News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Is your 1st still in your top 10?
« on: November 11, 2008, 02:34:58 PM »
I'm curious:

Where do you currently have your first ranked course played on your personal favorites list?  Has the designation of being the first ranked course you played given it a little more staying power in your mind re: how it's positioned among your favorites?  For simplification, let ranked mean any published ranking list you'd find that course on.

My first: Pinehurst #2  - 1983

My second: Spyglass Hill - 1992

Expanding the exercise, please list your top 10 favorites and the year you first played them.  Not really a best list or a most fun list, just a plain old personal favorites list.

My top 10 favorites played:

1. The Ocean Course 1992
2. Pasatiempo 1992
3. Kingsley Club 2007
4. Pinehurst #2 1983
5. Spyglass Hill 1992
6. Forest Dunes 2007
7. Olde Farm 2008
8. Long Cove Club 1993
9. Shoal Creek 1997
10. The Honors Course 1992

I'll say yes, with Pinehurst being my first ranked course played. When I was in 8th grade I attended the week-long Pinehurst Junior Golf Advantage School along with two friends and had plenty of exposure to the Pinehurst mystique.  I Played #2 the day before school began with my dad and grandpa along with two caddies, Luther & Cleveland, who both made that day extra special with tales of caddying for past legends, like Mr. Snead and Mr. Hogan.

The golf school culminated with a tournament on #2 followed by dinner and awards that evening at the hotel.  All of this etched deep inside as really one of the best times of my life.  I really did appreciate the greatness of the golf course back then, mostly I guess because it was so much different than the golf courses at home, and the scale, my goodness that place seemed HUGE.

So I have always been a big fan, pulling for Pinehurst as it began to move 'back up' the rankings over the past 25 years or so and having the ultimate honor of hosting multiple US Opens, since.

One final note, if you look at my top 10 favorites list above, I first played 4 of my top 5 favorites over 15 years ago, with Kingsley the lone newcomer.  I liked TKC so much.  I couldn't help but envision it placed on my parent's farm in TN.  If I'm ever so lucky and blessed to pursue the dream, I know what it is I'm looking for in design concept.

I haven't played alot of ranked courses compared to many of you guys on here, but I am curious if I'm perhaps being overly sentimental with my favorites.  You know, the good ole days, when you were a kid sorta thing.

Will the top crumble upon my first visit to Bandon or a visit to the UK for Buda '09?

I hope so.  I really do.

Have at it!

Eric

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 04:02:30 PM by Eric Smith »

Tom_Doak

Re: Is your 1st still in your top 10?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 02:44:38 PM »
Eric:  To play it safe, I'm going with ten of the courses I rated 10's on the Doak scale, all of which were included a long time ago. 

Cypress Point:  1976 (age 15)
The Old Course St. Andrews:  1976
Pine Valley:  1980
Merion (East):  1980 (the next day)
Crystal Downs:  1982
Royal Dornoch:  1982
Ballybunion (Old):  1983
National Golf Links:  1985 (I'd walked it in 1980, but didn't get to play until '85 I think)
Shinnecock Hills:  1985 also
Royal Melbourne (West):  1986

It's been all downhill since I played Royal Melbourne on my 25th birthday.  The only courses I've played since which might crack this lineup are Sand Hills or one of my own, and I played all of those the year they opened, obviously.

The first ranked course I played was Harbour Town, when I was ten or eleven.  I still have fond feelings for it, but it wouldn't make my top 50 now.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 02:57:35 PM »
A personal favorites list for me would include a couple par three courses, for purely sentimental reasons.  I gather you want a list more of favorite "great" courses - ie "ranked"?

Sentimentality comes into that as well for sure - and I find nothing wrong with that.  But then again I have also argued in the past that my "favorites" list is pretty much equivalent to my "best" list, and necessarily should be.  As you can guess this kinda thing has been discussed MANY times in here.

But no one has ever asked the chronological question you do Eric, which is pretty interesting.

