News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lloyd_Cole

Re: How Cold is Too Cold?
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2008, 10:59:15 AM »
I have a noon match today - as of 10.55 it is 28 F. Pocket warmers in trousers and jacket, skiing underwear and I was thinking of one of those IRA/bank robber ballaclavas.
Cold weather players may appreciate this - Costco sells the pocket warmers in bulk packages - resulting in a saving of over 50% vs retail.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2008, 04:32:48 PM »
Kyle Harris and I are on our way home from Jeffersonville, with a balmy high of 35.

It was very pleasant most of the afternoon.

John Burzynski

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2008, 08:21:36 PM »
Somewhere between 2-3 weeks ago when I played and it was 42, sunny and windy with windchill of 30, and now, when I can't play, because there are 6 inches of snow on the ground.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2008, 08:33:32 PM »
We were fine until the wind picked up, and then the temperature, wind chill adjusted, must have been pretty low. Still, we had fun. Next week I'm taking the schnapps with me.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2008, 08:55:26 PM »
Snow in Fife yesterday ?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2008, 08:59:54 PM »

Brian,

Thanks...... I love the photos,,,,,,, When were they taken? ....Anthony

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2008, 09:16:52 PM »
Anthony
I just stumbled upon them on FlickR this morning , and I am presuming they are from yesterday .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jparakilas/sets/72157609787073377/

Rich or FBD will confirm .

I am posting from a lovely 33 degrees beachside in Hua Hin Thailand  8)

Buck Wolter

« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2008, 10:35:24 PM »
I have to believe that clothing improvements have lowered the bar substantially. I played a couple weeks ago and it didn't break 40 with a pretty good breeze and other than my fingertips I was comfortable and not hindered in my swing at all. Good long underwear and polypro layers had to help.

Added bonuses- first time all year anything in St. Louis has approached F&F, we hardly saw another person and with a sometimes lethargic companion trying to stay warm we walked 18 in 2 1/2 hours. I'll take that over 95 degrees and 75% Humidity anyday.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2008, 10:36:37 PM »
You could also have a look at some daft laddies playing Dornoch in the snaw  ::)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0gwP5fj2OD0

Pat Burke

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2008, 01:10:34 AM »
In my previous career, played in and loved ANY weather.  The worse the better.
Now, if the temperature is lower than my possible score, my fat ass is staying off the course ::)

Sean_A

« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2008, 05:46:52 AM »
I don't mind the cold, its the rain I despise.  In fact, I would take 10 over 30 C any day for game of golf.  I play in the cold here all through the winter, but in truth we don't get much cold weather.  Its the dampness that doesn't leave the bones.  I shiver just thinking of it.  I am used to much colder winters, but dry winters.  Worst weather imaginable, 5 degrees and rain - blaaaach.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Rich Goodale

« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2008, 09:57:57 AM »
You could also have a look at some daft laddies playing Dornoch in the snaw  ::)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0gwP5fj2OD0

Brian!

The is the Youtube link of the year!  And not only because it features two tubes either!

Thakns!

Rich!

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2008, 10:40:54 AM »
Rich
Their worrying at the end had me wondering whether the course was closed or not ?

:)

Matt Waterbury

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2008, 11:32:25 AM »
2 of us squeezed in a quick 9 holes in Boston yesterday in sub-30 temps.  Mild wind and nobody else on the course made it pretty enjoyable.  Once you get moving, it's pretty fun.

We went out as a fiveome at Black Rock yesterday: 29* and pretty windy. A couple of the holes (5, 10, 17) were directly in to the teeth, and almost unplayable. But we had a good game of Wolf.

mjw

hick

« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2008, 02:39:32 PM »
It was about 17 in Newport on saturday morning with the wind chill and too cold for me. 40 is usually the cut off , and the wind is almost always a factor in this part of Rhode Island.

Mike Tanner

« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2008, 05:07:13 PM »
A friend asked me this question at dinner Saturday night. My answer was: It depends. Like some others on this thread, I use a matrix of temperature, wind and precipitation. With fair skies and wind under 20–25 mph, the temps can go down into the 30s and I'll play. Cold rain, sleet or snow and wind? That's a no-go. I'm a walker and self-propulsion, combined with proper layering, helps keep me warm here in southeastern Virginia. 
Mike T.
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2008, 05:36:37 PM »
It really depends on the wind. I have played with snow falling, snow on the ground etc..., but if the wind picks up, not gonna happen.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back