News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Guy Nicholson

Re: Cape Kidnapper frame grabs
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2008, 10:34:01 AM »

Sorry Guy.... I can prove you wrong. I was born in NZ (Wellington) been to Napier many many times (as a child and adult) and now live in Edinburgh and visit St Andrews regularly.

You live in Edinburgh and haven't played at St. Andrews? That *does* take the cake!

John Kirk

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2008, 10:39:04 AM »
The highlights for me were the smiles on the player's faces, and Anthony Kim was beaming after that pitch shot.  He knew how great that was.

By the way, I also enjoyed that Adam Scott airmailed the 14th green into death.  He pulled his drive into poor position, then tried to sky a wedge out of the first cut of rough, looked somewhat hopeful as his ball approached the green, but paid dearly by flying it 5 yards too far.  Double bogey from 65 yards.

Holes 12, 13 and 14 are as good a trio of consecutive holes I've ever seen on television.  Maybe 13-15 at Augusta National, or 7-9 at Pebble Beach surpasses them, but not much else.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2008, 10:49:18 AM »
Funny, Chip... I was asking going to ask the same question of Tom: A VCR?!

Re CK's 14th... it was also cool to watch Snedeker's drive "skirt" the bunker right of the fairway and end up with an excellent angle to the day's hole. I wonder if he played his drive like that purposely? The others just seemed to bash it without care.

I was going to volunteer to make a DVD for TomD, but then I took a peek at my schedule this weekend and it looks like I'll be repairing a 8-track tape player from some guy in back in Illinois that is renovating his AMC Gremlin.    ;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2008, 10:52:59 AM »
Funny, Chip... I was asking going to ask the same question of Tom: A VCR?!

I was going to volunteer to make a DVD for TomD, but then I took a peek at my schedule this weekend and it looks like I'll be repairing a 8-track tape player from some guy in back in Illinois that is renovating his AMC Gremlin.    ;D

You guys just don't appreciate Tom's devotion to all things "Classic" as well as his stubborn insistence on upholding time-tested traditions.      ;)

Jed Peters

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2008, 10:54:57 AM »
My wife went out and bought a new VCR to record the event while I was traveling, so I'll watch today. 

Tom-  A VCR, really?
\.

Ahahaha.

I thought the same thing. But then again, Tom still has an AOL account! Haha!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2008, 12:20:35 PM »
You are forgetting he lives in Traverse City, MI.  They are probably going to get a goverment extention on broadcasting in analog until 2020.  ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ian_L

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2008, 08:33:32 PM »
Was a professional tournament considered and taken into account in the design and construction of the course?

George Freeman

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2008, 08:46:48 PM »
You are forgetting he lives in Traverse City, MI.  They are probably going to get a goverment extention on broadcasting in analog until 2020.  ::) ;D

You better watch it RJ, I was born and raised in Traverse City! 

Tom D.,

Congrats to you and your team for what you accomplished at Cape Kidnappers!  The course looked fantastic and seemed to have played fantastic.  It was obvious the players had to use their heads quite a bit more at CK than at Kauri Cliffs.  Great stuff.

- George
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

George Pazin

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2008, 11:19:36 AM »
Helluva job, Joe, thanks for sharing.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom_Doak

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2008, 11:31:16 AM »
Ian:

Mr. Robertson did tell us, once we had started building the course, that he would like to have a professional event there at some point and that we should build some tees in anticipation of such an event.

In most circumstances I do not take those comments too seriously, because most clients don't understand the financial, logistical and political realities of which courses are chosen to host a professional event.  But, Mr. Robertson clearly understood them, so I had to take him seriously.  We started immediately looking for a few tees I couldn't play from, and we kept at it until Michael Campbell came out to hit some balls in the dirt and told us we had done enough!

(Incidentally, the tee on #16 was one of those new tees ... it was originally to have been the back tee on a long par-4, but we changed the hole to a par-5 when Josie Robertson suggested that everyone should get to stand on that spot.)

What we didn't do was narrow up the course.  The pros played it at the full width, and they seemed to enjoy smashing their drivers around it, even though two of the four did not break par.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2008, 12:15:20 PM »
We wanted to hear about the VCR though :(

Will MacEwen

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2008, 03:33:50 PM »
My wife went out and bought a new VCR to record the event while I was traveling, so I'll watch today. 

Tom-  A VCR, really?

VHS or Beta? 

John Nixon

« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2008, 09:36:33 AM »

Tom-  A VCR, really?

VHS or Beta? 

Don't let the bastards get to you, Tom.    ;)

I finally found time last night to watch the first hour of the CK segment last night in all its magnetically taped VHS glory.

#14 looks like one heck of a fun hole to play.

JLahrman

« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2008, 10:06:23 AM »
Apart from Tom's VCR tape, is this available for viewing anywhere?  I wasn't able to watch it or VCR/DVD/DVR it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back