News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

North Berwick G C & Old Tom Morris
« on: December 10, 2008, 01:18:27 PM »

These last few weeks I have been busy - not avoiding posting but actually very busy undertaking my continued research on courses connected with Old Tom.

I am please to formally announce that Old Tom WAS involved in the Western extension of the existing links at North Berwick in 1876/7.

Before progressing and presenting some of my finds I would like to thank Rich Goodale for his help, support and for keeping the information close to his chest while I advised the club.

Initially Old Tom & David Strath had been commissioned to undertake the full works incorporating the existing 9 and to add an addition 10 to make a course with a total of 19 hole. This information was published in an article on the 19th December 1876. (see attached copy)

The current records show that Provost Brodie & Whitecross to be actually responsible, well more Whitecross, but in looking into the details I believe that they were responsible for the management operation of the project only. An article published on the 2nd of February 1877makes the following statement “In the preparation of the new links for play a good deal of work required to be done in the way of levelling, cutting, turfing; but the operations in all their details have been directed by Messrs Brodie and Whitecross with a care and judgement which will be recognised by all who visit the ground”. 

The design and routing of the course having already been undertaken by Strath & Morris. This is confirmed by the next statement which reads as follows “In placing the holes these Gentlemen have had the assistance of David Strath, who is the keeper of the North Berwick green; and through his advise, as well as some hints given by Tom Morris on a recent visit.”

The course was not to be 19 holes as originally agreed but 18 in total, to mirror TOC of St Andrews.  I am in agreement with Rich when we look at yet again the engineers being credited in public for the apparent ‘laying out’ of the course, rather than Starth and Morris. Their positions, in particular Old Tom because Strath died within a year or two time of the re-opening of the 18 hole course, had not yet ascended to being considered near equal. This attitude was to be encountered by Old Tom well into the 1890’s with his involvement at Muirfield (1891) and the New Course (1894) both overshadowed by B Hall Blyth. On the subject of the New Course and Old Tom’s design/routing involvement, my research is progressing well and more information is surfacing which I hope to post next year. The Links Trust & R&A do not dispute Old Tom’s involvement, they just do not have much proof either way. So we must look for other sources. Sorry, I digress from North Berwick.

There is one other point worth mentioning and that was Old Tom’s MO, be needed to walk the ground and seek how it could play before jumping in with recommendations. I believe Richard put it well when he said “ Tom was used in this case (and others I have read, e.g. Burntisland) as an itinerant guru, walking the land and passing judgement on the general routing and principles of design, but leaving the detailed design and construction to the locals (Davie Strath and the engineers). 

So the next time you play North Berwick you will are again be walking in the footsteps of Old Tom Morris. All that’s left for me to say is enjoy your game and while you Walk the course perhaps give a thought to what the course may have been like without his input.

Melvyn

Mike_Cirba

Re: North Berwick G C & Old Tom Morris
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 02:00:12 PM »
Very wonderful find, Melvyn and Rihc!

Thanks for sharing the good news!

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 02:25:18 PM »
Great work Melvyn, keep up the finds. Very interesting re Morris/Strath (common professionals) versus Brodie and Whitecross (gentlemen engineers).
All the best of the season to you!
regards
Neil

Andy Hughes

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 02:45:22 PM »
Melvyn, interesting finds--good stuff. Strange to me that Old Tom would be shunted aside a bit because of his 'place', when it had always been my understanding that even then he was considered a giant.

One lesson I learned from the Merions threads--be somewhat careful of individual newspaper articles.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 02:50:29 PM »
Fantastic find and a complete surprise considering how much interest there is in the course and clubs. What else remains to be found?

Melvyn I’m sure you informed all 4 Clubs that play there!
From the Tantallon Club History.  Entitled a view before 1880.

The clubs became solvent around then and the dates in the histories, I have, don’t make it clear whether that was the new course attracting members or the new members demanding 18 holes.

Tom Morris, Old and Jnr. played a number of matches over the shorter course and Interestingly Strath was appointed before the changes.

The following is from the Bass Rock History and finishes with a description of the new course. (Ignore first paragraph.)

Let's make GCA grate again!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 06:12:07 PM »
Andy

The year was late 1876, as Richard mentioned to me that would have been about a year since he & Young Tom had been playing at North Berwick when that fateful telegram arrived advising of the serious condition of Young Tom’s wife. She died before he returned to St Andrews with her unborn child and Young Tommy would also be dead be a few months late on Christmas Day. So Old Tom returning to North Berwick would have certainly brought back memories.

