News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

With our recent thread linking to video of "king of firm and fast" supe Scott Anderson at HV talking about course maintenance, I thought some selected photos of mine from a recent visit (late November) to this special place is in order.  I'm thankful for the opportunity given to me to see all three nines and snap a few photos.  The lighting for many of the holes was wonderful and subtle contours of some of the fairways and greens can be detected.  All 190+ photos are available as a photo album here (where my commentary is included, which was aided greatly by fellow GolfClubAtlas members Matt O'Brien and Kyle Harris):

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/Huntingdon/index.html

Update:  a June 2017 photo album is here:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/HuntingdonValley/index.html

HV has three nines that some call the A, B, and C nines.  I'll do so here as well.  Most people consider the "18 hole" layout at HVCC to be the A and B nines, with the C nine (the Centennial nine a nice tough bonus!).  :)

And don't forget to read the excellent write-up by Ran on HVCC here:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/huntingdonvalley1.html

All photos below are "clickable" to a larger size.

A_No1 (par 4)

A_No2 (par 4)

A_No3 (one-time Redan-ish par 3)

A_No4 (par 4)

A_No5 (par 3)

A_No6 (par 4)

A_No7 (par 5)

A_No8 (par 4)

A_No9 (par 4)

B_No1 (par 4)

B_No2 (par 4)

B_No3 (par 4)

B_No4 (par 3)

B_No5 (par 4)

B_No6 (par 5)

B_No7 (par 4)

B_No8 (par 3)

B_No9 (par 4)

Okay, now on to the hardest of the three nines, the C nine, also called the Centennial nine.

C_No1 (par 4)

C_No2 (par 4)

This pin position was devilish!

C_No3 (par 5)

C_No4 (par 3)

C_No5 (par 4)

C_No6 (par 3)

C_No7 (par 4)

Did you notice the big great blue heron near the bridge on the last pic?  Well, that fellow crop dusted me as he went by!

(we're starting to run out of light now....)

C_No8 (par 4)

C_No9 (par 4)

I took this one as we walked from B_No9 to C_No1 as I knew we would be short on light:

I hope you enjoyed the tour.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 02:25:14 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

David Stamm

Re: Photo tour of Huntingdon Valley
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 05:40:28 PM »
Thank you for doing this, Joe. I've wanted to see some good pics of HV for quite some time and this confirms what Wayne and Sully (and others) have told me many times, HV looks wonderful! And it seems they sure have a hell of a super!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 07:26:38 PM »
Those pin positions on the C nine look almost impossible on some of those holes.  Especially holes 2, 4, and 5.  Course looks fantastic though.

Richard Boult

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 07:50:55 PM »
Those pin positions on the C nine look almost impossible on some of those holes.  Especially holes 2, 4, and 5.  Course looks fantastic though.

The pin this day on #2 was not impossible, but certainly quite difficult.  Those pins in the photos of 4 and 5 were not all that hard.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 09:26:52 PM »
I am surprised at the amount of trees on the course.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 10:36:21 PM »
Joe,  Nice pics-is it fair to assume that A and C are the more challenging of the nines? How does this course stack up in terms of shot value with the other Philly top tier tracks?  The approach shots look pretty tough as several are to elevated greens with some severe bunkering greenside. The 9th on A is a beautiful home hole with the impressive clubhouse above. I also was surprised at the volume of trees. Are the greens affected at all with regard to air movement in the dead of summer? Very nice photo tour of a course that I've heard lots of good things about but never seen.      Jack

Brian Joines

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 11:32:17 PM »
I am surprised at the amount of trees on the course.

Agreed. Still, the width seems to be more than ample on the course. Great pics. Thanks Joe!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 06:33:03 AM »
Joe,  Nice pics-is it fair to assume that A and C are the more challenging of the nines? How does this course stack up in terms of shot value with the other Philly top tier tracks?  The approach shots look pretty tough as several are to elevated greens with some severe bunkering greenside. The 9th on A is a beautiful home hole with the impressive clubhouse above. I also was surprised at the volume of trees. Are the greens affected at all with regard to air movement in the dead of summer? Very nice photo tour of a course that I've heard lots of good things about but never seen.      Jack

Jack, the nines increase in difficulty from A to B to C if you subscribe to course ratings and slope.  In fact, the C nine appears to be very difficult (38.8/141 from the tips).  Shot value?  I think HV stands up very well vs other top tier Philly courses.  What really stands out to me is how rarely you have a flat lie in the fairway.

I'll let Kyle Harris comment on air movement.

