News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Larson

Re: Myrtle Beach Suggestions
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 01:18:23 PM »
As an alum of Coastal Carolina U, Dunes Club is a must if you have never been. All of the Mike Strantz courses. I would hit Grande Dunes. I would also go to Barefoot Landing. My first college internship was doing the construction at Barefoot on the Dye and Fazio courses. Ive recently returned and was very pleased with how they've matured. If you can do some day trips I would also go down to Pawleys Plantation and maybe try to get on Yeamans Hall.

Tim McManus

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 02:00:25 PM »
Caledonia is my favorite.  Heritage is right next door and also very good.  Shaftesbury Glen doesn't get much attention, but always ranks among our group's favorites.  Large contoured greens which are pretty firm by Myrtle standards, wide fairways, some interesting angles, not too much water, good bunkering.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008, 09:41:53 PM »
For some odd reason, I was LESS than impressed with the Dye Course at Barefoot. Uninteresting at best. the cute Russian girl working in the snack shop was the only highlight there. We played TPC MB, Wild Wing Avocet, King's North as well and all were better than the Dye Club.

Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

CJ Carder

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008, 09:46:50 PM »
For some odd reason, I was LESS than impressed with the Dye Course at Barefoot. Uninteresting at best. the cute Russian girl working in the snack shop was the only highlight there. We played TPC MB, Wild Wing Avocet, King's North as well and all were better than the Dye Club.

Rich,

I can't say I disagree with you.  While I haven't played the Dye, I have played both Love and Fazio at Barefoot and got the same exactly feeling.  Either one would rank (at best) near the bottom of the top 15 that I've played down there.  Add in the price and the lack of discount usually available there, and I've always been of the opinion that there are better bargains up and down the strand.

CJ

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 10:01:22 PM »
I almost recommend you try The Long Bay Club.  Mid-80s Jack Nicklaus.  We need to see and study all ends of the spectrum.  I will let you guess which end this is on, but every now again you need to see something like this.

The Dunes Club is by far the best I have played down there.

Hooters Air has officially closed up.

For all those that love big box stores there is a golf retailer down there called Martins that is good for at least 1-2 hours of browsing.

Scott Whitley

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2008, 09:33:50 PM »
I'm a fan of Legends Moorland as well.  Perhaps a bit "over the top" but a lot of fun to play and many memorable holes.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2008, 09:59:46 PM »
Personal opinions re the last several posts on this thread:

1. Long Bay is a awful; just a mess of mounding and ugly, excessive bunkering.  Save your money, gas, and time.  There are a zillion better options.

2. The Moorlands is the third best course at the Legends, and by a LOT.  I'd play twice at either of the other two rather than play Moorland a second time.  Badly, badly overcooked, and only worth seeing to get a feel for the difference between Pete Dye and P.B. Dye.

3.  Price IS problem at Barefoot, but the Love Course is worth the effort.  If you are only going to play one of the 4 there, the Love is the one.  It is one of the best half dozen or so of the MB courses, and when you include The Dunes, Caledonia, True Blue, Heathland, Tiger's Eye, Tidewater, and so on, that is pretty good company.

BTW, at one time you could buy a pass at the Legends that allowed you one round at Barefoot with 3 or 4 at the Legends.  It was a pretty good deal; not sure if that is still available or not.

Martin's is now owned by the PGA Superstore chain, though they've elected to leave the Martin's name out front.  Remarkable stores, with great customer service, though I don't know if they are making money or not.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2008, 12:23:54 AM »
1..Wachesaw East Plantation surprised me...great variety of holes in spite of the routing through condos and homes.

2..A little old school never hurts, even if it's Rees Jones.  Arcadian Shores is in ehh condition but the routing is classic early MB.

3..Thistle up north is like a small-sized tour course.  It has great holes that don't beat you up with distance.  I played all three nines and enjoyed the strategy of all 27 holes.  Good job, Tim Cate!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike_Cirba

Re: Myrtle Beach Suggestions New
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2008, 12:32:13 AM »
Jeez, this is an interesting thread and it's wild to see how opinions vary.

For my taste, if I had to ever play "Heritage Plantation" again I'd slit my wrists as it 's one of the absolutely worst, abysmal excuses for architecture I've ever seen.

As much as I can't stand much of Rees Jones's work, I'd also agree with the post that cited Arcadian Shores as a very worthwhile effort.

The Dunes Club is absolutely RTJ Sr. as good as it gets.   There's a very valid reason it's been a Top 100 stalwart on various listings.

Heathlands at the legends is quite good, the Parkland course there is just a mish-mosh of half-conceived great ideas, superb shaping and purposefully varied holes that seem to scream out for acceptance, but I've never played the stranger-looking-from-a-distance Moorland.

I also think the Davis Love course at Barefoot Landing is good, but not quite as good as many on here might attest.  ;)

Caledonia is wonderful, but not worth the numbers I've seen thrown around here.   True Blue is brilliant, but flawed, like Van Gogh on a Saturday night bender.

If you are looking for more reasoned, less visceral opinions, I'll stop here.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 12:35:10 AM by MikeCirba »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back