News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

Waterwood National, Texas?
« on: January 09, 2009, 08:19:01 PM »
Mark Rowlinsons thread of San Lorenzo pictures got me thinking of other courses I've played but don't hear much about or get to see any pictures of...

I have to admit that I've not played much golf over in the USA, but when I was in Houston  a couple of years ago I did play Waterwood National. I didn't take any pictures though, and there doesn't appear to be much out there though I did find this thread, but the pictures didn't work:
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30243.0.html
Has anyone any pictures of the course? Past or present? If so, I would appreciate if you could post a few as a reminder? Many thanks in advance!

I seem to remember that the Dye's and Bill Coore had done a good job! Some holes I remember really liking like 2, 3, 4, 8, 14 and 15. 14 was a real brute of a par 3 if we had played it off the back tees, well over 200 yards and all over water, though we played from the forward tees that day as it was so wet.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

David Sneddon

Re: Waterwood National, Texas?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:47:59 PM »
James,

I did a bit of digging and found this link to 24 pics of Waterwood National. The link comes from the homeowners page.  Certainly not much info out there. 

http://tinyurl.com/6v56gg

David
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:03:29 PM »
I was last up there a couple of months ago, but didn't have my camera with.  The conditioning was pretty decent and the course is always a lot of fun albeit difficult.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:50:30 PM »
Waterwood National has kind of a neat architectural history these days.

If memory serves correctly, the course was originally laid out by Roy Dye, with Pete. Bill Coore was the superintendent, and actually did some "in house" design work there, finishing up the course. And, a young Sam Houston State Univ. student, called Rod Whitman, was on Coore's crew. In fact, it was Coore who recommended Whitman to Pete Dye, when Pete needed a construction superintendent at the new Austin Country Club job during the e.rly 1980s.

I don't know anything about the course though, other than Whitman telling me he used to have fun playing there.
jeffmingay.com

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 11:39:12 PM »
Kyle,

I played WN long before I had any idea what I was looking at. It would be great to revisit, as I hardly remember much more than the nutso full carry par 3 (16 or 17 I think??).

Could this be worthy of a bigger picture Texas GCA get together?

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 02:23:39 AM »
Kyle,

I played WN long before I had any idea what I was looking at. It would be great to revisit, as I hardly remember much more than the nutso full carry par 3 (16 or 17 I think??).

Could this be worthy of a bigger picture Texas GCA get together?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Pat Burke

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 02:56:12 AM »
This course hosted tour school finals back when H Sutton qualified.  It was a brute, and I remember my brother telling me how hard it was.  He missed at finals one year making a huge number on 14, which had the hazard all marked yellow back then, and was a one iron the last day!  My brother qualified there the next time he trued ( I think 1979)
I played in a NCAA D2 finals there, and though just a youngster thought it was a heck of a course

James Boon

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 08:49:05 AM »
Guys,

Thanks for these. The link to the photos David provided, bring back a few memories, and I think several are pictures from their old website wghich initially made me interested in playing there. Pity the current website isn't better?

Wyatt, I think the par 3 you refer to is the 14th which others have mentioned. A bit of a monster!

I got the new Pete Dye book at the end of last year, but unfortuntly there wasn't much of a mention of this place?

Thanks once again!

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Steve Lang

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 07:13:22 AM »
 8) Tour School stage was there back in 80's
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 08:43:26 AM »
I played here in 88 and loved it, the Super intendent showed me around the machine areas too he was really helpfull. Was a bit distant location as I remember, Walden was another nice course up that way too. Think the only decent shot i hit that day was on 14, but I remember the tour school stories of giant scores on that hole.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Sam Morrow

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 08:45:47 AM »
I played here in 88 and loved it, the Super intendent showed me around the machine areas too he was really helpfull. Was a bit distant location as I remember, Walden was another nice course up that way too. Think the only decent shot i hit that day was on 14, but I remember the tour school stories of giant scores on that hole.

