News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kirk

Re: Stanford Golf Course -- (Hole #14 posted)
« Reply #200 on: May 02, 2009, 12:43:37 PM »
This hole is the least interesting of any on the course.  I think with a little imagination, a cool tiered green could have been built here.  Don't remember any bump in the green, even 40+ years ago.  It's always been a "Get the club right, stupid!" sort of hole, and the club is usually one more than you think because the hole is sneakingly more elevated than the tee.  Next time you play look back after crossing the bridge and see how downhill that looks.  I do seem to remember the barranca being more rough and ready in ye olden days.  Overall, blah.....

Yes, but it yields some interesting putts, big breakers to back pins and middle left pins.

I like the feel of the hole, in that it feels secluded in there, plus the long walk over a really long bridge.  I like it more than most here.  Gee, I like almost every hole of the back nine so far.   I like 14 better than 15 or 17.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #201 on: May 02, 2009, 01:32:44 PM »
This hole is the least interesting of any on the course.  I think with a little imagination, a cool tiered green could have been built here.  Don't remember any bump in the green, even 40+ years ago.  It's always been a "Get the club right, stupid!" sort of hole, and the club is usually one more than you think because the hole is sneakingly more elevated than the tee.  Next time you play look back after crossing the bridge and see how downhill that looks.  I do seem to remember the barranca being more rough and ready in ye olden days.  Overall, blah.....
Rich,
A tiered green would seem less forced into that hillside, unless, of course, it was made to slope into the hill instead of with it. Perhaps a bump or two in the middle (a la the 4th green at Rustic Canyon) could spice things up.

Patrick,
What about a GRASS bunker short of the green?

Capt. Kirk,
Stick to your guns. The fact that we don't really like the hole should make it more apealing to others. ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 01:29:20 AM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Ian_L

« Reply #202 on: May 02, 2009, 04:20:13 PM »
I'm with John on this one.  I don't know why, but for some reason I always look forward to playing this hole.  I do agree that some more interesting green contours would be an improvement, but it is certainly challenging enough as is.

Kyle, out of curiosity, why do you think grass bunkers would improve the hole?  I think the recovery is challenging as it is, and with trouble on all other sides, I don't see the need.  Just my opinion, of course.

This is also the last time we cross San Francisquito Creek (once on each of the first four par 3's)...

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #203 on: May 02, 2009, 05:10:33 PM »
I think the recovery is challenging as it is, and with trouble on all other sides, I don't see the need.  Just my opinion, of course.

Ian,

So it sounds like you can recover from below the hole and the ball doesn't run off into the barranca.  In that case, I'd agree then.  No need for a sand or grass bunker.  Tough to tell from the pics if that was indeed the case or not.

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Ian_L

« Reply #204 on: May 02, 2009, 06:06:33 PM »
I think the recovery is challenging as it is, and with trouble on all other sides, I don't see the need.  Just my opinion, of course.

Ian,

So it sounds like you can recover from below the hole and the ball doesn't run off into the barranca.  In that case, I'd agree then.  No need for a sand or grass bunker.  Tough to tell from the pics if that was indeed the case or not.

Patrick, that's correct.  A ball hit into the hill will hold easily.  Only badly mishit shots will find the creek.  Short is in my opinion the place to miss.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #205 on: June 28, 2009, 09:35:25 PM »
Bump.  Where did the 15-18 discussion go?
course architect

Ian_L

« Reply #206 on: June 28, 2009, 09:56:49 PM »
Hi Patrick,  I'm away for the next four weeks.  After that, I promise to get #15 posted, sorry for the delay.

Ian_L

Re: Stanford Golf Course -- (Hole #15 posted)
« Reply #207 on: September 01, 2010, 12:41:41 AM »
Well, a few things got in the way but here is the 15th hole, just a bit late. Sorry for the delay, I look forward to continuing the discussion on this course.

Hole #15 -- Par 4

Cardinal: 361yds
Black: 347yds
White: 320yds
Blue: 299yds

In 1930: 355yds

Aerials: http://stanfordmensgolf.org/aerials/aerial15.htm

Missing quantity and quality in pictures of this hole. Help is greatly appreciated.

