News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gene Greco

Re: Best Food/Signature Dishes/Signature Drinks at Golf Clubs
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2008, 01:16:33 PM »

Here's a mushroom cheesesteak with fried onions:

That cheesesteak seems to be missing the cheese   ???

That looks like crap. Canned mushrooms have a large poison potential. I cannot imagine anything less appetizing

I agree with John. This picture should be removed. :P

I would think that this slop would be at the botom of almost any list of "best food, etc."
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

PCCraig

« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2008, 02:32:26 PM »

That looks like crap. Canned mushrooms have a large poison potential. I cannot imagine anything less appetizing

I would think that this slop would be at the botom of almost any list of "best food, etc."

I would rather eat that then the snapper soup at PV or anywhere for that matter. Anyone who says they actually like snapper soup is totally full of it.

That being said...the Fernando at TCC is lethal. After I won the 2007 caddy tournament I celebrated by drinking about 6 of those things...on my bike ride home that night I ended up going west instead of east into the city.
H.P.S.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2008, 03:20:09 PM »
Regarding the "Fernando" at the Country Club, what exactly is in it? 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2008, 03:45:18 PM »
With regard to drinks, the "Captain's Choice" at Alwoodley is a really good drink (although non-alcoholic  :o ) that contains lemonade and ginger beer.  It is really refreshing and tasty, I had a couple before diving into the beer.

Jason Connor

« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2008, 03:54:30 PM »
I remember the tomato soup at Oakmont being spectacular.

And anything sitting on the patio after a day at Black tastes pretty good.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2008, 03:58:38 PM »

I would rather eat that then the snapper soup at PV or anywhere for that matter. Anyone who says they actually like snapper soup is totally full of it.

Can't see how it could be any good in a hot culinary zone like southern New Jersey, but Galatoire's and Commander's both are excellent.

And pretty much anybody west of N.O. can make a killer turtle sauce piquant.

John_Cullum

« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2008, 04:01:08 PM »

That being said...the Fernando at TCC is lethal. After I won the 2007 caddy tournament I celebrated by drinking about 6 of those things...on my bike ride home that night I ended up going west instead of east into the city.

That's two strikes against the snapper soup, very interesting. Do the members seem to like it. Maybe it's a joke their pulling on the guests
"We finally beat Medicare. "

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2008, 01:52:03 AM »
Effen Vodka @ Aronimink.  :P

Tom Yost

« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2008, 08:48:46 AM »
Effen Vodka @ Aronimink.  :P

How does one order that?  "Give me an EFFEN vodka !!"

Bill Gayne

« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2008, 10:00:22 AM »
What's the custom in China and Japan for a halfway house?

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2008, 11:05:33 AM »
Bill
Cant speak for China or Japan .

But for SE Asia , halfway huts every 3rd hole are the norm , where its advisable to take on water .

Personally I think they are just an excuse for a blether , and slow things down , grab a beer and go is us Scots preferred way  ;)

PCCraig

« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2008, 03:15:55 PM »
Regarding the "Fernando" at the Country Club, what exactly is in it? 

That's a good question. I think it is essentially a rum heavy long island?
H.P.S.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2008, 11:16:30 PM »
It would take a lot of convincing before I would drink something called a Fernando. 

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2008, 07:29:19 AM »
With regard to drinks, the "Captain's Choice" at Alwoodley is a really good drink (although non-alcoholic  :o ) that contains lemonade and ginger beer.  It is really refreshing and tasty, I had a couple before diving into the beer.

Bill
It's ginger beer with lime and angostura bitters.  Very refreshing and a good drink when you've got to drive home afterwards ;D
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Ted Kramer

« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2008, 08:01:53 AM »
Kind of a stretch, but . . .
The bacon, egg, and cheese on a roll (2 eggs fried, salt, pepper, ketchup, tabasco)
at the deli across the street from Lido is fantastic.
They have good coffee there too.

-Ted

Deucie Bies

« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2008, 10:20:17 AM »
I forgot to mention the moscow mule at Laurel Valley.  They are in copper mugs and are vodka and ginger beer (I think)! 

Scott Whitley

« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2008, 09:50:38 PM »
Kummel (a drink) at Royal County Down.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2008, 09:59:26 PM »
On my past visits to Turnberry , its always been a welcome hot cup of tomato soup at the halfway hut .

This year it was a heartburn inducing cauliflower and garlic !

What a start to theback 9  :(

Jason Mandel

« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2008, 11:26:38 PM »

That's two strikes against the snapper soup, very interesting. Do the members seem to like it. Maybe it's a joke their pulling on the guests

Sarge,

I'm a very pick eater.  I've lived in Philadelphia for 29 years,  and pretty much avoided Snapper Soup like the plague.  Its found mostly at old golf clubs in philadelphia, plus a handful of restaurants (bookbinders among others).  This summer I got the opportunity to play pine Valley for the first time.  I didn't know if I ever get back there so I tried to savor every moment and soak it all in.  We played in a heat wave and when we finished it must have been close to 100 degrees and with the humidity it felt  a lot hotter than that. 

When it came time for lunch I told myself  I had to order the Snapper soup, I just had to.  Snapper soup, cheeseburger and a yuengling at Pine Valley.  The soup turned out to be very good, and I'm glad I ordered it and would do so again.

Regarding the pic of that cheesesteak, thats a dalesandro's cheesesteak, which for a long time was legendary in philadelphia.  It's been sold a few times in the past year and I've heard some mixed things.  But if you get up to philadelphia, you must have a cheesesteak, with, or without the mushrooms ;)

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back