News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Blakely

Re: The Most Fun Course
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2008, 07:01:27 PM »
I have a blast on Mountain golf courses - love the elvation changes (not that I have not had a blast playing courses like Yale, The Knoll, Wee Burn etc.) I will nominate:

The Balsams - Panorama Course, NH
Olde Beau GC, NC
The Highland Course at Primland, VA

Tim Leahy

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2008, 07:13:42 PM »
Can anyone name a great course that is not fun?

Bethpage Black

Olympic Club Lakeside

Spyglass

Two of my most fun, I guess I'm just masochistic 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Sean_A

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2008, 07:26:18 PM »
This is actually the easiest of these these golf ranking/best of threads.  PENNARD is hands down the course I have the most fun playing and that is true anytime of the year, week in and week out.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 07:37:24 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bill_McBride

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2008, 07:26:50 PM »
TOC played from sensible tees - even if you are not on your game you still enjoy the fun of it.

TOC for me for sure.  Good call, Mark.  It's so much fun playing all those bump and run shots you have to play.  North Berwick would be a close second.

As to playing the sensible tees, you really don't have a choice if you're there as a visitor.  Those way up tees are actually the best for me these days, but I suspect they are too short for many long and strong players.

tlavin

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2008, 07:52:51 PM »
I will go with a rogue pick: Pinehurst #1.  We played it right after we played #2 in the morning.  It was fun, scenic and just a miniature bit of golf heaven.  125 yard par-3's, three-wood, wedge par 4's and reachable par 5's. 

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2008, 09:27:37 PM »
Charlie:

First, I must clarify that I said less fun than others.  When you look at it like that, it should be easy to see why some can still be considered "great."  They are that because they challenge the best players mightily, or have some other values besides providing fun for all golfers.

But if you want to look at it very literally, then no, no course can be great and NO fun at all.

TH

Tom, I actually agree with you for once ;). I was just giving Michael and Jed a hard time (good-naturedly of course) as is my wont, and pushing to get some clarification.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2008, 09:50:23 PM »
I really enjoy a walk around Aiken Golf Club. 

Also, the Jekyll Island 9 hole Dunes Course always seems to put a smile on my face.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2008, 06:05:34 AM »
North Berwick for me.  Just so many different and fun shots to be played there.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2008, 08:07:07 AM »
Dare we conglomerate the ideas expressed regarding individual courses?

It seems that a fun course has as many different shots as possible, including up and down hill, bank shots, unique shots, run up, high spin, low trajectory, cut and draw, etc.  That would apply to short game with a variety of recovery shots presented, and putting, too, with one himalaya type green, some flat, etc. 

If I can imagine a shot as a golfer, it should be on the cousre.

It also seems the course should be a something less than a relentless test of golf - there should be breather hole/shot here and there and there ought to be a way to play where you are assured that you won't find water, etc. even at the expense of missing the green.  Even a shot to an island green for max precision is fun once or maybe twice per course.  But a steady diet of small targets and narrow fw appeals only to a few.

From an old thread, I will add that there should be some lag time between striking the ball and knowing the result! That could be from carry hazards where you have to wait until the ball lands, semi blind shots, or firm and fast conditons.

A dash of firm and fast is always more fun than soggy, partly for the reason above.  I imagine if the course was baked rather than firm, it would not be quite as fun.

Ditto the wind. It must be present to be fun, but not so strong that you can't judge shots or stand up to hit them!  Not that anyone can control that...... 

The course should be somewhere less than the max length you can play - because its always hard to play a good shot at long distance constantly.   If you COULD play at 7500 yards and reach the greens, I think 7200 would be fun, while 7600 would be a test.  If you could play 6800 yards, then a course set up at maybe 6600 yards, etc.  Long courses just aren't that fun (for most)

Of course, state of mind is difficult to control, but essential.  For example, I could rarely be at the golf course without a unpleasant send off from the ex.  Kind of hard to enjoy yourself when you know you will catch hell when you get home.  For that matter, I always play badly when I "know" I should be getting some work done.  If you can tell me how to control those things as a gca, I would try!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Rich Goodale

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2008, 08:26:15 AM »
Painswick

There is not a single hole that does not elicit a huge grin and/or an OMG!

There is very much a there, there........

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2008, 09:16:49 AM »
Nobody has mentioned it so I'll pipe in -
Royal Melbourne West

Also I thought we had a lot of fun at Elie in June. I can't wait to get back there.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2008, 09:20:18 AM »
loyd,

Good call. I played three times in two days, never in more than 2H 45M with my 130 shooting wife.  Didn't lose to many balls on way to low 80's myself.  The day I played was just as I described above - kind of breezy kind of firm and fast but not objectionably so.  made for a real fun test of golf.

Another thing that was fun about RM was that the carry bunkers were actually fairly easily carried, but still fun.  I think if your carry distance is 240, its fun to play over carry bunkers at 220, but harrowing to do so if at 235.  Again, I think part of the "fun" is a reasonable, but not max challenge.  I would have had to really come off a shot to fall into some of those bunkers.

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2008, 09:30:44 AM »
Buenaventura Circa 1924.

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in all of my life.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2008, 09:32:46 AM »
Tommy,

That needs some more explanation!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2008, 09:34:44 AM »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2008, 02:09:18 PM »

Also I thought we had a lot of fun at Elie in June. I can't wait to get back there.

I voted for TOC and North Berwick above, but Elie is also in that category in terms of the fun shots you get to play.  It's a great place for a four ball match!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2008, 04:18:34 PM »
Another mention for Elie and another Arble course - Kington.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Greg Holland

« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2008, 05:50:13 PM »
Agreed on North Berwick -- hard to beat.  I've tried to post photos of 13 and 16 as examples.

Doug Wright

« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2008, 06:25:28 PM »
I can usually find some fun in most any course but for great fun I'd say the following:

Ballyneal
Cruden Bay
Pacific Dunes
Four Mile Ranch (the new Engh course in Canon City, CO)
Kapalua Plantation
Dooks
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 10:49:24 AM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2008, 09:09:16 PM »
North Berwick
TOC
NSW GC (it always beats me up as well but I absolutely love it !!)

JMorgan

« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2008, 09:45:54 PM »
i'll throw in
Lahinch
Machrie
Fraserburgh
Narin&Portnoo
Ardglass

Gerry B

« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2008, 01:53:47 AM »
omitting most of the usual suspects top ranked / diffilcult courses my list would include:

myopia hunt club
maidstone
yale
the creek club
fishers island
sheep ranch
bel air
indian creek
chicago golf club
sand hills
shoreacres
mid ocean
cypress point
scarboro

Mike Fowler

« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2008, 02:27:58 AM »
It may not be the best golf course but the most fun I've had on a golf course lately was at Great Waters Reyonlds Plantation. Played 54 in a day with my 3 buddies. There wasn't a soul on the course and we were all playing really well. Lots of birdies. What a treat! It's amazing how much more fun golf is if you're playing good!!

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2008, 08:41:32 AM »

I voted for TOC and North Berwick above, but Elie is also in that category in terms of the fun shots you get to play.  It's a great place for a four ball match!

Bill
Agree with both Lloyd and you re Elie.  That was a great match the three of us and Mike Whitaker had there this summer.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Scratch_Nathan

« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2008, 10:00:49 AM »
Fun is exactly the word I use to describe Bayonne.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back