When you played it in 88 this was the place. My old boss, Eddie Dey, was there at the time and people were constantly making the trek from Houston.  I don't have a Confidential Guide but I recall Tom Doak saying all the assistants in Houston go there on Monday's. A lot still do but more come see us at High Meadow on Monday's these days. ;)

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 08:52:30 AM »
Sam- He was very helpful, spent about an hour with me and Huw Morgan, we were both Superintendents from the Uk then, Huw is at Ashburnham now (and would love this site). The variety of holes were nice, and a few stunners too.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Sam Morrow

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 08:54:46 AM »
Sam- He was very helpful, spent about an hour with me and Huw Morgan, we were both Superintendents from the Uk then, Huw is at Ashburnham now (and would love this site). The variety of holes were nice, and a few stunners too.

Good to hear, I'm not sure who the super was in 88.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 09:04:06 AM »
Jeff,
Thanks for the history.
I played there in college in the late 80's before I appreciated what I was playing.
All I remember is that it was bloody tough and that #14 was brutal..it was one of those holes you started to worry about on the first tee.
I think it would be a great place for a gca texas get together..tie in Horseshoe bay for accomodation?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 09:06:27 AM »
Jeff,
Thanks for the history.
I played there in college in the late 80's before I appreciated what I was playing.
All I remember is that it was bloody tough and that #14 was brutal..it was one of those holes you started to worry about on the first tee.
I think it would be a great place for a gca texas get together..tie in Horseshoe bay for accomodation?

Horseshoe Bay is a long way away.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 10:27:16 AM »
I  had my geography all messed up..sorry!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 10:33:59 AM »

No problem, rumor has it that Waterwood is talking with some major chains about a new hotel on site.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 10:38:52 AM »

No problem, rumor has it that Waterwood is talking with some major chains about a new hotel on site.

Nice course...but that would be financial suicide for whoever puts that in.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 10:40:59 AM »

Nice course...but that would be financial suicide for whoever puts that in.

True, but it's not my money :D

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 05:33:28 PM »
Am I alone in thinking that the difficulty at High Meadow far exceeds that of Waterwood?

Holes 3, 8, 11, 14, 15 are absolute beasts from the back tees.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 06:37:22 PM »
Am I alone in thinking that the difficulty at High Meadow far exceeds that of Waterwood?

Holes 3, 8, 11, 14, 15 are absolute beasts from the back tees.

I agree sir! When you're playing the back tees at High Meadow the course goes to 7370. All the way back 3, 5, 8, 9, 14, 15, 17, 18 are all bears. Plus the tee shot on 4 gets awful narrow back there. Waterwood isn't overly hard and I've scored well there in the past, to me the tough holes are 4, 5, 13, and 14. I don't think the rest of the course is that tough if you're hitting it well.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 07:14:44 PM »
Typically on #4 I just try and aim directly betwix the fairways. I usually end up with a push left or a viscious hook right. I learned to do that by aiming at the left side and hitting a draw into the hazard, or aiming right and cutting the ball back in the hazard. Old lessons huh?

How do you & Casey prefer to play the ninth, as a short four or long three?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 09:13:27 PM »
Typically on #4 I just try and aim directly betwix the fairways. I usually end up with a push left or a viscious hook right. I learned to do that by aiming at the left side and hitting a draw into the hazard, or aiming right and cutting the ball back in the hazard. Old lessons huh?

How do you & Casey prefer to play the ninth, as a short four or long three?

I prefer it at about 120 yards from the front tee. I seem to play the hole better from there, thank goodness for the juniors I work with. ;D

In all seriousness I don't overly care for it as a short 4 because I really can't get there anyway. If I miss a drive I'm in one of the bunkers. I enjoy the hole from the 210ish yardage, lots of options no matter where the pin is.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 12:15:09 AM »
Interesting.

I asked because I can't recall ever playing it from anywhere other than the 240-250tee. It always seemed to be into at least a quartering wind, which meant driver to the front and three putt for bogey.

Steve Lang

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 06:20:44 PM »
 8) Hey, Wyatt, Sam, let's get back to Waterwood..

TXgca'ers.. when are we going to play Waterwood?  KYLE.. is it time yet?

lets have separate HMR thread.. has Ogrin done anything else??
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back