I think the routing is so interesting at HV.  I think this diagram I put together helps to clearly demonstrate what I mean:

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 09:27:17 AM »
Okay, I've slept on this one. I'll set out some comments for discussion (before Matt O'Brien gets on here with his caddie lore) that point out many of the positive features about Huntingdon Valley. I'll predicate these comments with one note; While Joe's labels of the holes in terms of the A-B-C are correct, it is more common to consider the A-B routing as holes 1-18 with the C routing as holes C-1 through C-9. I apologize for the change in format.

Routing

Tom Doak's comment (in the Confidential Guide) that the golf course was routed by Richard Petty is at best a veiled cut at a seemingly formulaic routing and at worst bad humor. In order to really understand Flynn's routing, one must look past the routing of the nines and look at the topography. As is perhaps apparent in the photos, the course is routed through a Southwest to Northeast valley that ends at the clubhouse and splits North toward C-1 Green and Southeast toward C-3 Green. When facing the A-B nines, the holes either lie on the South facing slope I call the "Right Side" or the North facing slope called the "Left Side." It is through this dichotomy that the purpose of the routing becomes apparent. With the exception of holes 1 and 16, the right side holes are the least severe in terms of fairway slope and awkward lies. This is perhaps most apparent on the A nine, which is routed further up the valley bowl than the B nine.

The left side holes feature some of the more demanding tee shots on the golf course, shots which require correct line and ball flight. This is immediately apparent as the golfer stands on the 6th tee, a blind tee shot to a fairway falling away from and to the golfer's left. The 7th tee shot provides little respite as a series of fairway bunkers further compound the situation. The "up and over" blind tee shot on the 8th is perhaps the most difficult, especially when considering the approach shot. The 9th tee shot, while seemingly benign is a test of getting the correct club as far down the fairway as possible to allow for a level stance into the green.

Contrary to popular belief, the golf course is not simply "Fade the ball on the front and draw the ball on the back." Ample width is provided for the wily golfer to use both shapes to his advantage.

With all this in mind, the routing offers this progression of tee shot severity (This without the Par 3s).

Severe
Mild
Mild
Moderate
Severe
Severe
Moderate
Mild
Mild
Moderate
Mild
Moderate
Severe
Severe

That's a well-balance progression of 4 Moderates and 5 Milds and Severes. Not bad for Mr. Petty.

Greens

Gentleman, welcome to flavor country.

The greens at Huntingdon Valley can be enigmatic. Since the general trend of the terrain is into the bowl, it can be easy to both underestimate the break toward the creek, and overestimate the break toward the creek. Flynn's greens use some very subtle contours (especially apparent on the 3rd and 15th holes) that seemingly break uphill due to the overall slope of the green being masked by the subtle local contours.

The fact is, the greens at Huntingdon Valley could be one of the most educational studies in how the golf architect's craft can be used to hide the hand of man and beguile the mind of the golfer. Flynn's blending of man-made slopes into the hillsides on 2, 3, 6, 9, 10, 12, 15, 16 and 18 all serve to throw the golfer off as to what his contours will do the putt.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 11:46:15 AM »
HV is a fantastic layout that gets little attention / love once you go beyond the immediate 100-mile radius of the greater Philadelphia area. It reminds me - not in terms of design style -- with Plainfield.

Here are two courses that are far better than many might imagine. Yes, both have been rated but often are left in the shadows of others within their respective regions.

Anyone venturing to either of those areas would be best advised to spend some time at either of them.

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 12:08:58 PM »
Scott and Kyle and the Guys of HVGC:

I've been hestitating to even mention this for quite a good while now but I just can't anymore. We have got to start talking tree removal on HVGC, particularly on some of those holes that are totally backdropped by trees that completely block out great natural features, gorgeous backdrop topography and the backdrop vistas of wonderful looking golf holes behind.

That is one gorgeous valley site you have there. Trees are a dime a dozen, so why have them completely nix those gorgeous natural and golf vistas?

Obviously those holes and greens backdropped by public roads and houses are a whole different matter where the backdrop trees help tremendously.

Thanks to the individual hole photos by Joe Bausch lets start discussing tree removal behind particular holes and greens.

Don't worry, I am aware that Linc Roden may totally freak about this but what the Hell it's just a discussion.

Hey, Scott, if this could happen which would clearly open up a number of those greens to more light what would be the agronomic effect, in your opinion?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 12:12:01 PM »
Tom,

When was the last time you were on-site?

Photos lie. There are plenty of vistas.

Joe Bausch

Re: Photo tour of Huntingdon Valley New
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 12:31:25 PM »
I really think this VirtualReality QuickTime movie is pretty neat and nicely shows the valley where the A and B nines are located.  This was taken near the left fw bunkers on A #7.  After it loads in your browser, click on the image and drag to move around.  You can even zoom in and out with certain keys.

