News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Tanner

After Geoff Olgilvy won the Mercedes at Kapalua, he bemoaned the course setups that the PGA Tour would present the players for the next 20 events. I think he said setups rather than courses because he didn't want to bite the hand that feeds him too harshly.

So if the tournament at Kapalua was fun to watch because the course design and conditions prevented Tour pros from playing bomb and gouge golf, where else would you like to see them play?

For starters I nominate Cypress Point, Seminole, National Golf Links, Sand Hills and Pacific Dunes.

What say you?
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Tom Huckaby

Lincoln Park, SF, CA.

Let them battle it out in real-world conditions, and let's see who has the guts to make the stupid shots that would likely be required to go how stupidly-low would win there.

TH

Jaeger Kovich

Quaker Ridge... Tilly's Treasure. Former host of MET Opens and Walker Cups, I'd love to see what pros would do at this classic. Also Stanwich in Greenwich, CT is an absolute bear from the "witch tees".

Steve_ Shaffer

Tobacco Road, Royal New Kent and Lederach come to mind.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Garland Bayley

Lincoln Park, SF, CA.

Let them battle it out in real-world conditions, and let's see who has the guts to make the stupid shots that would likely be required to go how stupidly-low would win there.

TH

those guys can't handle ruff and scruffy. I remember an article about a tour pro playing a New Jersey muni and he couldn't overcome the conditions to shoot evan as low as his host.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jed Peters

Lincoln Park, SF, CA.

TH

those guys can't handle ruff and scruffy. I remember an article about a tour pro playing a New Jersey muni and he couldn't overcome the conditions to shoot evan as low as his host.

That's BS, Garland.

I've played with guys that are nationwide tour pros on scrubby courses and they still went low. If someone can hit the ball long and straight they can hit the ball long and straight. If they can putt they can putt. If they can short game it, they can short game it.

Tom Huckaby

Oh I have no doubt they'd adjust and find a way.  These guys are good.

I'd just enjoy watching them suffer a bit.

TH

Garland Bayley

A lot of people can hit those low spin balls long and straight. As I remember the article, the pro couldn't handle the vastly varying conditions on and around the greens. That keep the pro from chipping close to save par and from making putts normally considered in birdie range.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kevin Pallier

Never say never but Worldwide PGA Tours:

North Berwick.....just to see if they'd crack a smile  ;D

Barnbougle Dunes.....to see how they'd handle the wind

Pete_Pittock

In Oregon Tetherow and, when completed, Old Macdonald.

Tom Huckaby

Santa Teresa GC, San Jose, CA.

I'd love to see what I find hard prove to be so freakin' easy for them.

TH

Pat Burke

My last 2 opportunities @ CPC ended with 66 and 67
And I'm not very good by their standards any more   Afraid the scores
(wind exception of course) would be scary low by many there.

One thing I am constantly surprised at is how low many can go in poor conditions
Seems bad greens end up with lower scores at times, not for me, I was spoiled my whole life
by good greens ;)
Wind and firm conditions are the one thing that keeps all of them honest

David Neveux

Crystal Downs
Kingsley Club

both with sufficient to strong WINDS, let em have great conditioning, but I'd like to see the greens COOKING!!

Greywalls
Forest Akers East
Pinehurst 1 & 3
Bandon (all 3)

JMEvensky

TH

No,you really wouldn't.It makes you wonder why you even bother to play.It's really fun when they cruise around in 66(never before having seen the course) and say "why do you have so much trouble scoring well here?".

Tom Huckaby

TH

No,you really wouldn't.It makes you wonder why you even bother to play.It's really fun when they cruise around in 66(never before having seen the course) and say "why do you have so much trouble scoring well here?".

Good point.  I just do have few delusions and am quite self-deprecatory.  I would indeed enjoy seeing whatever delusions I did have be shredded.  I am a weird sort.

;D

JMEvensky

TH

Good point.  I just do have few delusions and am quite self-deprecatory.  I would indeed enjoy seeing whatever delusions I did have be shredded.  I am a weird sort.

;D

We wouldn't play golf if we weren't all masochists.

Read how Pat Burke answered-"by their standards".I'd almost bet he could give 2/side to anyone you know at Santa Teresa.Maybe the most truthful thing the PGA Tour ever said was "these guys are good".

Tom Huckaby

Fully agreed there, JME.

:'(

Steve Lang

8)  Certainly Black Mesa.. and then drinks at the Pink Flamingo afterwards..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Sean_A

The only course I think of which would be interesting to see the pros on given:

1. It would be good to see regardless of weather
2. They no longer play the course
3. That I think would challenge the pros
4. I like

Deal

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

David Stamm

Pine Valley running F&F.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mark Woodger

agree 100% Sean. I am biased being a member but as a general rule tour golf needs include more links golf IMO. Its much more interesting and the greater variety in courses would make me want to watch it more to see how they handle different courses.  I am sure this must have been said before by wiser people that myself! :)

To my mind one week is not much different to the next on the Tour.

Jay Kirkpatrick

i don't have a specific course in mind, but i would love to see these guys play a tournament in cold weather (45 degrees or below).  the tour follows the warmth, yet more than half of us play 3-5 months a year in the cold for the love of the game (or for the hatred of our wives).

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

Pine Valley running F&F.

I think the Valley would be great but matchplay would be best , I'm not sure how well it would hold up in stroke play.
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Bill_McBride

8)  Certainly Black Mesa.. and then drinks at the Pink Flamingo afterwards..

Where's the Pink Flamingo?

Jay Kirkpatrick

thought of one... musgrove mill.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back