News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: Dallas area golf
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 08:51:08 PM »
How is The Tribute?

It was a lot of fun the day I played it with a couple of GCAers in a 40 mph wind.

Greg Clark

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 10:34:19 PM »
The Cowboys indeed are in a sorry state.  However we here in Dallas have set the over under on the first Iggles Super Bowl victory at 50 years.  Take the over.

David Sneddon

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 11:45:05 PM »
How is The Tribute?

I've played the Trib quite a few times - always in great shape, some really good holes.  Links style, holes are styled on various Scottish courses, with a fair bit of latitude as to being 'copies'.

Fairways are wide, but you have to be on the "right" side of the fairway for a good approach to the green.  Greens are fairly large with contour, easy to 3 putt if you are on the wrong part of the green.

I find it a very enjoyable course, usually play it first thing in the morning and two of us walking/carrying usually do it in 3hrs or less.  Staff are very friendly both in pro-shop and bar, excellent bar menu at reasonable prices.

They are building another course, Tripp Davis/Justin Leonard design:
http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/the_rhythm_of_strategy

Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Bill Gayne

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2009, 12:36:06 AM »

Paul Carey

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2009, 09:16:28 AM »
Jay,

I hope you can get invited back to Colonial after the name of your thread.  The folks in Fort Worth are rightfully proud of their city and not just part of the "Dallas Area" 

I am looking forward to seeing the new bunkering at Colonial.   saw some of the construction from the road and it looked great from what I could see and the pictures here.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2009, 09:32:28 AM »
Lou,
  They are in the middle of a MAJOR renovation at Preston Trail. Tripp Davis is leading the way there-New greens, bunkers, irrigations, zoysia fairways, tees, moving tees, etc..

Paul,
  I'll take some new, finshed, dormant pics tommorow when I'm back at work. I think that the bunkering REALLY makes Colonial feel like Southern Hills and I know that it's the biggest, single change to the golf course. Keith and TDI did a great job as the Front 9 was shaped by a different shaper than the Back 9.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Sam Morrow

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2009, 11:25:08 AM »
I'd be curious to hear some thoughts on the courses west of 360. We talk about Colonial and Shady but there are some wonderful courses in the Ft. Worth area that often get overlooked.

Paul Carey

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2009, 11:40:39 AM »
Thanks Tony,

I will be back in the Spring and hope to be able to stop by.

Paul

mike_beene

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 03:24:15 PM »
Sam,probably need to get some west metroplex people to comment.Colonial and Shady are the only Fort Worth clubs I have ever seen.Dallas people are not generally welcome in Ft Worth.My sister went to TCU,and prior to that I bet I had not been to Ft Worth six times in 20 years.Luckily,I have a few friends over there willing to look past my deprived upbringing in the land of bleach blonds, insecure felons and metrosexuals. However,my failure to own cowboy boots hurts overall in seeing Ft Worth courses.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2009, 03:30:10 PM »
Sam,probably need to get some west metroplex people to comment.Colonial and Shady are the only Fort Worth clubs I have ever seen.Dallas people are not generally welcome in Ft Worth.My sister went to TCU,and prior to that I bet I had not been to Ft Worth six times in 20 years.Luckily,I have a few friends over there willing to look past my deprived upbringing in the land of bleach blonds, insecure felons and metrosexuals. However,my failure to own cowboy boots hurts overall in seeing Ft Worth courses.

Comeon Mike, there are some gems out west. Mira Vista, Ridgelea, and Rivercrest are all nice clubs that often go overlooked! Besides I know some great boot shops in The Stockyards!

mike_beene

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2009, 03:33:26 PM »
I have been in the Rivercrest clubhouse.Very nice.Not been invited to the others.I do hear good things.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 03:59:51 PM »
I have been in the Rivercrest clubhouse.Very nice.Not been invited to the others.I do hear good things.

The new clubhouse at Rivercrest is not well liked by the membership. It doesn't seem to fit in with the classic old course.

Richard Boult

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2009, 12:14:47 AM »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2009, 09:36:48 AM »
Gents,

Haven't Coore & Crenshaw done some work at Lakewood?  Great close in neighborhood with craftsmen bungalows and cool clubs along Lower Greenville (are Campisi's Egyptian Room and Stan's Bluenote still open?), but I don't recall much about the golf course back in my days there.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sam Morrow

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2009, 09:43:06 AM »
Gents,

Haven't Coore & Crenshaw done some work at Lakewood?  Great close in neighborhood with craftsmen bungalows and cool clubs along Lower Greenville (are Campisi's Egyptian Room and Stan's Bluenote still open?), but I don't recall much about the golf course back in my days there.

Mike

They did some restoration work in the early to mid 90's at Lakewood. Cool course and it's a pretty neat area. My yuppy ways tend to push me towards hanging out in Turtle Creek.

Ed Oden

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2009, 10:02:48 AM »
Mmmmm, Campisi's!  Now I am getting hungry.  May need to fly in from Charlotte for a quick lunch.  I'd have to chase it down with some Burger House on my way back to DFW though. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2009, 10:05:41 AM »
Mmmmm, Campisi's!  Now I am getting hungry.  May need to fly in from Charlotte for a quick lunch.  I'd have to chase it down with some Burger House on my way back to DFW though. 

I get off work in Houston at 2, we can do dinner! Then we can go to Grapevine and get in a round at Texas Indoor Golf!

Greg Clark

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2009, 10:45:02 AM »
Texas Indoor Golf is no more.  Too many good days outside to play for that type of capital investment to pay off in Dallas.  It was a cool place though.

In my earlier post of older established Dallas Clubs I didn't mention that along with Preston Trail, I have also not played Lakewood, so I don't have an opinion on where it falls in pecking order.  No slight meant there Mike, my friend.

mike_beene

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2009, 02:35:49 AM »
Mike,Coore and Crenshaw also came back and did more work at Lakewood in the 2003-2004 period.This included adding a number of fairway bunkers(probably ten) and building new back tees at 6 and 8 to add some length.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2009, 08:04:33 AM »
Mike,Coore and Crenshaw also came back and did more work at Lakewood in the 2003-2004 period.This included adding a number of fairway bunkers(probably ten) and building new back tees at 6 and 8 to add some length.

What work was done a few years on the range, was it simply lengthening it?

mike_beene

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2009, 01:13:54 PM »
There is no room to lengthen it until we can buy that house past the fence.The tee was leveled and expanded a little,and the fence is higher at the end.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back