News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

British Aerial 11
« on: December 09, 2008, 05:17:05 PM »
An ex-European Tour Venue.

mike_beene

Re: British Aerial 11
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 11:55:59 PM »
Is there a practice ground?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 04:35:06 AM »
Some good old fashioned cross-bunkering there... Still don't know the course though... These threads are showing me up big style!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 12:18:39 PM »
There is a practice ground, at the bottom right of the picture alongside the par-5 13th. You have to drive down a little country lane to get to it, or walk rather a long way from the clubhouse. There are some delicious cross-bunkers, although they tend to affect shorter-hitters, such as I am, rather than the long-hitting low-handicapper. You may also notice a double green at the top left of the picture.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 03:38:52 PM »
The club dates from 1889, although it only moved to this location in 1903. It's previous course was gradually taken over by another club, still extant. The present routing, although bearing some similarities to the 1903 course, is the result of many rebuilds at the hands of noted architects (almost as many as Ganton).

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 10:46:40 PM »
Grinning like a cat now that I know what and where it is. Remodeled by Simpson. From their website  "xxxxxxxx has played host to fields of European Tour stars, Open Championship aspirants and amateur golfers of the highest calibre. Nobody has taken the course apart. Yet it is not a daunting prospect for the higher handicap golfer. This is a subtle course which rewards intelligent play.
 A prime example is the 1st hole, a short par 4 which is occasionally driven by the prodigious. The rest of us need to use our brains. Drive too far to the right and a copse lurks; too far to the left and 3-off-the-tee is the likely outcome; too long and the drive runs out of fairway. There is plenty of fairway beckoning, but only a little of it allows an approach shot to be played down the line of the angled green. It is simple, but strategic, and that is the theme on almost every hole.
 One of the toughest drives follows at the 2nd, a sharp left hand dog-leg that tempts the mighty to clear tall trees, flirt with bunkers, or, again, run out of fairway by not thinking clearly. On the 4th, too, the drive is again fundamental, with bunkers to be avoided yet challenged if the best angle into a tricky green is to be found. Both par 5s on the outward nine offer birdie or eagle chances to strong hitters, but they are cleverly bunkered for the high-handicapper. The 8th offers a marvellous opportunity to reward the player able to draw the ball, or brave enough to take on the trees on the direct route, while the diminutive 9th, lying as it does on the far side of a stream, frequently provokes over-clubbing followed by desperate rescue attempts.
 The back nine begins right outside the Professional’s shop, the 10th being yet another hole on which good position off the tee is essential if the green is to be easily accessed. All golfers fancy their chances on the 11th, a short par 4, but its defences are stout. One of the finest driving holes follows, the 12th, beautifully bunkered both off the tee and on the approaches to one of the largest greens on the course. Good driving distance is a considerable advantage on the par-5 13th, a down slope on the far side of a ridge usually adding many precious yards to the drive.
 There is no compromise on the par-3 14th, a compulsory carry over a deep river valley to find an elusive green. Then comes a stern two-shot hole, the 15th, with the best line from the tee difficult to discern and fairway bunkering appropriate to all classes of golfer. Again it is placement of the drive rather than brute strength which unlocks the 16th hole, a dog-leg to the right to a handsomely sited green amid the trees. Another compulsory carry, this time a little shorter, is called for on the pretty par-3 17th. The final hole is a great gambler’s hole, a par 5 that is reachable in two by the strong player, but only if the tee shot is long and straight, finding the perfect spot on the elevated fairway from which a glorious second shot awaits, tumbling downhill to a well-bunkered green nestling between a grassy bank and Mxxxxxxxx Brook, over which the opening drive was made.

James Boon

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 04:39:31 AM »
I think, after quite a few clues, its Wilmslow Golf Club?

I should try and play this course. My dad lived in Wilmslow as a boy, so I suspect my Grandad would have played golf here? An interesting pedigree as well with Braid, Simpson, Thomas and Steel doing there bit.

Cheers

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 05:47:29 AM »
James, or anybody else, be my guest, I'm a member.

Pete, How kind of you to quote me! I wrote that bit of the website - and the hole-by-hole description.

James Boon

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 04:04:57 AM »
Mark,

Thanks for the kind offer. I may well take you up on that once warmer temperatures return  8)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back