News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Myrtle Beach Suggestions
« on: December 21, 2008, 07:27:24 PM »
I know that this thread pops up a lot, but I'm headed to Myrtle in the spring.  I have played sevral courses which include, True Blue. Tidewater, Tigers Eye, Rivers Edge, Barefoot Love and Fazio, Heathlands, and The Dunes Club.  Any suggestions of other good courses?  I want to play Caledonia, but its lways $185.00 when I go there in spring.  Is that course worth that much money?  Most of the other courses I've played during off times so they were not that expensive. Can anyone suggest 3 good courses I should play that I havn't yet?

Mike Boehm

Re: Myrtle Beach Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 08:31:01 PM »
I think you've laid out the best courses in the Strand in your list.  I have played all of the top courses in Myrtle other than Dunes (they aerate every year when my group goes), and I would say Caledonia is a clear #1 for me and most of my group.  However, $185 is a bit steep for it.

My favorites not on your list would be Heritage, King's North and TPC Myrtle.  All three are a lot of fun to play, have a good amount of eye candy  and probably a little more architectural merit than some would give them credit for.  Glen Dornoch is also worth playing.  No others come immediately to mind.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 08:34:25 PM »
wow it's tough to believe Cali hits $184 in high season.  That's the upper limit of what I'll pay, barring exceptional circumstances.

Will you return any time soon?  Like shoulder season?  If you'll never go back, pay it.  If you plan to go back some other time, wait till shoulder season.  But yes, Cali is still my fave on the GS.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 09:21:49 PM »
Rick,

Even though it's a private club, I'm betting with a little advance planning you can get on Wachesaw Plantation, which is a good Tom Fazio where Michael Strantz did the shaping.

I think you'll enjoy it.

CJ Carder

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 09:29:38 PM »
I know that this thread pops up a lot, but I'm headed to Myrtle in the spring.  I have played several courses which include, True Blue. Tidewater, Tigers Eye, Rivers Edge, Barefoot Love and Fazio, Heathlands, and The Dunes Club.  Any suggestions of other good courses?  I want to play Caledonia, but its always $185.00 when I go there in spring.  Is that course worth that much money?  Most of the other courses I've played during off times so they were not that expensive. Can anyone suggest 3 good courses I should play that I haven't yet?

Obviously if you've been to the area before, you'll know this, but just keep in mind the vast distance that "Myrtle Beach" covers.  From what you've listed, Tidewater, Tiger's Eye, and River's Edge fall into the "North Myrtle" category, Barefoot x2, Heathland, and Dunes are more "Central Myrtle," and True Blue is really the only one you have listed that is further south in Pawley's Island.

Are you trying to do 36 in a day?  I imagine in the spring, depending on when you go, that might be difficult.  But just keep the distances in mind. 

I agree with Jay, I've played both Glen Dornoch and TPC and would absolutely try and fit in TPC for the southern swing if the price at Caledonia is too high.

Check out www.golfdesk.com - I've found their packages to be pretty good and not too expensive either.  We went in June a few years ago and played 5 rounds of golf + 4 nights in an apartment for $500 total.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 09:45:08 PM »
My family vacations at Pawleys Plantation, and I think it's pretty good--someday I'll get around to doing a My Home Course on it.  It's a Jack Nicklaus course with some ball-busting par 4s and two very scenic par 3s on the back nine.

Indian Wells is an intriguing older-style course that won't break the bank.

I liked the Dye course at Barefoot when I played it a few years ago.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Rick Sides

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 09:57:07 PM »
Just found out that Caledonia is charging $ 204.00 for a spring tee time! That's ridiculous.

Rick Sides

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 10:03:41 PM »
A couple other interesting prices for Myrtle Beach Spring 2009:

Dunes Club $216.00
World Tour $183.00
Tidewater  $182.00
All the Barefoot Courses $190.00
TPC $170.00
Glen Dornoch $160.00

These prices make me laugh.  Are people really going to pay that much money for these courses in our economy?  I can understand paying 200+ dollars for a top 50 course, but these?

Andy Hughes

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 10:04:52 PM »
Rick, I would put in a vote for the Moorland course at the Legends. No matter what anyone says (and they will  ;)), it has some fun and unusual holes.

I too like Caledonia--but not for $204.

Can't say anything either way, but Pine Lakes was being re-done and might be worth a look.

PS Am i alone in thinking Glen Dornoch was not very good?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 10:06:01 PM »
Just found out that Caledonia is charging $ 204.00 for a spring tee time! That's ridiculous.

Supply & demand... if demand goes down, so will the prices. Unlike the UK where the prices just keep going up regardless of demand.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bart Bradley

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 10:43:45 PM »
Rick, I would put in a vote for the Moorland course at the Legends. No matter what anyone says (and they will  ;)), it has some fun and unusual holes.

I too like Caledonia--but not for $204.

Can't say anything either way, but Pine Lakes was being re-done and might be worth a look.

PS Am i alone in thinking Glen Dornoch was not very good?

Andy:

I agree with you about Glen Dornoch...very disappointing.  Plenty of better choices.