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/HVCC_4GCA/panorama.mov
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 12:40:47 PM by Joe Bausch »

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 01:17:35 PM »
Kyle:

I think the last time I was over there was the first week of May during the Baily Cup. Has the club taken down a couple of thousand trees since then I didn't know about. ;) When you come over here I'll show you exactly what I mean. It's not as if we haven't been thinking about it for a few years.

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 02:36:13 PM »
I see a lot of similarity between the 10th hole at HV and the 4th at Lehigh.  I thought Flynn did an excellent job at Lehigh of crossing the valley below with the 4th, and it seems like Flynn did an equally good job at HV with the same routing challenge.  For those of you familiar with HV, do the holes play much the same, and is the green as severe as the 4th at Lehigh?

This photo of #4 at Lehigh from BillV's site:

And for direct comparison, Joe's photo of HV's 10th:

mike_malone

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 02:54:15 PM »
 At the green I believe #10 HVCC's green is angled more and narrower than #4 LCC with a more pronounced ridge running through it. But otherwise, I see your point.
AKA Mayday

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 03:24:03 PM »
Mike:

I have not played HV but judging by the photos, 10 at HV seems to share some similarities with 8 at RG (accounting for different angles) and 4 at Lehigh (which I have played) is more similar to 3 at Lancaster.  Am I mistaken?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 03:28:33 PM »
Mike:

I have not played HV but judging by the photos, 10 at HV seems to share some similarities with 8 at RG (accounting for different angles) and 4 at Lehigh (which I have played) is more similar to 3 at Lancaster.  Am I mistaken?

Rory,

10 at Huntingdon Valley usually plays Driver-Mid or Short iron. I think it's significantly easier than the 8th at Rolling Green.

Charles Scalzott

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 03:37:21 PM »
Thanks to Joe for the inventory of great desktop background images for years to come.  I've said it before that this is one of the most fun courses you could hope to play.  The images provide a surface view of the shot qualities that exist here but can not clearly communicate, to anyone who hasn't played the course, the subtleties (and not so subtleties) of the course that make the shots so great - especially the reaction of the ball with the ground given the regular course conditioning.  It has been well documented that the ground game is alive and well at HVCC - for this reason the options available to the player on each of these holes are great.  Although some of the approaches may look straight forward, it is important to remember that well executed/well thought out shots are required for the desired effect due to the usual firmness of the fairways and greens - this means landing areas away from pins and sometimes off the green in order to get the ball close.  For those who haven't played it, it is a very unique experience that has few (if any) comparable rivals in the Philadelphia region as it relates to playability.

I'll make it a homework assignment to conduct a similar exercise in the summer months of July/August when the "fire" of HVCC is more easily captured in photographs.  In addition, and although much less relevant but all the same still enjoyable, the summer photos will show the beauty of the course with the hardwoods in bloom.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 03:39:46 PM »
Kyle:

Thanks for the follow up.  My eyes deceived me. I assumed that the creek was further to carry.

TEPaul

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 03:43:27 PM »
Mike Erdmann:

I've played Lehigh enough over the years and certainly HVGC a ton of time but I never made any connection between Lehigh's #4 and HVGC's #10 but when one lines of the photos of them next to each other the similarities seem remarkable.

The greens and what one needs to do to both approach them and chip around them or putt on them is certainly different enough though.

Lancaster's #3 is certainly pretty similar to the both of them in various ways but I don't think I'd include RG's #8 in there. Some similarities but not as much as the others.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 03:45:53 PM by TEPaul »

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 04:05:41 PM »
The pictures and lay out look wonderful.
I very much look forward to teeing it up there summer, in their big event.

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 06:23:01 PM »
Michael W-P:

At this point, you just might be the over-all winner for playing in the most of these really special top-flight indivdual stroke play invitationals at the premier clubs and courses. This is good stuff, my friend!   ;)

How about the Coleman; are you in that one yet? If not let's work on it! On the other hand, maybe Slonis is giving you a run for your money this way. I want to see a GCA hosted competition between you guys to see which one of you plays in the most of these kinds of tournaments. We stumble-bums on here can even pick our man between you two and bet on who plays in the most and/or how you guys do in them and that way we can live on here vicariously. I only know you through here and so I don't know your game but I do know Slonis and his game, so right now I'm bettin' on Slonis. Whatta think about that----do you think you can handle him tournament in and tournament out in this kind of invitational over an entire season?

What do you say?

Maybe we even need an onsite reporter from GOLFLCUBATLAS.com to cover this year long competition, and of course, at the moment, that onsite reporter would be me!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 06:30:20 PM by TEPaul »

Mike McGuire

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 07:53:34 PM »

Thanks to the individual hole photos by Joe Bausch lets start discussing tree removal behind particular holes and greens.

Would a skyline green be a nice end here?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back