News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Jacksonville advice pls
« on: November 27, 2008, 09:18:33 PM »
any suggestions re courses near the Jacksonville airport would be greatly appreciate.....too far away wont work as amount of daylight would be an issue since i would be arriving in the afternoon

thanks!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Andy Troeger

Re: Jacksonville advice pls
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 09:33:06 PM »
I'm no Jacksonville expert, but when I looked at trips last year the courses we considered were all some distance from the airport. We ended up going down to Palm Coast to the Hammock Beach Resort, plus TPC Sawgrass which is still a ways from the airport (30 mins at least).

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 10:59:39 PM »
Tom Paul's favorite course is up that way, north of the airport.  Can't recall the name.

John Kirk

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 11:04:34 PM »
Fernandina Municipal, or something like that?

J_ Crisham

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 11:27:24 PM »
It's actually called Fernandina Beach . It is probably about an hour from the airport. They just completed some reno work 2yrs ago. It is on the North end of Amelia Island. Great muny. Cheap and in reasonably good shape. Some fun holes that wind thru some densely wooded areas. Good choice to play.                       Jack

Dean Stokes

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 11:40:16 PM »
I think you should take a visit to Amelia National. I have heard good things about it.http://www.amelianationalgolf.com/

You could also play North Hampton Golf Club which is a lot of fun. http://www.hamptongolfclubs.com/
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 12:04:42 AM »
Amelia Island Plantation and Sawgrass are my two faves, but as I dated a girl from Fernandina for a while, I got to play there and, yes, it's cool,

Mark Smolens

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 10:07:50 AM »
Have not been to Jax for a long time, but Windsor Parke was a very nice public option, and much, much less expensive than the TPC options.  If you can get on, Sawgrass CC (site of the first TPC events) always seemed to play faster and firmer than the Stadium, and very, very windy -- tho I haven't been back to Sawgrass since the latest renovation work. . .

BCrosby

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 10:45:55 AM »
Maybe the closest course to the airport and maybe the JAX course that is the most interesting historically is Hyde Park. It's just off I-10 west of the city.

It has a somewhat confused design pedigree. I've heard Ross and Thompson, so I'm not sure what was going on there in the 20's and 30's. Its clubhouse is now a spooky, tumbled down place. Which is to say - great atmosphere for a GCA regular. ;)

A hidden jewel imho. More fun I thought than Timiquana (sp?) down the road.

Bob

Matt_Ward

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 01:47:22 PM »
Be curious to know if any person has current info on what is happening with The Ravines in Middleburg. I played there years ago and Doak did comment on the course in CG. I understand that revisions were made and since Paul mentioned about visiting the greater Jacks area I wanted to see what others might be able to add.

Thanks ...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back