News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Mosely

Re: Jeff Brauer Golf Design (MN and Cowboys + a few more)
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2008, 10:42:44 PM »
Hey guys.  Sorry I got in on this thread late.  I didn't hear either the "courtesy phone ringing," nor see the guy carrying it.

I'd like to join everyone in Minny for the PGA and maybe for golf the weekend before as well.

Merry Christmas to all. :D

Brad Huff

Re: Jeff Brauer Golf Design
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2008, 12:32:11 AM »
I am hardly an expert on Brauer golf, but I have played a few of his DFW original courses (Squaw Valley-Links, Tangleridge, Cowboys, Ridgeview Ranch, Cross Timbers) and one in CO (Cantleberry?), as well as some that he has renovated (Great Southwest, Brookhaven-Masters, Indian Creek-Creek).  I know Jeff and have played with him a couple of times, so I am probably a bit bias in his favor.

What I like most about his courses is their considerable scale, their beauty even when the site is not inherently so, their playability and variety, and the fact that I always look forward to playing them again.  His courses fit my eye, though I think that they might look harder than they really are.  Invariably, they are walkable (though the folks at Cowboys thought I was nuts- it was not bad at all) and can be played fairly quickly.  Even playing in strong winds, I can't remember ever feeling beat-up by a Brauer course, a clear indication that he understands the local elements and designs to make proper use of them.

His earlier courses are mounded to a greater degree than I like (e.g. Squaw Valley), but some of the sites were relatively flat (needing some definition, but compounding the effect).  His courses have a few bunkers that are more for aesthetics and perhaps functional as aiming points as opposed to strategic or influencing shot selection.

For my taste, his green contouring on the aforementioned renovations is over the top, but I was not his client.  With a couple of exceptions at Cowboys, I do not believe that this is the case in the original work that I sampled.

With the exception of Cowboys, all the courses I noted are very affordable and full of fun.  I often recommend them to acquaintances visiting the area who may not have access to the high-end privates.

Undoubtedly, Jeff is a very talented architect.  If you have seen him drive the ball you'd understand why he likes breadth.  I haven't yet figured out his rather complicated green design relative to his prowess with the short stick. 

As a golf coach that calls Indian Creek home, I ditto all of Lou's comments with the exception of the green countouring.  It's extreme in places at Indian Creek, but really only on holes where the green is the hole defense.  It adds a little excitement  for no other reason than it's different than what you're used to.  Also, Tangleridge and Great Southwest is as good as you get.

Lou obviously has more clout than a lowley golf coach, as JB has Heismaned my offers of beer to sit and chat about golf!!!

Lester George

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2008, 01:49:50 PM »
That last picture of Cowboys reminds me of a reverse version of number 6 at Seminole.  Cool look Jeff.

Lester

Jay Flemma

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2008, 08:37:44 PM »
Recap:  Cowboys was great fun.  Colonial was surreal in the dormant stage.  I keep missing tony on the phone to go over deets for my article, but we had a great time.  Parred 3 on the Horseshoe, but went 4-6 on the other two..  Turtle Hill was a great sleeper!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2008, 07:45:58 AM »
Recap:  Cowboys was great fun.  Colonial was surreal in the dormant stage.  I keep missing tony on the phone to go over deets for my article, but we had a great time.  Parred 3 on the Horseshoe, but went 4-6 on the other two..  Turtle Hill was a great sleeper!

You made it to Turtle Hill! That's awesome, now I'm getting jealous that I couldn't come up this weekend.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back