News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Re: 2009 Golfing Trips
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 06:26:49 AM »
Andrew,

I'll let you off then!!

Sounds like a great trip, the battlefields are very special, Tyn Cot and the Menin Gate ceremony are not to be missed. I've just finished reading the Harry Patch book, he is the last survivor of the trenches. All those millions of men and only one left who "went over the top".
It's well worth a read.

Mark
Cave Nil Vino

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 06:34:41 AM »
 will look it up

my great grand father is buried there after being killed at fromelles

also entering regional qualifying for the open at alwoodley

Andrew

Rich Goodale

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 07:39:55 AM »
Mark

I have played deal before and just could not squeeze it in this time around.

i am also visiting ww1 battlefields and i only have so much time.

AB

Andrew

If you can see only one WWI battlefield, see Vimy Ridge.

Rich

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 08:02:58 AM »
Jeepers Chappers - you are a go getter.  No wonder crime down in the Smoke is rampant!

I have only one trip definitely planned: a long weekend in June to play Portrush (both courses) and Portstewart.  I hope a few one nighters are in the cards, but one never knows. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Cory Lewis

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 08:42:22 AM »
Being newly single(divorced) in 2009,  I hope to make several small trips and a couple big trips.  I still want to get back to chicago area to play olympia fields, beverly, lost dunes, butler, and milwaukee.  I also hope to make a cape cod trip and play Wannamoissett on the way up and maybe The Country Club in Boston.  I want to do a quick trip up to see Bedford Springs and maybe stay overnight and play sunnehanna and laurel valley or Rolling Rock.  I'm excited about 2009!!
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

PCCraig

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2008, 08:59:15 AM »
There are some big trips coming up for many of you on here...esp. to the Chicago area (feel free to PM me before you come into town!).

As for myself;

May; Kiawah / Charleston (Briars Creek, Kiawah Island Club, maybe TOC).
June; Boston (TCC, TPC-Boston)
Aug; Bachleor Party weekend in Pinehurst (Forest Creek / #2)
Oct; Honeymoon up in Kohler (2 rounds on WS, 1 on the River)

Also planning a quick trip up to WI with a buddy to play Lawsonia and Erin Hills.

H.P.S.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2008, 09:22:33 AM »
Nothing...hoping to start playing again early next year, been a tough year due to back surgery
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2008, 11:42:18 AM »
Good Lord!!! I want. I'm particularly envious of CPC. I live in Northern Cali if you're looking to add a public round to your itinerary. Make sure you post some pictures for us.

March with 1 other as part of a business trip
Scottsdale - whispering rock, Golf Club of Scottsdale
Monterey - CPC, MPCC
Bandon Dunes all 3 courses

July taking a group of 16
Alwoodley
Ganton
Moortown
Morfontaine
Royal Zoute
The above are 3 of us and the rest of the group join us for the following
St Georges Hill
Swinley Forest
Royal St Georges
Sunningdale
The Addington
Walton Heath Old
The Berkshire
Royal LIverpool
Royal Birkdale
Royal Lytham
Western gailes
Prestwick
2 days at the Open between Prestwick and Western Gailes

Clearly i cannot wait
 :)

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Carl Nichols

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2008, 01:07:15 PM »
These are some enviable lists! 

I'll be spending January-July of 2009 (or so) living about 45 minutes southeast of Buenos Aires.  I'm probably going to join one of the local courses, and am planning to play all of the better courses in/around Buenos Aires. 

Am in the middle of some marital negotiations over whether it's appropriate for me to return from Argentina for my annual spring golf trip with 20 high school buddies, which this year is in Hammock Beach -- and which will be taking place about a month after the birth of our third child.  Not an easy sell, yet.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 01:14:49 PM by Carl Nichols »

Jim Tang

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 08:38:12 AM »
2009 will be a banner year for me.  Headed to Ireland in July for the first time.  Will be there 10 days.....

Royal County Down
Royal Portrush
Lahinch
Doonbeg
Ballybunion Old
Waterville
Dooks
Old Head

I get back home to Chicago, spend 3 days resting and then fly out west and get.....

Ballyneal (4 or 5 days)
Sandhills (hopefully)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 03:14:27 PM »
I like the sound of the newest course on this leg.

Weekend on East Coast of Scotland - Carnoustie, The Old Course, Kingsbairns

2009 again looks promising.

Sean has kindly invited me to join his group to Portrush.
The Buda is calling
And today I started to investigate the possibility of giving my wife aChristmas present of a weekend in March at the Kohler Spa, in something called the Old Course Hotel. ;)
This January we outlined two options for our summer holidays.  Ireland or California. Well we chose the former and it turned out to be one of the wettest summers on record.  Next summer we plan to visit California and so I’d place your bets on the weather forecast now.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 03:17:56 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2008, 04:18:18 AM »
As I have a lot of commitments at my home club next year I think 2009 will be quieter from a golf trip point of view.  My main trip will be the Buda in Kent with hopefully a couple of tasters pre the actual event. 

