News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Places to play and stay in Cornwall and the south west
« on: January 03, 2009, 03:40:04 PM »
I am planning a trip to celebrate my 40th birthday and have decided to go for Cornwall and region as it is an area I don't know at all really. I am looking for any tips and advise. I am a steady golfer, my wife has 36 handicap although has said she will caddy on courses to difficult for her (hey, it is my birthday trip :))

David_Tepper

Re: Places to play and stay in Cornwall and the south west
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 04:00:08 PM »
Jon -

I played St. Endoc & Trevose 6 years ago. I totally enjoyed St. Endoc. It is a very fun course to play in a very scenic spot. I thought Trevose was good, but a solid notch below St. Endoc on both counts.

West Cornwall & Perranporth are two courses that have been mentioned positively on this board over the past couple of years. I recall that pictures of all 4 courses has been posted. Hopefully, the Site Search feature will allow you to find them.

I would recommend staying in or near Padstow. There are a number of apartments & cottages you can rent there for a short stay and there are several good restaurants in town.

DT

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 04:30:13 PM »
I was there about 10 years ago, staying at the Hoops Inn near Clovelly and the Wellington in Boscastle. Neither were great but they did serve as hubs for driving, sightseeing and golf. St. Enodoc is a must, so try the St. Enodoc Hotel at Rock http://www.enodoc-hotel.co.uk/ . They can make stay and play happen at most courses, see their special breaks.  Presently closed, reopening on March 27th.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 04:35:04 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 04:59:21 PM »
John- St Enodoc is the clear #1 in  Cornwall, perhaps try Saunton or Westward Ho on your way down, if you are planning your trip out of season accomdation will be very easy.
I'd say Trevose, Perranporth, West Cornwall are all pretty good. Perranporth's a bit more fun perhaps and certainly quirky.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Paul Nash

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 05:14:07 PM »
Saunton Sands Hotel is right next to the golf course and is a really nice cliff-top location looking over the beach and the dunes that back on to the golf course

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 06:45:37 PM »
Jon

The golf is obvious, though for the 2nd course I would strongly suggest Perranporth.  Padstow is an obvious place to stay, but in high season in can be horribly busy.

http://www.tregea.co.uk/  (in town WITH PARKING - but I haven't been in some time)

http://www.garslade.com/  (in town)

http://www.rickstein.com/St-Edmunds-House-Accommodation.htm  (superb place in town, but expensive)

http://www.rickstein.com/Rick-Stein%E2%80%99s-Caf%C3%A9-Accommodation.htm  (another in the Rick Stein empire - the cheapest, but parking down here is a nightmare)

http://www.trevonebeach.co.uk/index.htm  (out of town for beach lovers)

The other obvious place to hole up is St Ives - again in high season its a nightmare for people and traffic.  Its a further drive, but in some ways its a better place than Padstow.  Of course, the golf down here isn't as good, but if you are hitting a course coming and going, West Cornwall GC is a good place to play a few games.  Its probably on par with Trevose which is to say not in the class of St Enodoc and to a lesser degree Perranporth. 

If you are looking for smaller villages to stay near Padstow/Rock then Port Isaac and Port Gaverne are lovely, but I can't vouch for the accommodation round there.  Rock itself is alright as well.  But remember that decent places to eat are short on the ground unless at Padstow (in this area) and if you stay outside town then driving is involved for a meal - something I never liked while on holiday.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 06:48:17 PM »
I did a Mapquest.uk on Padstow and it is really close to St Enodoc but across a river or estuary.  How long does it take to drive around?

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 06:53:03 PM »
I did a Mapquest.uk on Padstow and it is really close to St Enodoc but across a river or estuary.  How long does it take to drive around?

Bill

In good traffic it takes 20 minutes, but it can take much longer.  Though there is a foot ferry to Rock which I have used.  It involves hiking up to the clubhouse from the dock though.  In high summer it can be worth it to avoid traffic. 

Ciao

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 06:54:07 PM »
John- St Enodoc is the clear #1 in  Cornwall, perhaps try Saunton or Westward Ho on your way down, if you are planning your trip out of season accomdation will be very easy.
I'd say Trevose, Perranporth, West Cornwall are all pretty good. Perranporth's a bit more fun perhaps and certainly quirky.

