News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Golf Trip Suggestions
« on: November 16, 2008, 09:43:17 AM »
So I need some help putting together a summer trip that is a golf trip but also a trip my fiance would like.  Last year we did Arizona.  She likes restaurants, shopping, horseback riding.  Any ideas for a place I can take her that I can sneak 3 rounds in and also make her happy?

PThomas

Re: Golf Trip Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 09:55:28 AM »
Pinehurst area Rick...a great spa at Pinehrust, charming little downtown, think horsebacking riding is available, etc............

and that is the offseason so things will be cheaper too

its my wife's favorite place..
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 10:21:32 AM »
So I need some help putting together a summer trip that is a golf trip but also a trip my fiance would like.  Last year we did Arizona.  She likes restaurants, shopping, horseback riding.  Any ideas for a place I can take her that I can sneak 3 rounds in and also make her happy?

Aspen Colorado has all 3, great shopping and restaurants, horsebackriding, river rafting, hang gliding, hiking, music concerts at nite.

You can play Lakota Canyon, Redslands Mesa on a day trip and Snowmass Club.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 11:41:21 AM »
I'm going to Kohler, WI with my fiance next fall for a golf/outdoors trip.

You can stay in the carrige house (above the spa), play WS and Blackwolf, and canoe/horseback ride at their wildlife preserve. And it won't be super hot in the summer like it would be anywhere south of KY.
H.P.S.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 12:03:03 PM »
Banff and Jasper...Alberta Canada...wonderful summertime trip.

Great golf, great hotels, great food, great hiking, great golf, great horseback riding, great spa, great golf....

here is a golf photo;

and a hiking photo:

Good luck,

Bart

Greg Clark

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 12:57:20 PM »
My wife (non golfer) and I went to The Homestead in W. Virginia a few years ago.  We both were very happy.  Probably not the best value as a destination, but the Cascades course is wonderful, and there are plenty of activities for both of you.  Beautiful setting as well.  I imagine The Greenbrier offers a similar experience.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 02:15:32 PM by Greg_Clark »

Sandy Smith

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 01:10:51 PM »
 Granted the courses mentioned before me are better , but if you want a great summer trip you can't beat Whistler . You can also spend a day or two in Vancouver ..... you will get huge points for this !
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 02:28:08 PM »
The Homestead and Greenbrier both offer fantastic food and riding options and the golf is second to none.  Shopping is limited in both places, but spa services might keep her happy.

WW

Andy Troeger

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 03:02:56 PM »
Rick,
What's the budget for this trip? Most of the places mentioned are fantastic, but none of them are particularly cheap.

New Mexico has quite a bit in terms of options along with some good golf and would be cheapter than most of the others. Base in Santa Fe for more artsy/shopping experiences. There's plenty to do in Albuquerque as well, we supposedly have more restaurants per capita than anyplace in the country. Not sure if I believe that, but we do have a lot of restaurants.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 03:35:47 PM »
Rick:

I'll second what Andy said about Santa Fe -- fantastic place for shopping, touring and all the historical asides to boot. You also have great spas and places where a gal can get lost for hours so that your golf time is not held in check w Black Mesa leading the way.

I'd also recommend the Bend, OR area -- first rate summer weather -- temps hit low 80's during the day to a max in the low 90's in July. Cool temps at night do not require AC. You also have great outdoor options beyond the golf which is quite plentiful and good in spots.

If you are looking for eastern alternatives -- try the Williamsburg / Virginia Beach area. The golf is also good and there's plenty for wives to do or for things to do as a couple.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 04:58:34 PM »
Ireland if the budget stretchs?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 05:03:25 PM »
Bend does sound good.  Maybe there's a dude ranch you can stay at so she can ride!
Bend can be really hot in midsummer but it's nice and dry and about a mile high.

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 05:39:38 PM »
I would vote for Kingsley -  Traverse City, Harbor Springs, Petoskey and Charlevoix are all VERY close to Kingsley, and each has its own draw for couples together, and wives alone.  There is great food and shopping, and the lakes are gorgeous and quite a lot of fun. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 07:22:07 PM »

Rick,

If Pebble Beach is an option for you than it is your first choice. For you it is great golf. For your wife there is the spa, shoping and great food in the area. Ashville NC has the Grove Park Inn which has a spa that is secound to none great food and a Donald Ross course that is short and very playable. The spa at Pinehurst is extremely disapionting. Bandon is a little boreing for a nongolfing wife.

Anthony

J_ Crisham

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 08:58:12 PM »
Kiawah Island is a nice choice with great restaurants in Charleston or Amelia Island is nice as well. Both places have horse back riding offered. The golf is quite nice as well in addition to high quality beaches.  Have fun!  Jack

David Stamm

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 09:31:03 PM »
Monterey Peninsula, Rick. If the two of you haven't been there together, I'd strongly recommend it.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jason Topp

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 11:19:13 AM »
Rick:

I have tried a few strategies on the spouse/golf trip.

1.  Early morning sprint around the course.  At Rio Rico in Arizona - I played every day in a cart before the first tee time.  I played in under two hours and had the rest of the day to do whatever the family wanted to do.