The 15th hole is a short par 4 that plays severely downhill on the tee shot, one you'll be hitting more than once if you're not careful. Out of bounds guards the entire right side of the hole, with native grass just a few yards off the fairway on the left.  The aggressive play is hitting your drive along the tree line, likely leaving a wedge to the green.  An easy play for the skilled golfer, but very intimidating for someone like me who sees the white stakes on the right.  A layup with a fairway wood or long iron brings the native grass on the left into play (about a 40-50% chance of finding your ball in there). If you choose to lay up, you'll likely be surprised at the distance left to the green. The shot is not easy, even a mid- or short-iron is difficult from a downhill lie to a shallow green protected by a bunker in front.

Tee shot:

No pictures of the approach, unfortunately. Looking back from the green:

A severe back-to-front slope at the back of the green helps stop approach shots, but leaves some very difficult recovery shots from behind and left of the green (this photo taken from the back left):

A couple more pictures: http://golfcourse.stanford.edu/hole15.htm

Looking at the aerials, it's clear how drastically the hole has been narrowed down the left side, with native grass where fairway used to be and added bunkers "defining" the dogleg on the left. These changes make the hole more difficult for the average golfer but do nothing for the good player who is likely going over the trees on the right anyway.  The reduced width lessens the strategy of the hole in my opinion.

I can't wait to hear how others have done on this hole. The hole looks easy on the scorecard, and certainly looks easier than #6 and #9, two other holes which routinely give me problems. I've had scores from 4 to 11 on this hole and still haven't decided on a particular strategy. I summoned the courage to take out the driver during my last round there and played it too safe, blasting it over the leftmost fairway bunker and into the trees. A pitch-out into another fairway bunker and a three-putt resulted in a 7. An added difficulty is that the tee shot usually plays directly into the wind.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #208 on: September 01, 2010, 01:47:57 AM »
Ian,

I was about to call you a slacker  ;) .

course architect

Ian_L

« Reply #209 on: September 03, 2010, 12:00:09 AM »
Quick comment (and a chance for those who missed #15 before moving on):

The 12th hole is now even longer from the black tees, from 427 to 446 yards. The tees were switched with the white tee (formerly a par 5), which is now a 427-yard par 4.  This change was done sometime this spring or early summer. Thoughts?

Jason Topp

« Reply #210 on: March 15, 2012, 03:44:10 PM »
Ian - any chance of finishing this?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #211 on: March 15, 2012, 03:58:27 PM »
What a blast from the past....

...other than Pats review of NGLA, this has to be the longest course review ever on GCA.com!!  ;D

John Kirk

« Reply #212 on: March 16, 2012, 01:55:14 AM »
Hi Ian,

The old green, pre-renovation, was more sloped, very high in the back left of the green and steeply down to back right pins.

Drives down the right side are often blocked by a large live oak tree.

astavrides

« Reply #213 on: May 04, 2012, 12:54:11 AM »
I'll finish it.  16 is a par 5, 17 a par 3, 18 a par 4, 19 a par 3, and 20 a beer.

Ian_L

« Reply #214 on: June 04, 2012, 10:37:38 PM »
OK, I think 3 1/2 years for a course review is long enough...

Hole #16 -- Par 5

Cardinal: 500yds
Black: 490yds
White: 438yds
Blue: 432yds

In 1930: 500yds

Aerials: http://stanfordmensgolf.org/aerials/aerial16.htm

The most tiring walk on the course begins here, with a 500 yard par 5 straight up the hill (soon to be followed by the uphill 17th and another climb to the 18th tee). In no small part due to this, I have very few pictures of the 16th hole.

The hole is reachable in two solid shots for longer hitters. The tee shot must stay between the trees on the left and the fairway bunker on the right. A drive down the left side has a good chance of landing on the back of a hump, adding an extra 10 yards.

From the tee:

Looking back at the tee from 300 yards out in the fairway. You can see the "kicker" on the right side of the picture:

While some of the intrigue of the second shot has been eliminated by the covering of a creek that used to cross the hole, there remains a difficult question of where to lay up. A layup down the right must be left 110 yards out or more to avoid issues with the trees. On the other hand, a shot into the gully leaves an awkward uphill wedge shot with the ball usually below the golfer's feet. From the course's website:

The green is cut into the side of a hill, with grass bunkers creating awkward chips for shots missed to the right. The front third of the green is one of the most difficult on the course - I have putted off the front of the green twice.

Looking towards the fairway from the green:

View from short and right of the green:

From right of the green. This is a back hole location. Any shot missed long will be difficult to even keep on this green:

Looking back from the 18th tee:

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back