Bart

Mark_Amundson

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 10:53:10 PM »
I was in Myrtyle Beach late this fall and played three days in a row.  Two of the days we played the two courses at Grande Dunes and the other day we played Tidewater.  I thought both of courses at Grande Dunes were very good with the members course being the better test.  Both courses were in very good condition and the greens at the members course were EXCELLENT.  I do not know the rates for the three courses as it was a hosted event.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 11:13:37 PM »

Dunes Club $216.00
World Tour $183.00
Tidewater  $182.00
TPC $170.00
Glen Dornoch $160.00

These prices make me laugh.  Are people really going to pay that much money for these courses in our economy?  I can understand paying 200+ dollars for a top 50 course, but these?

I guess the golf starved Yankee has traditionally had deep pockets!!

The only think I can offer, other than 'Don't Go There, Then' is - Airfares are cheap! And I'm just itching to fly Hooters.

We need PriceLine for golf!
Thanks to GeoffShack's insistence, I just tried it and stayed in Santa Monica (Sheraton, not bad)  for $90 a night with my wife!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 11:32:33 PM »

Dunes Club $216.00
World Tour $183.00
Tidewater  $182.00
TPC $170.00
Glen Dornoch $160.00

These are walk-in rates. Most who visit MB do so on a golf/accommodations package. You can book a package in high season that includes golf at the best courses, first class accommodations, breakfast buffet and all the practice range time you can handle for less than $200 per day... including Caledonia and True Blue.

Here is a link to one of my favorite packages: http://www.islandpackage.com/index.html#rates

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 06:34:55 AM »
Agree with Mike C.  The back nine at Wachesaw Plantation could be the best nine on The Strand.

JC

Rich Goodale

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 06:43:16 AM »

Glen Dornoch $160.00

Royal Dornoch $135.00

Why even think of Myrtle Beach?  There is no Hooters in Scotland but there are a lot of hooters, and the golf is incomparable.......

Jfaspen

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 08:52:56 AM »
I know that this thread pops up a lot, but I'm headed to Myrtle in the spring.  I have played sevral courses which include, True Blue. Tidewater, Tigers Eye, Rivers Edge, Barefoot Love and Fazio, Heathlands, and The Dunes Club.  Any suggestions of other good courses?  I want to play Caledonia, but its lways $185.00 when I go there in spring.  Is that course worth that much money?  Most of the other courses I've played during off times so they were not that expensive. Can anyone suggest 3 good courses I should play that I havn't yet?

I've heard Prestwick is a stern test.  Long Bay isn't a bad deal.  Caledonia is an amazing place.  Playing 18 with the sun setting is one of my favorite memories in golf.

The Reserve at Litchfield is well worth your time if you can get on.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 09:39:35 AM »
Prestwick is a fine course... old school Pete Dye with lots of old world features. Prestwick opened in 1989 as a private club, but had to go public in 1995... following somewhat the UK club model in that members still have blocks of preferred tee times. This course is truly a "hidden gem" that more folks who visit the Grand Strand should consider.

Jim Tang

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 10:07:16 AM »
You might consider The Witch, which probably will somewhat less espensive than the other courses listed here.  I loved this layout.  Many of the holes are isolated from each other by think vegetation and trees and there are no homes on the course.  It is a very natural setting.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 10:19:21 AM »
A lot of people like the Witch.  We sometimes don't give Dan Maples as much credit as he deserves - by that I mean we almost never talk about him and he is an icon in the Pinehurst area and a super-nice guy.  And his family are all about GCA.  His son Brad is the next young budding architect in the family.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 11:10:52 AM »
Re the fees at Caledonia:  One thing you might try is a 1 day deal to play both Caledonia and True Blue.  I know that is available in the summer, and reduces the total cost significantly.  Call either course and ask about that deal.

"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Bart Bradley

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 11:21:20 AM »
Rick:

Certainly the prices you have listed are daunting, but, as others have mentioned, the "real" price will be substantially less if you book through a trip planner.  I agree that Brian at golfdesk is great and also have had luck staying at the Legends and having them book the courses.

Caledonia is a must see if you can get the price right...I think Heritage is pretty good too...What about playing 36 at Caledonia ..there might be replay rate.  Noone has mentioned Oyster Bay and it had some nice holes.

Good luck,

Bart

Bill Brightly

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 11:54:49 AM »
Rick,

Don't know if you are planning of 36 holes a day, but having set up a few of these trips, I have found that the twilight rates can save you a lot of money on certain courses, not so much on others. I always get both rates and then plan to play the expensive ones in the PM.

I always enjoy Kings North and Tidewater. Also, the Dunes Club if you can get on.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 12:47:11 PM »
A lot of people like the Witch.  We sometimes don't give Dan Maples as much credit as he deserves - by that I mean we almost never talk about him and he is an icon in the Pinehurst area and a super-nice guy.  And his family are all about GCA.  His son Brad is the next young budding architect in the family.

Jay (and Jim Tang)
The Witch is a good example of what sometimes gets lost in the shuffle of MB golf.  It is a very good layout, and if it were a private club or daily fee in an area where it was more isolated, IMO it would get lots of recognition.  Instead, at MB it is a second or third tier course.  The Pearl West, another Maples design, is a similar situation.

Courses like these two are why I sometimes get a little cranky with the criticisms of MB golf.  There are some very good golf courses there that a lumped together and not given their due.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jay Flemma

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 01:03:26 PM »
The Pit is another that has some really good moments, along with a couple tough holes like 8 and the par-3 that looks like Sawgrass 17.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back