News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

I don't think this has been discussed, but this is an article on the Golf Channel's website talking about the "restoration" of Pebble in advance of the US Open.

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=15100&select=28227

H.P.S.

Nick Church

I think I posted a comment last year that Pebble's marketing newsletter mentioned some work.  However, that newsletter did not dramatize to the scale that this article does it.

Does anybody have a first hand account of before & after?  Any chance of photos of work in progress??

Tom Huckaby

Muy interesante.

I just don't get the author's contention that "purists" would hate these changes.  Seems to me purists ought to eat them up.  Removing trees and rough?  Good god, that might be the mantra in here....

;)

It's also hard to tell from the article exactly what changes are being made.  There are the added fairway bunkers already on 3, yet the article mentions "changing the line"... was some tree removal done there as well?

I played the course in October - there was still rough then and 6 was as it ever has been.  So this work must be going on since that time.  In any case, in terms of new back tees for the big boys, heck that's needed.  The course was indeed getting too short for them.

TH

JMEvensky

I just don't get the author's contention that "purists" would hate these changes.  Seems to me purists ought to eat them up.  Removing trees and rough?  Good god, that might be the mantra in here....

;)

There are purists and then there are PURISTS.

Tom Huckaby

;)

;D
There are purists and then there are PURISTS.

Good point.

Lower case purists want to retain Pebble as it was last year.  Upper case PURISTS have to be salivating at this talk of getting it back to how Neville had it.  Of course the problem is such PURISTS will produce photos and show how poorly PB is doing at that task....
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 11:40:33 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Jeff_Brauer

What the heck is a purist anyway?  I would think someone who argues for maintaining the challenge of a golf course by changing it can lay claim to that title as much as someone arguing for keeping it exactly as it was at some point in time, especially for an Open course.

Changing Mowing lines shouldn't upset anyone other than competitors.  And they can always keep the ball saving rough for most of the rest of the year.

In the picture of the 6th hole, it appears to me the FW bunkers have been rebuilt and their style is a lot smoother than what I recall from Pebble, and I would think a seaside site would want a little more rugged edged bunker, no?

The sand is whiter, and I am guessing they have bunker liner and easily recoverable sand.  Anyone know for sure? I am just looking at pix, but wasn't the USGA in on the "sand is a hazard" mentality now and how will it play for the Open?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jimmy Muratt

Finally, these sound like US Open changes made for the better.........I guess they didn't call the "Open Doctor" this time.  I really like the idea of no rough along the right side of #6 fairway and especially along the left of #18.  It will truly make it a risk/reward hole that could decide the Open.

a section from the article:

Mike Davis the course set-up guy for the U.S. Golf Association, said he intends to move the fairways on hole Nos. 4, 6, 8, 9, 10 and 18 to virtually abut the falloffs into the water. It’s something of a contradiction to shave roughs into fairways and produce a tougher test of golf. But that’s the gist.

PCCraig

In the picture of the 6th hole, it appears to me the FW bunkers have been rebuilt and their style is a lot smoother than what I recall from Pebble, and I would think a seaside site would want a little more rugged edged bunker, no?

Jeff-

Isn't that what Arnold Palmer does? Make every course into the Florida / Bay Hill style?
H.P.S.

JMEvensky

What the heck is a purist anyway?  I would think someone who argues for maintaining the challenge of a golf course by changing it can lay claim to that title as much as someone arguing for keeping it exactly as it was at some point in time, especially for an Open course.

This is the $64,000 question.I think it's sad that "purist" is now frequently a pejorative,almost a synonym for stick-in-the-mud.Maybe traditionalist would work better.

Just speaking for myself,I actually would like to see US Open courses set up exactly as they were in the day.Even with the technology advances,I'd like to compare/contrast how Tiger Woods would play Merion,for example, as opposed to how Ben Hogan did.I concede that the comparisons would be few and the contrasts would be otherworldly.Still...

Somewhere in the Sandy Tatum interview, he says that his reasoning for leaving CPC as it is rather than lengthening it was,and I'm paraphrasing,to say "F... you" to those who've allowed technology to become so important.I admire this position.

So,as a self-proclaimed purist/traditionalist,I could live with someone possibly shooting 260 at Merion(or PB).Especially if it caused enough people to wonder if maybe the "solution" was somewhere other than added length and 6" rough.

Rich Goodale

I personally like the concepts of these changes, but I'll wait until I actually see them, in person or on the telly.  To me, this shows that well laid out golf courses can be rejuvenated by creative maintenance practices.

Kevin_Reilly

This calls to mind the thread from September with a picture from the 6th tee while the left side bunker work was under way:

6th hole thread from Sept 2008

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tom Huckaby

Good re-call, Kevin.

When I played in mid-October, that bunker work was completed.  It does pinch in the drive a heck of a lot more.  Combined with roll-out to the edge of the cliff, this will really be one tough shot for the big-boys.  For me it was no biggie as my good drive stayed short of the bunker.   :'(

In any case I agree 100% with Rich's take here.  Well said once again, good sir.

