News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lloyd_Cole

May I suggest Spell Check?
« on: November 23, 2008, 12:18:57 AM »
Two reasons -

1/ If you consistently misspell we will start to doubt your basic intelligence. If without fail you type 'your' when you mean 'you're' it's negative kudos every time. It adds up.

B/  If you reconsider what you just wrote, you might want to edit more than just the spelling.

If you're really that drunk... failing to recognise your own work might at least alert you to your state. And - Yes, I am a rotten typist and I have posted drunk a few times. But I am trying to do better.

Mike_Cirba

Re: May I suggest Spell Check?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 12:28:31 AM »
Lloyd

There's a third option.

More and more some of us post from the tiny chiclet keys of our Blackberrys, and coupled with the tiny font and screen, I can't tell you the number of times I've about died of embarassment once I saw how things were spelled on the big screen.

Of course, then there,s always the problem of trying to type on the Blackberry drunk...  ;)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 11:33:00 AM by MikeCirba »

Ian_L

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 01:48:36 AM »

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 02:05:22 AM »
a perfectly legitimate spelling for this word in both England and Australia. It's the Americans who want to put "z"s into all sorts of words where "s" will do nicely.

Ian_L

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 02:10:30 AM »
I stand corrected, thank you.

Pat Burke

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 02:10:43 AM »
a perfectly legitimate spelling for this word in both England and Australia. It's the Americans who want to put "z"s into all sorts of words where "s" will do nicely.

You do mean "zed" of course

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 02:11:20 AM »
While I generally agree, I don't mind the occasional posting tyop.........

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 02:21:22 AM »

Some people misspell because  they are trying to get a post in inbetween patients and do not have the time to use spell check, or they could just be from West Virginia.

Anthony

Paul_Turner

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 02:59:11 AM »

Neil

I'm with the yanks for this one.  If it was up to England and Australia, Z might as well not exist!
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 07:07:40 AM »

Neil

I'm with the yanks for this one.  If it was up to England and Australia, Z might as well not exist!

Yeah, and? ;)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 07:16:05 AM »
Lloyd

I think you should send a check to Ran to endow the Lloyd Cole Memorial Spellchecker for this site..  I konw that i'd youse it.....

Rich

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 07:26:27 AM »
I use Firefox as my web browser. I installed a plug-in spell checker for it so that no matter what website or forum I'm on, it does a pretty good job of letting me know when I typed poorly.

Of course it does nothing for sentence structure, appropriate use of punctuation marks, phrasing or clarity. Damn.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

John Moore II

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 02:26:58 PM »
I use Firefox as my web browser. I installed a plug-in spell checker for it so that no matter what website or forum I'm on, it does a pretty good job of letting me know when I typed poorly.

Of course it does nothing for sentence structure, appropriate use of punctuation marks, phrasing or clarity. Damn.

Joe

Actually, the new Firefox has a built-in Spell Check that works on all internet applications. It's a good thing. But I don't always use Firefox, I generally use Internet Explorer.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 02:53:28 PM »
I often mis-spell for phonetic reasons.

Trying to spell properly, specifically in this forum, has made me a zappy ... zazzy... zingaro.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 02:58:47 PM »
How refreshing to be part of a forum where the occasional reminder for vigilance with spelling isn't promptly seized upon as 'judgmental elitism' by the disciples of inverse snobbery. Bravo, everyone...

Joe Hancock

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 03:13:39 PM »
I often mis-spell for phonetic reasons.

That sounds like the same excuse making as my kids use on me! You're gifted in other areas, Adam, and we love you despite the occasional misspelled or newly made up word.....funetics, indeed!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

George Pazin

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 03:20:51 PM »

Joe

Actually, the new Firefox has a built-in Spell Check that works on all internet applications. It's a good thing. But I don't always use Firefox, I generally use Internet Explorer.

Say it ain't so! JKM, the rebel with a cause, uses IR over Firefox! Please please please just say no!

Actually, I'm a pretty good speller, always have been, but I'm surprised how often Firefox catches me. Sometimes typos, sometimes ignorance.

And tell me British spelling isn't way cooler than ours....
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 03:22:42 PM »
Joe and all....

Chrome rules and spell checks too.

Cheers

.... http://www.google.com/chrome
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 03:26:44 PM »
Say it ain't so! JKM, the rebel with a cause, uses IR over Firefox! Please please please just say no!

Actually, I'm a pretty good speller, always have been, but I'm surprised how often Firefox catches me.

Even Firefox won't help you with "words" it doesn't recognize -- like, say, "IR" and "IE."

(E.O.)

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tom Yost

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 03:29:57 PM »
It's not as bad here as it is on the pr0n forums.

Uh... or so I've been told !    ::)

Joe Hancock

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2008, 04:01:12 PM »
Joe and all....

Chrome rules and spell checks too.

Cheers

.... http://www.google.com/chrome

Considering that I have had a long time, problem free experience with Firefox, what can you tell me about Chrome that would convince me it rules, and hence convince me to download/ use it?

Joe

Dave_Miller

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 04:37:02 PM »
This reminds me of a funny spell-check story:

My Contracts professor from my freshman year of law school, who also taught securities law, asked me in one morning to attend a presentation she was going to make to a full house at the American Bar Association later that afternoon...

She offered me a hand-out of the materials, to get familiar with the topic.

It was about 100 pages and in about 22-point type on the cover, it said:  "Recent Developments in Pubic Disclosure"

I looked at the cover with surprise.....and then asked her:

"Professor, this sounds like a really, really interesting and stimulating topic, but I just want to confirm that THIS is the topic you want to discuss in front of the ABA.

She looked at it.

She wasn't seeing it.

Then, all of a sudden, she got it...

Her face turned redder than red.  She actually started to hyperventilate...

She'd had 500 copies or so that she'd already made up - that were literally an hour or two from being handed out.

Her secretary swapped out cover pages immediately.

She loved me after that.

Shivas:
Spell check by sight!  Outstanding ;)
Best
Dave

Joe Hancock

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2008, 04:46:11 PM »
Recent Developments in Pubic Exposure? Truly a need for spill checking....

This thread is beyond shaving.

While we're on it, though, I'll share this little spelling mishap, administered by our niece who lives with us and is special needs. She wrote a story for school, and it was apparently about a boy named Willy who went on a hike or something. Our niece wrote on the heading of her paper "Little Willys Big Excretion". I can only imagine the fun the special ed teachers have while grading papers......

Joe

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2008, 05:06:07 PM »
Actually, golf course architects and designers of all kinds are famous for "creative spelling." Stories abound within the profession of similarly hilarious spelling errors.

I gathered that the spelling errors made by participants here were merely "sympathy" errors to attract more gcas' to the site.....

Maybe I was wrong.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2008, 07:56:32 PM »
LLoyd,

It is either points 1 & 2 or A & B. It is not 1 & B:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two reasons -

1/ If you consistently misspell we will start to doubt your basic intelligence. If without fail you type 'your' when you mean 'you're' it's negative kudos every time. It adds up.

B/  If you reconsider what you just wrote, you might want to edit more than just the spelling.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back