News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Clouser

Making the turn
« on: December 10, 2008, 04:01:31 PM »
This probably only applies to courses with two distinct loops of nine, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

How much do you notice if the front nine ends strongly and is followed by a strong beginning to the back?  Is that a preference anyone has or do you expect that a less stellar hole might end the front nine to make it back to the clubhouse?

I was trying to think of a course that finishes the front very strong and begins as strong on the back nine.  The best example I could think of was Prairie Dunes.  That stretch of 8 thorugh 11 is about as good as I have seen.  What others would fit this category.

Do you also take into consideration the opportunity at the turn to stop and get a quick bite to eat or drink in your experience?  Do you miss it if you play a course that doesn't have this?

Michael Ryan

Re: Making the turn
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 04:46:02 PM »
Shinnecock ends the front nine with a fantastic 9th hole and then the player goes through as good a stretch as any in 10 through 14.

JESII

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 04:50:20 PM »
Huntingdon Valley has a really good and varied stretch of par fours from 8 through 12...

I think a dedicated half way house where sandwhiches are available and tables are set is a detriment to a good golf culture.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 04:52:03 PM »
Our course's 9th is actually the #1 handicap hole by actual scoring records but is listed #3 because the course raters don't want a 9th or 18th to finish as hardest on that side, for match play-betting purposes, as I understand it.  Our 10th is #6 handi and 11th is 2nd hand.  In the State tournament, #12 played hardest hole on the course, yet is rated #8th.  Go figure...?  But, I really like that strength at the finish of 9 and in the middle of the round.  

We have excellent brats, hamburgers and weiners at the turn, to promote proper brat slippage opportunities off the demanding 10th tee, up hill dogleg right, par 5.   I try to resist, however as it usually makes me uncomfortable to eat anything more than a banana at the turn, as the beer and treats after the round are ample.   ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 04:53:59 PM »
8-11 at Lancaster is probably the most demanding stretch on the course

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 05:12:08 PM »
You'll be shocked to learn that I believe Oakmont is particularly strong going into and out of the turn; then again, I believe it to be strong everywhere.

I'm guessing at Dick's course, there are topless members of both sexes with Packers jerseys painted on, even on the coldest of days... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 05:22:22 PM »
I was trying to think of a course that finishes the front very strong and begins as strong on the back nine.  The best example I could think of was Prairie Dunes.  That stretch of 8 thorugh 11 is about as good as I have seen.  What others would fit this category.

George says Oakmont, of course I must counter with Pebble Beach.  8-10 are pretty damn strong there also.   ;)

Thinking about this further, there seems to be little rhyme or reason to strength of these turn holes, nor relation to halfway house/return to clubhouse.  There are examples of all types and I can't seem to ascertain any rule.  Maybe others can.

mike_beene

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 09:46:19 PM »
Ninth holes are like offensive linemen.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 12:49:06 PM »
Mike,

Care to elaborate?   :)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 01:39:17 PM »
Even better, how about courses which start and end both nines strongly, so that the return to the clubhouse has this feature whether you start at the 1st or 10th.  I think 1, 2, 8, 9, 10, 11, 17 and 18 at Muirfield demonstrate this, though you may differ!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Deucie Bies

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 01:58:37 PM »
Laurel Valley 9 and 10

Pine Valley 9 and 10

I disagree with Oakmont unless 9 is played as a par 4.

mike_beene

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 11:02:47 PM »
Chris,I must have been tired last night.My thought is that they are rarly stars but seem to get you back up a hill to start again.You usually only remeber them when they screw up.Even if they are good you forget them because you have scores to add,drinks to get and a new nine to make up for what you screwed up.Maybe somewhere in there is something that seems like an offensive lineman.Or maybe not.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 06:58:54 AM »
My preference is for the 1st and 10th be about equal in difficulty, for "fairness" in cases of two tee starts.  not that golf should be fair...
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back