As for his standing, let’s not forget that he was still building his reputation in
an age when Class and position was still very important – not just First but Second and Third Class facilities. Our Clubs for the most part had the full range of landed gentry, one just needs to look at the records and newspaper articles of the day.

I believe that Old Tom development really came into its own after the death of Young Tommy. Yet there is a point in the 1890 around the opening of the New Course that the R&A Green Committee and Old Tom had a small power struggle. Old Tom agreed to their suggestions but for the most part continued as he had for the last 30 years and ignored them. It was through this mini power struggle that he was in part side lined and Hall Blyth (as with Brodie & Whitecross at in North Berwick) was given the Operational control, but not before Old Tom had routed the New Course and was to also supervise the laying out of the course. The same applies but to a less degree with the Jubilee Course, again Old Tom stepped in 1903 to extend the course being able to incorporate the rifle butts within the scheme which was approved by the Town Council.

When we deal with history its not all about reading records, we must understand how life was lived in those days. Through understanding human imperfections we get a clearer chance to see most of the real picture.  Old Tom for all his victories was not considered a Gentleman and therefore was expected to know his place. His manor, experience and achievements made him what we today call a celebrity which broke down the class barriers.  I believe that Kevin Cook in Tommy’s Honour captured the rebel in Young Tom which was not within his father, perhaps Old Tom was just that bit wiser.

I believe there is still more to find. There must be because another thing I have uncovered is that certain clubs are actually older that they state on their history, some by as much as 8-10 years. I expect that’s due to their own missing records, but copies are available if one is willing to looks, but that takes time and sometimes money. 

I have never forgotten Paul Daley comment in his Feature Interview on GCA.com when he claimed that others had accepted the honour for work undertaken by Old Tom. My findings are starting to confirm his findings.

Tony, Neil, Mike thanks for your comments and Tony interesting histories 

Melvyn

Andy Hughes

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 02:57:58 PM »
When we deal with history its not all about reading records, we must understand how life was lived in those days. Through understanding human imperfections we get a clearer chance to see most of the real picture.  Old Tom for all his victories was not considered a Gentleman and therefore was expected to know his place. His manor, experience and achievements made him what we today call a celebrity which broke down the class barriers.  I believe that Kevin Cook in Tommy’s Honour captured the rebel in Young Tom which was not within his father, perhaps Old Tom was just that bit wiser.

Melvyn, thanks for the explanation. I have always had this image of OTM as the Great Sage, as one held above all others even as he lived. That seems not necessarily to have been the case.  Others, such as McDonald and MacKenzie certainly seemed to hold him in such high regard.

The design and routing of the course having already been undertaken by Strath & Morris. This is confirmed by the next statement which reads as follows “In placing the holes these Gentlemen have had the assistance of David Strath, who is the keeper of the North Berwick green; and through his advise, as well as some hints given by Tom Morris on a recent visit.”
Melvyn, other than the line quoted above, do you actually have any documentation that would support the idea that OTM deserves any design credit for North Berwick, or anything that might suggest what his contributions were specifically?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 06:00:32 PM »
Andy

The search on North Berwick continues, however there are three different reports covering some 10 pages on the extension of North Berwick.  Also through Rich he has been advised that a Member of the Club had read reports of Old Tom’s connection.

As for exactly what was done we are still looking.  My understanding is that Brodie was involved in the original decision for ten new holes, being on site, so to speak and if responsible for the design he should have known the area and not made that mistake. Also the article posted states that Old Tom & Strath will design the course. The other articles confirm the engineering skill of Brodie & Whitecross and that Whitecross was supervising the project.

The search goes on but the announcement that Old Tom & Strath will do the design was mid Dec.1876 with the course open in April 1877.  The time frame is about right but of course we need more information, but the report clearly shows a design involvement from Old Tom, let’s hope we can find out some more.

As for Old Tom’s standing, not being considered a gentleman was no hardship. I was just explaining our class system in the Victorian Age, it certainly did not reflect upon his achievements. In fact consider his humble beginnings he not only IMHO but others as well consider him a Colossus and truly deserves to be called the father of our modern game of golf.

The biggest problem with any research is actually understanding what was actually written, just look at GCA.com and the misunderstandings on here because we don’t always fully understand exactly what we are saying to each other. Take the English language of the 19th Century and the way these early designers approached a project, it can be very difficult. So we really need to know how they actually operated - their MO, once we understand that then we are able to start unravelling the history.

As and when I find out more and after it is passed to the club I will happily post it on GCA.com. I always try and have the information checked out either by the R&A, Government Agencies (Uni, Town Hall, etc) or Estate Office. I do not tend to just rely upon a single golfing book or newspaper. Trust that gives you some of the answers to your questions

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back