News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

W.H. Cosgrove

Re: GOLF TAX !!
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 09:57:36 AM »
I now have a line item on my monthly bill from our club that sends $13.10 to the State of Washington.  This represents the monthly tax on the imputed value of the rounds I enjoy at my private club.  If I play a lot its a 'good' deal, if I don't its very expensive. 

The very definition of reggressive.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 11:11:57 AM »
Move to a no sales tax state is the answer. At least in PA, the is no sales tax yet on club membership fees and dues;otherwise, sales tax is charged on public golf green fees. Since PA does not charge sales tax on clothing(or dry cleaning for that matter) golf clothing is tax exempt except for golf spiked shoes.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 03:39:07 PM »
Shivas,

Joe Biden's home state of Delaware is famous for it's non existant sales tax and Chancery Court. The state income tax is manageable.Make a move from the high tax state of IL.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Lou_Duran

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2008, 03:41:43 PM »
Steve,

Without intending to take this in a political direction, what you suggest is what has been happening in CA for many years now.  Businesses and people have been moving out in droves and primarily international immigration has kept the population growing.  Along with the progressivity of the tax structure, this is resulting in a budget which depends on fewer people for its revenues to support more costly programs that a growing segment of the population demands.  This system fails to generate sufficient revenues in good economic times and is catastrophic when things aren't going well such as now.

Unfortunately for the Gov., he can't impose trade restrictions or otherwise seek to impede the flow of capital, human or financial, across state boundaries.  So the best he can do is to favor some taxpayers while punishing others.  And why do we need lobbyists?  Who likes to have their ox gored?

On the cost side, history has shown that the Gov. can't reduce the size of the public sector.  What is the man to do?  He is blessed to have a most interesting, demanding job with no financial dependence on how well he does it.  Or perhaps it is a curse.

Shivas,

I think the proposed increase to 9.25% is just the state portion.  Other local governments can tap on top of that, so perhaps your impressive 10.25% rate is not all that manly afterall.  Hopefully our good CA state representatives are not tuned to gca.com for ideas on governance.    

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2008, 03:52:56 PM »
Lou,

I'm familiar with the outward migration of businesses and people from CA, mainly to AZ and NV. I have a cousin who left CA to go to Seattle a few years ago and he was able able to sell his house before the market went south and buy for much less in Seattle. I didn't mean make this a political situation but around here, DE is known for it's "TAX FREE SHOPPING." There are billboards all over the place in southeastern PA and our state sales tax is only 6%...for now.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2008, 04:07:16 PM »
yet another political thread, oh boy ::)

or is it?

Chip -
This forum has enough tedious political threads without your "help."  Please consider removing the gratuitous comment.

Jason-
Sorry for the gratuitous comment.  I will try to stick to on topic golf course architecture like everyone else does.
Chip
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 04:09:05 PM by Chip Gaskins »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2008, 04:39:29 PM »
Steve,

I also understand that DE is becoming the venue of choice by trial lawyers seeking to strike the motherlode.  I've seen the state bar make the argument that this is not because the riches there are much easier to mine, but because the court system is so efficient in the way it disposes the cases.  Yep.  Maybe something to do with butter and bread?

By the way, CA has a way to overcome the problem of people driving across state borders to deprive CA of tax revenues.  It has a use tax so that if I went to DE and bought a set of golf clubs for $1,000 and paid $60 in DE sales tax, when I returned to CA, by law I am required to send the state (CA) $17.75 ( (7.75%-6%)*$1000, assuming I lived in a CA area which levied no additional sales tax).  That few people pay it except for major purchases such as cars, boats, and other items which require registration, the law makes relatively honest folks into tax cheats.  Not me, of course, as I have an inordinate fear of the tax authorities and do exactly as I am told.   

Doug Wright

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 06:45:48 PM »
Destruction leads to a very rough road
But it also breeds creation
And earthquakes are to a girl's guitar
They're just another good vibration
And tidal waves couldn't save the world
From Californication
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back