2.  Spend the week practicing and play one memorable course.   I've done that at Hilton Head, Fort Myers Fl, and at Poipu resort in Kauai.  Your spouse hardly knows you are gone if you practice for an hour or two a day and, if I have not played much, I enjoy it about as much as playing.

3.  Sprinkle golf in with a bigger trip.  I did this in Australia.  It worked pretty well but left some lingering issues when my wife found out we were not going to the barrier reef and instead were going to Tasmania.  I also did this in Las Vegas on a four couple trip. 

4.  I have also accompanied my wife on trips she has taken for work and played all day and had dinner at night.

But the best strategy of all ---  THE MAKE UP TRIP

This is my go to strategy.

Schedule a separate pure golf trip with golf partners shortly before the family/spouse trip.  On the golf trip, have a great time and play as much as possible.  On the spouse/family trip - make it one you are excited about and do not mention golf. 

The result - your spouse is happy because any lingering distaste about you golf trip is replaced with anticipation of and memories of your great second trip. 

The best part of the plan - you are a double winner.  You have gotten to take two great trips.

Some combos that have been brilliant for me:

Scotland/Telluride Film Festival
Scotland/Europe
Pheonix/Sundance Film Festival
New Mexico/Manhatten
Ireland/Switzerland
Las Vegas/Nassau
Fort Myers/The Big Island
Tucson/Guatemala

No need to go on such big ticket trips to make the strategy work.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 12:22:04 PM »
Kiawah Island is a nice choice with great restaurants in Charleston or Amelia Island is nice as well. Both places have horse back riding offered. The golf is quite nice as well in addition to high quality beaches.  Have fun!  Jack

The readers of the prestigious Conde Nast Traveler just named Kiawah Island the No. 2 island in North America, Charleston as the No. 2 tourist destination in the U.S. (behind San Francisco and ahead of NYC) and The Sanctuary at the No. 3 "resort" in the U.S.  Not that I'm bias but that's tough to beat!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 01:14:17 PM »

The readers of the prestigious Conde Nast Traveler just named Kiawah Island the No. 2 island in North America, Charleston as the No. 2 tourist destination in the U.S. (behind San Francisco and ahead of NYC) and The Sanctuary at the No. 3 "resort" in the U.S.  Not that I'm bias but that's tough to beat!

Mike,

I planned to  play the Ocean Course on consecutive days. The day I got there I wanted to go to the clubhouse to buy some things and have lunch but I was rudely told at the gate no way. The next day they would not allow my wife in to pick me up until  I contacted the pro shop from the course. This is not a good place to go with a spouse. I cancelled my round for the next day.

Anthony

Jim Tang

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 02:20:12 PM »
Rick, you might consider Northern Michigan.  There are many B & B's that dot the lake shore and you would have plenty of great golf to select from.  Plus, the area is fairly inexpensive, relative to some of the great destinations already suggested such as Banff or Pebble Beach.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 05:08:45 PM »

Mike,

I planned to  play the Ocean Course on consecutive days. The day I got there I wanted to go to the clubhouse to buy some things and have lunch but I was rudely told at the gate no way. The next day they would not allow my wife in to pick me up until  I contacted the pro shop from the course. This is not a good place to go with a spouse. I cancelled my round for the next day.

Anthony

The Ocean Course (and Osprey Point) are on the private gated half of the island.  Unless you have a tee time that day, guests have to either call the pro shop, have any of the other pro shops call or get a pass from either villa or the Sanctuary front desks/Concierge to get out to The Ocean Course to shop or have lunch.  Did you stay at the Sanctuary or one of the resort-managed villas?  If you did, they should have told you.  If you stayed in a villa managed by another company, they probably wouldn't know...

Tim Leahy

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 05:12:28 PM »
Monterey Peninsula, Rick. If the two of you haven't been there together, I'd strongly recommend it.

Another vote for Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, and Pacific Grove. Not a more romantic spot I can think of. Golf, shopping and food aint bad either.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mike Tanner

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 05:21:34 PM »
I second the Kiawah recommendation. The variety and quality of the courses is worth it alone. But for your spouse, the beach and Lowcountry scenery are spectacular. If you really want to wow her, spend  a couple of nights in Charleston too. It's a great town and country combo.
Mike   
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 05:26:27 PM »

Mike,

Anthony

The Ocean Course (and Osprey Point) are on the private gated half of the island.  Unless you have a tee time that day, guests have to either call the pro shop, have any of the other pro shops call or get a pass from either villa or the Sanctuary front desks/Concierge to get out to The Ocean Course to shop or have lunch.  Did you stay at the Sanctuary or one of the resort-managed villas?  If you did, they should have told you.  If you stayed in a villa managed by another company, they probably wouldn't know...

Mike,

I just called and said I wanted to play the Ocean Course and needed a place to stay. It was a different experience than my other golfing travels. I was disapionted with the resort. My caddie played basketball at WVU. I wonder if he is still there.

Anthony

J_ Crisham

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 06:14:33 PM »
Rick,  Should you chose the Carmel area the drive down to Big Sur is as good as it gets. My wife and I celebrated our 1oth anniversary there last May. The Ventana Inn is a great spot to eat lunch-incredible vistas,great food. We ate there on the recommendation of Bob Huntley and were very impressed. I'm sure if you IM him he could provide other restaurant/side trip suggestions. A very special place! Best wishes,    Jack

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back