The first ranked course I ever played I believe was Pebble Beach.  I played it when I was 13 years old and although I was fortunate to play a lot of good courses before that, I can't recall any ranked ones.  The second one was Riviera.  I know I played that early on in high school.

Pebble Beach stays high on my list; Riviera is nowhere to be found.  I think sentimentality plays a little role is how HIGH Pebble stays, but then again it's a plain great golf course so maybe not.

Now... just off the top of my head.... please don't hold me to this as my personal list would change all the time based on whims.... top 10 faves list:

1.  Sand Hills (2004 I think)
2.  Cypress Point (1980)
3.  NGLA (2004?)
4.  Pebble Beach (1976)
5.  St. Andrews Old Course (1981)
6.  Royal Dornoch (1988)
7.  Ballybunion Old (1988)
8.  Shinnecock Hills (2004)
9.  Pacific Dunes (2003?)
10.  Pasatiempo (1981)

Not sure what this shows....

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 02:58:08 PM »
The first ranked course was Huntingdale or Metropolitan. I played them on consecutive days, but it was over 25 years ago, so I can’t remember which one I played first. Metro was, & still is in the Australian top10 & Huntingdale wasn’t far out of it, although it doesn’t make the top 50 these days.

Unfortunately, neither would be anywhere near my top 10 these days. Since playing both of those courses I have played some of the best courses in 11 different countries & added over 600 courses to my overall list. ( I had played about 100 courses around Australia when I play them).

My top 10 list these days is: (And it changes regularly)
1.   North Berwick (West)
2.   T.O.C.
3.   Merion
4.   Prairie Dunes
5.   Bethpage Black
6.   Garden City
7.   Royal Melbourne (West)
8.   New South Wales
9.   Swinley Forest
10.   Royal St Georges

I’m sorry, but I don’t remember exactly what years I played them. I’ve played them all more than once though (except Royal St Georges) & a few of them I have played many times.

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 02:59:02 PM »

Thanks for that Tom D.

My list, then boom - THE LIST.  ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 03:06:32 PM »

Thanks for that Tom D.

My list, then boom - THE LIST.  ;D

What are Andrew and I, chopped liver?

My list compares nicely to that hack Doak's.  So does Andrew's.

;D

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 03:11:06 PM »
Tom H -

Not at all!

I had typed that prior to seeing yours  ;D

Impressive list and thank you for sharing it.

I've always agreed with your position that a favorites list is pretty much a best list.  I just cannot, no matter how hard I could even try, begin to break it down architecturally speaking, like Matt Ward for example.  I admire him for his ability to break it down architecturally speaking, but I also consider 'best' to include the walk in the park aspect that you or John Kirk point to often times in discussion.

'Favorites' keeps me in safe mode!  

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 03:13:18 PM »
As far as I can remember, Yale was the first "ranked" course I ever played...it's still at the top of my list.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 03:14:35 PM »
Much better, Eric.  The bombs have been recalled.

;D

I find little sense in assessing things based on "architecture" but I have belabored that way too many times already as you know.  So "favorites" works great by me.  John Kirk remains very wise.   ;)

My list does hold some courses generally-accepted as great, for sure.  But what kinda surprises me is how easily courses do break into the top 10... that is, play a new great course, boom, there it is.  I have less sentimentality in this than I would have thought.  The only questionable one is perhaps Pasatiempo...

TH

Eric Smith

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 03:19:03 PM »
The only questionable one is perhaps Pasatiempo...

our only shared top 10 favorite

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 03:21:09 PM »
The only questionable one is perhaps Pasatiempo...

our only shared top 10 favorite

And a great course it is!
It's just not a Doak 10 and is farther from the top of most lists than others I could have included.  I think the sentimentality does play into it a little for me.... as well as the fact I have had a very long love-hate relationship with this course.  It's so great now with the restorations, it's all love.  But it was hate for awhile due to price among other things....

TH

Eric Smith

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 03:30:31 PM »

10.   Royal St Georges

Andrew thanks for sharing your list.  My mom's maiden name is George and I've always been intrigued with Sandwich, and the lore of St. George.  Recent photos posted on GCA make me sweat bullets.

