News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

C. Squier

1.  The Asian Tour doesn't have the amount of vans that the PGA Tour has.  If they didn't have his sponsor, nobody on Tour would risk a sponsorship by playing someone else's driver.  He gets paid to play Cobra, a Taylor Made from the pro shop isn't an option.

2.  A driver off the rack's shaft isn't close to what the pros hit.  They're weak to flex because us our amateur egos get in the way.  A pro with a real 120 mph swing speed would make an off the rack "S" flex driver a complete waste of time. 

3.  As others have said, he could've gotten a driver shipped to him w/ in 24 hours and that he could've hit a 3 wood without much penalty for just one round. 

4.  No backup driver?  What pro travels to a tournament out of the country without a backup driver?  Unprecedented. 

Which leads me to the conclusion that something's up.  We're missing part of the story.  Ian dresses like a cupcake, but I've never seen him do anything to show that he's afraid of a challenge.  He was wicked good in the British and the Ryder Cup.....pressure doesn't seem like a problem. 

For a full year (2006) Phil Mickelson made lame excuses up, while the media blasted him.  All the while only he knew that he almost lost a wife and a child.  I'm not saying that Ian has a situation like that, but the story doesn't add up at all.....

Ulrich Mayring

There is an issue with the World Ranking Points system though. Martin Kaymer, who is #27 (Poulter #25), recently teed it up at a regular European Tour event. It was one of the lesser events, but nevertheless a full Tour stop. At that tournament he actually needed a top ten placement in order not to lose any ground. He played fairly well and came in #13 or #14 and lost a couple of points, which equated to three spots in the rankings.

Now, I'm not saying the rankings system should bother Poulter and it certainly didn't bother Kaymer. But a successful Tour player, who isn't worried about retaining his card, might be better off to get in a good week of practice if the pickings are so slim.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Matt_Cohn

My quick math suggests that this is BS.

Poulter has played in 54 events in the last 2 years, for a total of about 183 points and an OWGR average of 3.39, good for 25th place.

If he played this week and earned 0 points for missing the cut, then he would have the same 183 points for 55 tournaments.

The result would be an OWGR average of 3.33, good for....get this...25th place.

I realize the math might change in the future, or I might have calculated incorrectly, but I don't think that a potential impact of up to 0.06 on your OWGR justifies Poulter's decision.

BTW, it looks like he would have to finish about 15th to maintain his 3.39 average.

Matt OBrien

1.  The Asian Tour doesn't have the amount of vans that the PGA Tour has.  If they didn't have his sponsor, nobody on Tour would risk a sponsorship by playing someone else's driver.  He gets paid to play Cobra, a Taylor Made from the pro shop isn't an option.

I do think that DHL and UPS ship to Asia. If I was poulter I would play any club I can get my hands on regardless of the mfgr. It;s not his fault they cant get him a club overnight.

Stop making excuses for him its all BS

Kalen Braley

Matt,

I agree.  No reason, as has been stated, he couldn't play round one with 3 wood and get club for last 3 rounds..total BS!! So he's hitting 7 iron instead of 9 iron for approaches on a few holes..big D.

Matt OBrien

I really wish ESPN would run something like this to show how big of babies some of these guys are. I dont know why this pisses me off so bad but theres millions of people out there that would die to be in his place and hes going to sit out becasue "my driver was stolen and i dont like anything else" and ruin it for someone else.

>:(       >:(          >:(           >:(          >:(

Chip Gaskins

$5 million, the richest national open on the Asian Tour.

Warm weather, more than likely appearance fee, 8000 miles from the UK, Ritz Carlton for a week,......WTF.....play on

C. Squier

"my driver was stolen and i dont like anything else" and ruin it for someone else.

>:(       >:(          >:(           >:(          >:(

Oh give me a break.  His contract is worth hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars.  Think a company wouldn't hesitate dropping a player for breaking terms in this economy?  Argue that he should hit a 3 wood, but risking a huge contract is just pure idiocy.  As for ruining it for someone else, Anirban Lahiri is thrilled to pieces that Poulter pulled out.  Hope he cashes a big check with his new found opportunity.

I still say we're missing part of the story.  Too weird of a move from a guy who's never shown behavior like this.  Something's up.  And for the record, I'm not a Poulter fan.....but this is just strange.

Brian_Ewen

If a player of that caliber withdraws because of that then I have no respect for him. Thats embarrassing not only for him but for Mizuno. 

Whats Mizuno done wrong ?

B. Mogg

Tokyo to Singapore is 8 hours by plane, and many flights daily plus freight flights. I am sure Mizuno could of had a replacement to his specs in his hands within 15 hours max. In any case Mizuno have representation here in Singapore and no doubt a tour van or similar at the tournament.

BTW he seems to have dropped his own "head as a head cover " for his driver - might this be why its taken so long for his driver to have been stolen!?

Brian_Ewen

Did he change to Mizuno ?

Has always used a Cobra driver in the past ?

Chip Gaskins

Sorry, to set the record straight.  Poulter uses Cobra, not Mizuno.  We got of track with the manufacturer.

Will MacEwen

I agree that this just sounds off.  Why not just claim a back strain, or a chronic case of the trots? 

Sean_A

While the excuse is lame, it is amazing as to why people should care enough to respond in the manner some have.  Kick on folks.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Sam Morrow

If a player of that caliber withdraws because of that then I have no respect for him. Thats embarrassing not only for him but for Mizuno. 

I know, I thought Poulter played Cobra.

Matt OBrien

I know, I thought Poulter played Cobra.

My mistake guys. I get them European dressers mixed up sometime. I was thinking of Luke Donald who plays mizuno. They all look the same in their bright pants and dizzy shirts. Sorry

Mike Hendren

"If you're any good, you can play with a broomstick."
-The Late Fred Formanski
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back