News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Rigg

Okay - So who should build the 5th and final course at Bandon?
« on: November 16, 2008, 03:14:09 PM »
If there was going to be one more course built at Bandon to make it 5 in total, and you were Mike Keiser's right hand man, who would you recommend to be the GCA?

- One of the teams that has worked at Bandon already?
- A big name who has not had a chance to build there yet?
- A relative unknown with a great deal of potential?
- An architect with a different style that might complement the others?

I have my opinions, and although I know you are all so excited to hear them  ;D I will hold off for now.  ::)

Andy Troeger

Re: Okay - So who should build the 5th and final course at Bandon?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 03:20:54 PM »
Mike DeVries--would seem to fit the style of golf and is deserving of more opportunities.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 03:21:14 PM »
Lester George

WW

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 03:25:15 PM »
whoever does it...I hope we can finally get some water fountains, containment mounding, and flat greens on the next course.  ;D

P.S.  And don't forget some aeomba looking bunkers too.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 03:29:08 PM by Kalen Braley »

George Freeman

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 03:32:34 PM »
Mike DeVries--would seem to fit the style of golf and is deserving of more opportunities.

Great call Andy.  Gil Hanse would be another good option IMO.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 03:39:37 PM »
If we're naming names of new guys to take a crack at it.

I would think Mike Nuzzo should get his name tossed in the hat as well, especially after seeing (in pics only) how good Wolf Point has seemingly turned out.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 03:49:54 PM »
This kind of discussion was rampant before the 3rd course was built..........and before the 4th course too.

If the 5th course is indeed the Sheep Ranch, I personally would find it sacrilege if Doak et al did not get it, since they built what is there in the first place.

However, that would make 3 of 5 on the resort by Doak.

I'm inclined to think there is no reason to believe the Sheep Ranch is going to be finished for a good long time...and I've not heard that anything regarding ownership of the Sheep Ranch has changed.  Currently, it's not owned by Bandon Dunes Resort, folks :-\ and that's about all the land they've got. 

(although I recently heard a rumor regarding another par 3 course out there)
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 03:56:13 PM »
What about a course based on how Augusta National originally was like in MacKenzies days?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 04:27:19 PM »
Matthew:

To create a course in Bandon that would play like Augusta National, you will first have to invent the world's biggest windscreen ... and hopefully you can harness all that power for public use.

The only ground left for a fifth course would be The Sheep Ranch, which is still in limbo and likely to stay there for a while.  My sense is that like the last two courses, Mr. Keiser already has an idea who he'll hire for that one, and all of the speculation will just be a waste of effort.

It would probably be more fruitful to speculate on who will build the next place of comparable quality to Bandon Dunes and where it might be.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 05:27:43 PM »
Who would somebody hire to "channel" Mackenzie? Would that be Mr. Doak again?

Chris Kane

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 05:39:24 PM »
The fifth course should be called "Old Doak", with a committee of five trying to figure out what Tom would do if he were there.  I will chair the committee, who else is interested?

Michael Blake

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 06:39:33 PM »
I vote for some new hungry talented blood.

I second Nuzzo.  Not solely for Bandon, but for any new project.

After seeing in person what he did on a flat piece of property (Wolf Point Club), I can only imagine what he'd do on a great piece of land.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 06:44:04 PM »
It should be built by a woman as lead architect with a team of female assistants. it should be designed first and foremost with the women's game in mind and then have tees added for the men who will play.

In doing so it will be a unique desisgn done exactly opposite of how every course is designed today, which is with the man's game in mind first and foremost.

In addition, Mike should also institute his own annual invitational tournament whose purpose will be to celebrate and define the finest women's player in the world and to celebrate women's golf...

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 06:48:11 PM »

Us. The GCA discussion members. But remember a horse designed by commitee is a mule.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 07:20:24 PM »
Kelly Blake Moran. I'd love to see him work with a wonderful property that wasn't hemmed in by housing!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

mitch jean

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 07:47:08 PM »
In July on the Beach Trail not far from the first tee at Bandon Trails there were a number of stakes marking some tees and maybe some greens (I don't remember for sure) for what I understand is a proposed par three course.

archie_struthers

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 07:56:25 PM »
 8) ;) ???

somebody fresh and new ...time for some change  in the continuum

Rick Sides

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 08:04:59 PM »
Sounds nuts, but what about a contest for an amatuer to build the course, then hire a builder to construct it? Or, have 18 holes each designed by a different amatuer. Who knows, maybe one of us could design one :D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 08:18:42 PM »
Sounds nuts, but what about a contest for an amatuer to build the course, then hire a builder to construct it? Or, have 18 holes each designed by a different amatuer. Who knows, maybe one of us could design one :D

I like it.

Anthony

Matt Varney

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 08:42:48 PM »
4 names to be considered -

Pete Dye

Gil Hanse

Kyle Phillips

Lester George

Most importantly have a great team (superintendent and shapers) on the ground for construction and grassing that can create almost anything with good land and the right equipment.  The best architects in the world need really good people behind them to realize the full potential of any course project.

TX Golf

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 08:43:45 PM »
I'll second Kyle Phillips

Paul Jones

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 09:14:08 PM »
Bill Love
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Ryan Chin

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 09:28:02 PM »
Tom Fazio. That way the ocean can be properly framed between mounding.

David Stamm

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 09:29:01 PM »
Gil Hanse.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Brad Klein

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 09:48:23 PM »
Every time a new course has been built at Bandon to meet excessive demand on the previous supply of courses, folks just stay a day longer to play everything 1x or 2X, and so they build another one to meet demand, in which case folks stay an additional night, etc. So demand doesn't abate

Given the economy, it will be interesting to see if folks think enough of Old Macdonald and of the resort to stay yet another night. Until that happens, I can't imagine Mike Keiser seriously planning a fifth course. In other words, it won't happen fast.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:55:58 PM by Brad Klein »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back