News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Re: Bunkers in the middle of fairways
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 02:18:37 PM »
TK
That would be the qoute I was thinking of...I am impressed..thank you.

Glad to know that I agree with such a great man...I was just thinking the wrong man ;D

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 02:42:32 PM »
Ally and Anthony,

Here's 16 at TOC.

jeffmingay.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 02:53:58 PM »
This is the long, par-4 13th hole at Blackhawk GC, in Edmonton, Alberta. "Blind" bunkers in the centre of the fairway here create a lot of discussion. 

Here's the tee shot, up over a slight rise. Clearly, the aforementioned bunkers are "invisible"... but the fairway is nearly 100 yards wide. (Look closely and you can see a "barber pole" on the horizon line, in the distance, which is intend to indicate the ideal line down the left side of the fairway.)

Another shot, looking over said bunkers, toward the green.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:56:10 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Matt Bosela

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 03:49:39 PM »
Here are a couple that make you stop and think about what club to hit. The tee shot on hole 2 is a pest, prevailing wind from left to right and slightly in the face. It will cost you a shot if you are in it, as it is intended. The tee shot on 17 a par 5 asks you to make a decision, as well as the lay up. 100 yards to the center of the green is between the twin bunkers in the fairway. the photo is taken from approx 250 yards out.

Michael,

Is this Eagles Nest in Toronto?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 03:55:27 PM »
Perhaps its been over discussed but the 3rd at PD comes to mind.  Here is an aerial view.  Into the prevailing summer wind those centerline bunkers can come into play on both the drive and 2nd shot.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 04:02:36 PM »
Ally and Anthony,

Here's 16 at TOC.

Ally,

Sorry. 16th TOC those are centerline bunkers. It just looks a little different from the ground.

Anthony

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 11:30:16 PM »
Not often you would get this - both bad and good examples back to back !!!

Hole 11 = KH

The centreline bunkers weren't always there ?.....those off to the right make the drive too tight IMO

http://www.kingstonheath.com.au/guests/course/hole11.mhtml

Hole 12 =KH

A great example of strategic design.

Take the shorter route to the left to allow better access to the green in two on a direct line but potentially flirt with the hazard just off to the left or take the safer route out to the right and make the hole longer and bring the front right bunkers into play.

http://www.kingstonheath.com.au/guests/course/hole12.mhtml

Mike Wagner

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2008, 11:40:17 PM »
I'm not a big an of the fairway bunkers on #11 at Bandon.  A good drive down the right is not rewarded with much of an angle (toughest green to hold ever).  I would have aligned them the opposite and rewarded a riskier drive down the left, yielding a more rewarding approach.

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2008, 01:52:49 AM »

Thanks all for the feedback and images. Appreciated.

Cheers

Chris Kane

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2008, 02:00:16 AM »
I don't know whether I'd call 16 on TOC a hole with centreline bunkers.  Yes, it is a legitimate strategic play to go left of them, but that area is all rough.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2008, 02:39:30 AM »
Chris,

left of the Principal's Nose there is plenty of fairway or there was last time I was there in the spring. It is a brave call to play to the right of it for most players.

Chris Kane

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2008, 02:46:02 AM »
Jon, the photo shows it as rough, and I remember it being rough every time I played it.  Not a nice shot from there with a dodgy lie.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2008, 04:53:48 AM »
I don't know whether I'd call 16 on TOC a hole with centreline bunkers.  Yes, it is a legitimate strategic play to go left of them, but that area is all rough.

Actually, now I'm looking at the hole plan, I tend to agree with this... Was the area left and long ever cut as fairway?... probably not... The strategic play seems to be left and short or right and long and dangerous...

I always count the 16th at TOC as THE classic example of centreline bunker strategy though... Because the 4th at Woking was modelled on it and it was widely considered the first example of man-made strategic design on a golf course...

paul cowley

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2008, 05:11:16 AM »
I routinely design holes with centerline hazards.

Sometimes after staking the preferred routing, I will place a bunker square in the center of the landing area and design the rest of the hole from there.....actually it tends to design itself!

I call them Traffic Cop bunkers.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2008, 06:04:15 AM »
Jon, the photo shows it as rough, and I remember it being rough every time I played it.  Not a nice shot from there with a dodgy lie.

Chris,

as I recall, the rough comes first when you get past the PN bunkers. I quite often lay up short and left of them leaving a longer shot in but with my twichy slice the OB right can some times seem very close. I should be in St.A on thursday so I will take a look then if I have the chance.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back