News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jaeger Kovich

What about Friars Head, not that the membership would ever let it happen... I'd love to hear Tiger and other tours pros reaction to the green on #7. My first putt on that hole went 10 feet backwards!

Mike Tanner

Good stuff here. I think Tom Huckaby was close with his comment about wanting to see the pros suffer. I wouldn't necessarily want to see them suffer, just take them out of their comfort zones and make them think.

Maybe I didn't pose the question clearly enough or maybe I used the wrong examples, but as much as anything I'm curious about courses that are way different in design from Tour courses. Pine Valley would be a great venue, especially for match play.

Any others that fit the bill for an out-of-the-box Tour venue?
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Doug Ralston

Of course. Lakota Canyon. How could that not be a little uncomfortable. I would love to see that on TV too. Second shots to the green at #18 would make an exciting finishing hole. How long is it from the tips?
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Kyle Henderson

I always thought Tobacco Road would be an interesting venue for match play. Ditto Ballyneal.

But, upon reflection, I'd hate to see how the tour would set the up course and fear it would never return to the way it plays now.

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Peter Nomm

Funny that Ogilvy is one of the straightest hitters in the game, yet in a Golf Digest article this summer he bemoaned the fact that in his opinion "real shotmaking" has been taken out of the game on Tour. 

I remember one of the questions asked if he would typically shape different shots for different pins.  He said he would really like to - but it would be a disadvantage vs. the rest of the field as they are all simply firing straight at pins.

Glad to see him winning at a place that forced the field to "play the game" a bit.  Too bad the rest of the guys don't seem to embrace it.

PCCraig

Chicago Golf, Shoreacres, and Yale.

I would love love love love to see the big guys play an old fashioned Macdonald/Raynor course.
H.P.S.

Rob Rigg

I'm with Pete - I would enjoy watching these guys play Tetherow as it stood this summer, eyebrows and all.

It's F&F, the rub of the green comes into play, and it is a beautiful setting.

Tim Gavrich

Pawleys Plantation--#13 would give them absolute fits

Tot Hill Farm

I'd second Yale

Newport CC
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Pat Burke

Santa Teresa GC, San Jose, CA.

I'd love to see what I find hard prove to be so freakin' easy for them.

TH

No,you really wouldn't.It makes you wonder why you even bother to play.It's really fun when they cruise around in 66(never before having seen the course) and say "why do you have so much trouble scoring well here?".

Good point.  I just do have few delusions and am quite self-deprecatory.  I would indeed enjoy seeing whatever delusions I did have be shredded.  I am a weird sort.

;D

We wouldn't play golf if we weren't all masochists.

Read how Pat Burke answered-"by their standards".I'd almost bet he could give 2/side to anyone you know at Santa Teresa.Maybe the most truthful thing the PGA Tour ever said was "these guys are good".

Umm, as I hope to have the opportunity to play with some of you in the future, I will say thank you for the kind thought
AND there is NO way many of you will be getting 2 a side ;D

Scott Weersing

I would first choose classic courses in big cities. Remember that the USGA and the PGA TOUR pick courses because of infastructure, not because a course sets up a certain way for the pros.

Los Angeles CC, North Course
Pasatiempo GC

Then some out of the way courses:

Homestead Resort, Cascades Course
Ballyneal

and Rustic Canyon on day when the Santa Ana winds are blowing down the canyon.

tlavin

I'd love to see the U.S. Open played at Butler National.  The club has made all of the right changes to the golf course and needs only to admit the distaff gender in order to host the Open.  I think it would be a perfect site for our national championship.

Lester George

Old White

Myopia Hunt

Kinloch

CCV James River

Ballyhack

Lester

Bruce Leland

Chicago Golf, Shoreacres, and Yale.

I would love love love love to see the big guys play an old fashioned Macdonald/Raynor course.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Nike Tour used to play an event at Yale.  I believe Jon Christian won his only event there.  Short straight hitter, remarkable long iron player and great short game.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Tommy Williamsen

I would like to see how they would do at Sebonack. I sould like to see how they would handle the greens.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Anthony Gray

Would love to watch them putt The Castle and complain when their approach shots roll to a different section of the green their ball hits. I'm looking foward to Kiawah.

Anthony

Jason Hines

8)  Certainly Black Mesa.. and then drinks at the Pink Flamingo afterwards..

Where's the Pink Flamingo?

Steve, did you mean the Pink Adobe in Santa Fe?

Matt Bosela

I'd love to see the Canadian Open played at:

- National GC of Canada
- Highland Links (after restoration)

In the US, obviously Pine Valley would make my short list, along with Sand Hills, Ballyneal and NGLA. 

All these courses have one thing in common: I've never seen them and may never get the chance to see them either unless they are on TV :)

Kyle Henderson

Cypress Point and Riviera circa 1928, Augusta Nat'l circa 1934 (the tour would never seek those courses in the original configurations now, would they?).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 02:12:52 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Peter Ferlicca

My vote goes for Wolf Run Golf Club in Indiana.  I honestly think that the course could be set up for US Open, but would probably be better suited for a PGA Championship.  The super wouldn't even have to change the course that much and it would be ready for a tournament.  If they have the greens rolling at the usual 13 on the stimp and the rough nice and thick, this course would be a dozy for the pros.  The logistics of the site are great too, no houses, wide enough room for stands around the holes, and plenty of parking and tent room.

I also think NGLA would be awesome to see the pros play the holes all different to their strengths.

Matt_Cohn

The Ranch, just to see how aggressive (or conservative) those guys would play.

PGertner

Pine Valley running F&F.

I think the Valley would be great but matchplay would be best , I'm not sure how well it would hold up in stroke play.

Pine Valley would hold up just fine.....

Crump Cup....1983 brings back a few memories.....

PCCraig

Would love to watch them putt The Castle and complain when their approach shots roll to a different section of the green their ball hits. I'm looking foward to Kiawah.

Anthony

Anthony...I thought you hated Kiawah because the pro shop staff wasn't nice or something along those lines???
H.P.S.

Anthony Gray

Anthony

Anthony...I thought you hated Kiawah because the pro shop staff wasn't nice or something along those lines???

Pat,

I don't hate the course. You know.....She may be a pain but she's still hot.

Anthony

PCCraig

I'd love to see the U.S. Open played at Butler National.  The club has made all of the right changes to the golf course and needs only to admit the distaff gender in order to host the Open.  I think it would be a perfect site for our national championship.

Terry-

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I have heard recently there is no chance at all of the club loosening their stance on the membership.

On the basis of the course alone I think you are correct that if they ever did loosen up the USGA would be banging down the doors to get in. It is a great course and friends of mine who had played in the Western there way back when said it was the hardest and best Tourney setup they had ever seen.
H.P.S.

Tom Huckaby

The Ranch, just to see how aggressive (or conservative) those guys would play.

GREAT CALL.

I'd also pay good money to see them walk it. 

;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back