TH

Adam Clayman

Does anyone know for certain that Neville designed PB the way the article intimated?

One possible error (poetic license? or, is that a marketing degree showing?) in Mr. Hewitt's piece, the rough Tiger hit out of was not the double K.

The company sure does seem to be on the defensive from the purists.

Clearly Ran's Top Ten Architectural Blunders article likely had a lot to do with that defense, and, helped get the ball rolling to get them at least thinking.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 07:38:47 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom Huckaby

Here's how 6 looked in October 2008.. try to ignore the chunky stiff-legged golfer...

Kevin_Reilly

I just got an email from the NCGA with the offer (for NCGA members) to play Pebble for $375 until Feb 7th.  That includes cart....no hotel stay required.  So maybe one of us can make a field trip and report back to the group.

PS, Spyglass and Spanish Bay are $185 and $135 under the same offer.

Tom Huckaby

I just got an email from the NCGA with the offer (for NCGA members) to play Pebble for $375 until Feb 7th.  That includes cart....no hotel stay required.  So maybe one of us can make a field trip and report back to the group.

PS, Spyglass and Spanish Bay are $185 and $135 under the same offer.

That offer's been out there for awhile now Kevin - sign of the times.  And at least one GCAer I know has availed himself of the"deal" at Spyglass.

PB at $375 remains too rich for me.  But for anyone trying to play it the first time - and you really do need to have such on your bucket list - now would be a GREAT time to do so.

TH

tlavin

This course has gotten more face lifts than Phyllis Diller.  And it hasn't gotten any better, so I am not holding my breath.

Kevin_Reilly

The location of new bunkers, tees and trees all fall within the original concepts of the design.

the original concepts of the design...that leaves quite of bit of room for interpretation. 

Tom Huckaby

This course has gotten more face lifts than Phyllis Diller.  And it hasn't gotten any better, so I am not holding my breath.

LOL
Well, we know how YOU feel about PB, Terry.  To each his own.

But for those of us with the good sense to appreciate it, well... methinks Rich nailed it.  It should be very interesting to see how this plays out, both for the big boys and us little guys.

TH

Mike Benham

I wonder if Neville had the sightlines set so that you can see 3 cart paths from the tee box ...

Now for a radical idea, why not have fairway LEFT of the new bunker complex (removing the cart path of course)?   It would be potentially a safer play but less chance of going for the green in two.  
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Huckaby

I wonder if Neville had the sightlines set so that you can see 3 cart paths from the tee box ...

Now for a radical idea, why not have fairway LEFT of the new bunker complex (removing the cart path of course)?   It would be potentially a safer play but less chance of going for the green in two.  

Now that would be very cool.  Of course it also makes the tee shot less challenging... hmmm... less challenging, more fun.. whaddya say they mow it as such for everything EXCEPT the US Open?  I want those guys to face challenging shots.

Anyway removal of the cart path will never happen, of course.  But it is fun to think about.

TH

PCCraig

Now that would be very cool.  Of course it also makes the tee shot less challenging... hmmm... less challenging, more fun.. whaddya say they mow it as such for everything EXCEPT the US Open?  I want those guys to face challenging shots.

Anyway removal of the cart path will never happen, of course.  But it is fun to think about.

TH

Would any Pro's actually take their tee ball left to avoid the water? Isn't this really what all the changes are all about?
H.P.S.

Tom Huckaby

That's why I said leave it as is for the US Open, Pat (that is, mow it to the cliff on right, leave the left as rough).  We want to force them to play between the bunker and the cliff, particularly if they want to reach the green in two.

But for everyday play I think Mike's idea is a great one.  It gives a choice where none exists now.  I think that's fun.

In any case it's moot as that cart path ain't going anywhere, that's for sure.

TH

JohnV

I played Pebble on Jan 6.  There is no visible work going on at this time.  There is only a 6-foot strip of "first-cut" to the right of the 10th fairway.  The two smaller trees on the right of the first landing area on 6 in the pictures above are gone.  You don't tend to notice the big trees behind the 5th green so the only tree you really notice is the one behind the green.

The area to the left of the bunker on 6 is somewhat broken ground.  I think it would be easier to go for the green from there if it was fairway as it would be as steep a hillside staring you in the face.

Tom Huckaby

I played Pebble on Jan 6.  There is no visible work going on at this time.  There is only a 6-foot strip of "first-cut" to the right of the 10th fairway.  The two smaller trees on the right of the first landing area on 6 in the pictures above are gone.  You don't tend to notice the big trees behind the 5th green so the only tree you really notice is the one behind the green.

The area to the left of the bunker on 6 is somewhat broken ground.  I think it would be easier to go for the green from there if it was fairway as it would be as steep a hillside staring you in the face.

Excellent JV - I was hoping you would chime in!

And I agree re 6 - more reason why it would be fun - the choice of going left might even be beneficial.  But it's also gonna be LONGER... so you have longer and easier (left) v. shorter and harder (right) - that's a fun choice as I see it.

For us mortals, that is.  It's no choice for the pros - Pat is right, none would bother going left.  So since they won't anyway, make them suffer.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back