I will hopefully fit in a few one day trips as well.  Mark Pearce & I have a tentative plan to play Goswick, hopefully I'll meet up with Sean at some stage, and there are some others in the pipeline.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2008, 04:37:22 AM »
As I have a lot of commitments at my home club next year I think 2009 will be quieter from a golf trip point of view.  My main trip will be the Buda in Kent with hopefully a couple of tasters pre the actual event. 

I will hopefully fit in a few one day trips as well.  Mark Pearce & I have a tentative plan to play Goswick, hopefully I'll meet up with Sean at some stage, and there are some others in the pipeline.

Andrew

We shall have to get serious this coming year with setting a side a few days to play Notts and a few other courses.  I think Notts runs a good deal through March so I wouldn't mind making a March date. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2008, 05:03:45 AM »
So far.....

Valentine's weekend at the Old Course Hotel (I'll try not to trash the place too much, Tony, before your trip)

Mark Pearce's Northeast England mini-Buda in late June

La Cote d'Azur in July, hoping to investigate the Sayers family connection to Club Golf de Monaco and its relevance to the architectural history of Merion.

First week in August a brief visit to Lincolnshire to revisit/celebrate a 1966  invasion by 80 California university students.  Hope to get a way to play Woodhall Spa and/or Notts.

BUDA VII in September.  Seems to be shaping up very well.  Well done, Mark.

Plus 3-4 visits to Dornoch, as usual--probably mid April (Easter), Late May, 2nd week in August (Carneige Shield), mid-October.  Any GCA.comers planning to be ther eand then, let me know and I'll let you buy me a drink. ;)

More to come, I'm sure, or at least hopeful.

Rich

Andrew Brown

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2008, 05:52:42 AM »
Is this the longest trip yet planned?

My residential Norway...back to my native Australia....to play (just one course)...

Barnbougle Dunes.

It will be in the middle of the Australian winter BTW   ;)

Regards
Andrew

Steve Salmen

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2009, 02:42:24 PM »
This will be the best summer of my life.  I'm spending June, July, August and September in Dornoch.   Look me up for a drink or a round if you're coming.

I look forward to playing more remote courses like Askernish, Durness, and Golspie.  Can't wait to play Castle Stuart.  Will try to  make it to the club championship at Machrihanish but don't know.  Not excited yet about the Castle at St. Andrews but long to return to Gullane.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2009, 02:49:15 PM »
Steve

I did that gig in 1981 (although it was May->August) and it was the defining moment of my life.  Learn and enjoy--in addition to golf there are wine, women, song and all sorts of other pleasures on tap in that part of the world.   And, let us know how to reach you--I'll be up there 3-4 times this year, but the only one which is certain is during the Carnegie Shield.  Should we meet, you can buy me a beer, or vice versa. ;)

Rich

Brent Hutto

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2009, 02:56:32 PM »
I'm driving two hours down I-26 to play the Ocean Course at Kiawah this coming April with Sean. It's no Notts but it'll do.

That's it. Maybe a modestly budgeted long weekend trip some time in the Fall but circumstances in '09 do not make trips across oceans or even continents prudent.

PThomas

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2009, 03:01:47 PM »
top of my list is out east..so many good courses out there i haven't seen yet!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2009, 03:51:15 PM »
Hmmm. I work for a bank and I've gotta foot the bill for my wedding this summer.

Looks like the Memorial Park/BraeBurn loop will be fine for me this year.

Everybody have fun. Those are some sensational rotas, you jerks. ;D
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2009, 03:58:02 PM »
I'm saving my spare changes now in hopes to get out to Chicago for the Reverse Jans Event in December.  ;D

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2009, 06:32:49 PM »
Hmmm. I work for a bank and I've gotta foot the bill for my wedding this summer.

Looks like the Memorial Park/BraeBurn loop will be fine for me this year.

Everybody have fun. Those are some sensational rotas, you jerks. ;D

Jeff...

Add Champions to your loop and I'll tell you stories about the places I hope to play.

Keith Buntrock

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2009, 08:02:25 PM »
I will be going to Arizona for the first time in March with the golf team for 6 days. It will be my first taste of outdoor golf since the first week of November.

Talking Stick courses
Ocotillo Golf Resort
Pavilion Lakes which is right next to Talking Stick

I had absolutely zero say in where we play since I am just a freshman.
Since I haven't played any of these courses, I would love to hear input about them.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2009, 08:09:59 PM »
Is there really any event happening in 2009 that could possibly eclipse the Reverse Jans tournament?   

I don't think so.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2009, 08:23:58 PM »
Since posting on this thread in December, I've been fortunate to plan a trip to Texas. I'm tagging along with the girlfriend on a business trip, five days of golf while she works, tough job but somebody's gotta do it!!!  I've never been to Texas and I'm very excited!!!
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back