Adrian is right on. Almost.  I found both Trevose and West Cornwall good, but a bit disappointing.  Clovelly is worth the swide trip and Devon is a great place to spend a few days.  You could do both Saunton courses on one day, play Westward Ho! the next morning and still get to St. Enodoc after lunch, if the traffic permits. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 07:19:50 PM »

Adrian is right on. Almost.  I found both Trevose and West Cornwall good, but a bit disappointing.  Clovelly is worth the swide trip and Devon is a great place to spend a few days.  You could do both Saunton courses on one day, play Westward Ho! the next morning and still get to St. Enodoc after lunch, if the traffic permits. 

I don't know Tommy, I would chuck Trevose, West Cornwall and Westward Ho! in essentially the same class.  Good, but not outstanding - fillers for a trip/worth playing if you are staying nearby.  The one course I really want to see when I get down there is Yelverton.  East Devon and Thurlestone also look to be worthwhile seeing, but these are all in Devon and not really near St Enodoc.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:52:03 AM by Sean Arble »

Stuart Hallett

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 06:13:14 AM »
Jon,

On your way to Westward Ho! & Saunton, try the coastal road through the Exmoor national park. Lynton & Lynmouth (Lynton Cottage Hotel) is a wonderful place to stay before a pleasant drive to Westward Ho!

I'd agree with Sean for Port Gaverne Hotel or Port Isaac, a short walk away. Good food and the real pleasures of the cornish coast without the hassle of Padstow, which has become too crowded & overpriced IMO. Should try Rick Steins place at least once, maybe for your birthday meal.

Good trip.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 08:41:47 AM »
Can I hitchlike on this thread?

Our family is thinking about doing Cornwall this year in July.  Are there any decent hotels which might appeal to two teenagish girls, i.e. having sand, sun and the fit boy or two in the vicinity?  Ideally, it would be placed so I won't have to drive too far for my furtive games of golf......

Thanks in advacne.

Rich

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 10:34:44 AM »
In order of return preference,
St. Enodoc
Perranporth (ballybunionlike)
Westward Ho (like stepping back in time and different-warm welcome)
Saunton West (I know that's the opposite of anyone else but I found it more interesting and varied than the longer East)
Burnham and Berrow (it's on the way and really could be as high as second on this list and would by many/most)
Saunton East
West Cornwall-I enjoyed this course-charming
Trevose-a little more corporate feel, but  some really good holes
Bude-Enjoyable but a few pedestrian holes

A very nice variety on this list and I would recomend them all but probably would not return to Trevose or Bude on a return trip to seek out other unknown venues (Yelverton as Sean suggests and other courses)

Avoid Newquay as a place to stay
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 10:51:23 AM »
In order of return preference,
St. Enodoc
Perranporth (ballybunionlike)
Westward Ho (like stepping back in time and different-warm welcome)
Saunton West (I know that's the opposite of anyone else but I found it more interesting and varied than the longer East)
Burnham and Berrow (it's on the way and really could be as high as second on this list and would by many/most)
Saunton East
West Cornwall-I enjoyed this course-charming
Trevose-a little more corporate feel, but  some really good holes
Bude-Enjoyable but a few pedestrian holes

A very nice variety on this list and I would recomend them all but probably would not return to Trevose or Bude on a return trip to seek out other unknown venues (Yelverton as Sean suggests and other courses)

Avoid Newquay as a place to stay

I must say that perhaps I NEED to revisit RND.  So many who know good golf like this place.  Perhaps I took much displeasure in the meadowy/damp holes and the rushes as a natural hazard.  While I wasn't really impressed with the course, I really liked the club and how they do things or rather how they don't do things. 

St Enodoc
_________
Burnham
Saunton East

I would only reco West Cornwall & Trevose if you happen to be in the area and its convenient.  While I didn't really dig RND, I think all should see it because it may be just the thing that lights your fire. 

Ciao

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:54:45 AM by Sean Arble »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 10:58:16 AM »
Westward Ho! cannot fairly be chucked into the same class as any other course.  It's not for everybody, but it is something to behold.  That would be my first stop besides St. Enodoc, and indeed it was when I took two of my associates down that way a few years back.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 11:08:01 AM »

advacne.

Skin disease unique to Christmas season?

