News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Re: Love for the Loveless: The Most Underrated Colt & Co. Course
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 09:39:14 PM »
Old Elm Club north of Chicago.

Most overrated: North Shore, Glenview, IL tied with bob o' link.
H.P.S.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 03:32:58 AM »
A reminder that Colt fans can sample two of his lesser known works buy joining us for the proposed June North East England get-together which takes in Brancepeth and The Northumberland. 

Mark,

What are the details about this trip? I may be interested...

scott
Scott,

See this thread: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=37426.0
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

JMorgan

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 06:17:22 PM »
Moi lorsque j'ai connu Clyde autrefois
C'etait un gars loyal honnete et droit
Il faut croire que c'est la societe
Qui m'a definitivement abime

JMorgan

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 07:45:47 PM »
Sean

Noel and I thought that Southerndown's back 9 is pretty much all Colt, this is just from various reports and stick routings.  Not sure if he did any detail work on the front.

Blackmoor has some super greens.  The only downside  is that it's a bit cramped and the club has chosen to use internal OB down a couple of parallel fairways; not a tactic most of us agree with here on GCA.  The par 3s are all fine if a little similar, the 6th is really built up like the 7th at St Germain with a big false front.  The 18th is a beauty to finish with.   The 5th has a really neat green site.

I like all the choices suggested.  But please forgive me for harping on again:  much of Moor Park's character came from some beautifully sculpted hazards and these have been almost bulldozed into obliteration in recent years.  The West has more character than the High.

I think the very best Colt courses that aren't really well known, or at least didn't used to be until GCA came online:  De Pan, St Germain and Toronto.

Others that get little to no notice and are very good :

Harborne, Canterbury, Camberley, Thorndon Park, Brokenhurst Manor, Meyrick Park, Manchester, Portrush Valley, Belvoir Park, Wentworth East, Whittington Heath and Leckford.

top of the list to see: Old Elm, Prestbury, Brancepeth and Belfast.

Bob

The links trust would have to forgo the driving range.  I wonder if it brings in too much cash?  But did green fee take on the Eden suffer after the redo.  The walk from town is much less convenient and then of course virtually nobody likes the Steel holes.

Paul, where would you rank Moor Park, BEFORE bulldozing, on the Colt list? 

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 08:09:02 PM »
Peebles .

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back