before, it's weird for me to strike a blow for Florida golf !!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back