James Boon

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 11:24:37 AM »
I can't add anymore regarding Cornwall for golf, beyond what everyone else has said, in that St. Enodoc is a must! If you are going to stop off for golf on your way down then out of Burnham & Berrow, Saunton and Westward Ho! aka Royal North Devon, then it will depend what you are after.

Easy access just off the M5 and a great links experience then Burnham is your course. If you want 36 holes of good solid and fair links that many will say could (almost?) host the Open then Saunton is your best bet. If you want to step back in time for something a little bit different then its Westward Ho! you want. Both Saunton and Westward Ho! aren't the easiest to stop off at on your way down, but I would say that the experience at Westward Ho! is worth it, ignoring some of the flatter holes the drive on the 4th over the railway sleepered bunkers and some of the middle holes in the dunes are well worth the drive, and its a great old fashioned clubhouse. And don't forget, its one of a certain Mr Tom Doak's Gourmet Choice courses but as he says, its not for everyone!

As far as somewhere to stay is concerned, I've never really done Cornwall as a golfing holiday, but I have stayed at The Old Quay House in Fowey on the southern Cornish coast, great little hotel and nice restaurant:
http://www.theoldquayhouse.com/
Not much golf in the area, but perhaps a nice stop if you want a break from the golf and fancy going to the Eden project which has to be seen to be believed.

Hope that helps?

Cheers,

James

ps I'm only a country member at Burnham so I don't live locally but if you fancy it, let me know and it may the excuse I need for another trip that way...
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 11:26:06 AM »
Its hard not be intrigued by a course with a hazard like this.  Its amazing how toned down this hazard is today.

Here is a promotional video to advertise the Atlantic Links.

http://www.royalnorthdevongolfclub.co.uk/atlanticlinkstv.html

Ciao

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 11:41:55 AM »
If you're ever in Torquay I've heard good things about a little hotel called "Fawlty Towers."  ;D

Rich Goodale

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 01:30:21 PM »

advacne.

Skin disease unique to Christmas season?

Every time I do that tyop it make me think of Bill "Pizza Face" Murray....

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 09:10:29 PM »
If your route to Cornwall goes through Gloucester there is a quirky course somewhat SE of there.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 09:42:24 PM »
Sean, I could not make RND my home course if I lived in the area.  I would much rather play Saunton, St. Enodoc, or Burnaham and Berrow as a habit.  What I like about RND is the ancient feel of the place.  Holes 4-16 are just stupendous.  Standing on the sixth tee is one of my absolute place in the golfoing world.  You look out at The Bideford Bay and the humpu bumpy  fairway and you have stepped back in time. I showed the fairway to a friend of mine and said "I hae it." I thought he was kidding.  I di have to say the your dislike of 11 is pretty fair.  It is a tad much to hit over the Great Sea Rushes and through the bowling alley way they call a fairway.  Most members hit an iron and try to make par wit a good pitch.  Fowler just routed the course over the land he found, put in some bunkers and pushed up the greens. 
Hope to see you again soon.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 05:21:29 AM »
Thanks for the info so far gents. I am starting to plan the campaign right now ;D

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 06:58:07 AM »
Westward Ho! is a must play for everyone on GCA. If I lived in the area i'd join Saunton for regular golf. As mentioned Burnham is another one on the way down or back up.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 07:04:59 AM »
Sean, I could not make RND my home course if I lived in the area.  I would much rather play Saunton, St. Enodoc, or Burnaham and Berrow as a habit.  What I like about RND is the ancient feel of the place.  Holes 4-16 are just stupendous.  Standing on the sixth tee is one of my absolute place in the golfoing world.  You look out at The Bideford Bay and the humpu bumpy  fairway and you have stepped back in time. I showed the fairway to a friend of mine and said "I hae it." I thought he was kidding.  I di have to say the your dislike of 11 is pretty fair.  It is a tad much to hit over the Great Sea Rushes and through the bowling alley way they call a fairway.  Most members hit an iron and try to make par wit a good pitch.  Fowler just routed the course over the land he found, put in some bunkers and pushed up the greens. 
Hope to see you again soon.

Tommy

I must say I am very surprised to read that.  Though to be fair, with two fine courses, Saunton is tough to beat in the general area as the best members club.

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back