If all goes to plan I hope to play Royal St. Georges next fall.  Are you perhaps planning to play in the Budapest Cup as well?

Andy Troeger

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 03:41:50 PM »
I played Crooked Stick and Point O'Woods in 1995/6 in high school--I really didn't play anything else that noteworthy for close to 10 years after that. Both tried to hang around for awhile, but now are probably down to around #25-30 on my list. I haven't been back to Crooked Stick, but the Point has suffered from a few weather issues that have knocked down important trees, and then the 9th hole has been altered. It went from my favorite par three (although it would have been overtaken anyway) to not even being the best hole on the course anymore, at least IMO.

My ten favorites:
Cypress Point (2007)
Pebble Beach (2007)
Chambers Bay (2008)
The Golf Club (2006)
Blackwolf Run River (2005)
The Alotian Club (2008)
Wolf Run (2006)
Muirfield Village (2008)
Crystal Downs (2006)
TPC Sawgrass (2007)

Its been a good few years for me!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 03:46:48 PM »

1.  Sand Hills (2004 I think)
2.  Cypress Point (1980)
3.  NGLA (2004?)
4.  Pebble Beach (1976)
5.  St. Andrews Old Course (1981)
6.  Royal Dornoch (1988)
7.  Ballybunion Old (1988)
8.  Shinnecock Hills (2004)
9.  Pacific Dunes (2003?)
10.  Pasatiempo (1981)

Not sure what this shows....

Tom,

I'm glad you can finally put a face to my posts. Great list. It shows that you are a blessed man.

Eric,

Good topic. Your list is going to crumble. And hopefully soon.

My Top 10 is chosen soley with the criteria as fun.

1-Cruden Bay
                2-Cruden Bay
                3-Cruden Bay
                4-Cruden Bay
                5-Cruden Bay
                6-Cruden Bay
                7-Cruden Bay
                8-Cruden Bay
                9-Cruden Bay
              10-tie Pacific Dunes and North Berwick 

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 03:48:22 PM »

Eric.... I did not see Avalon on your list.

Anthony

Eric Smith

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 03:49:18 PM »
I played Crooked Stick and Point O'Woods in 1995/6 in high school--I really didn't play anything else that noteworthy for close to 10 years after that. Both tried to hang around for awhile, but now are probably down to around #25-30 on my list. I haven't been back to Crooked Stick, but the Point has suffered from a few weather issues that have knocked down important trees, and then the 9th hole has been altered. It went from my favorite par three (although it would have been overtaken anyway) to not even being the best hole on the course anymore, at least IMO.

My ten favorites:
Cypress Point (2007)
Pebble Beach (2007)
Chambers Bay (2008)
The Golf Club (2006)
Blackwolf Run River (2005)
The Alotian Club (2008)
Wolf Run (2006)
Muirfield Village (2008)
Crystal Downs (2006)
TPC Sawgrass (2007)

Its been a good few years for me!

Andy,

What, no Stonehenge?? ;)  Just kidding.  I seem to recall you having mentioned playing it in a post one time.  It's in my hometown.

You have had a great run these past couple years!

Eric Smith

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 03:50:48 PM »

Eric.... I did not see Avalon on your list.

Anthony

It's T-11 with Brown Acres

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 03:51:40 PM »
This does remind me....

Yes Eric, I too believe your list will crumble a bit, once you get to Bandon.  Pacific Dunes will nearly certainly make the top 10, and the other two might also.  Then if you do play a bit in the UK that means more crumbling.  But of course this is a good thing - a very good thing.

Andy - heck yeah you've had a nice last three years.  I have a feeling we do this again three years from now and your list has at least a few more changes... which again, remains a very good thing.  

John Foley

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 04:57:52 PM »
Eric,

Fun excersize. I keep a list of what I consider my favorite course - ranked liked you asked.

My first ranked course was Kapalua.

The goal is to keep knocking some off as you get to play other ranked course.

1. Sand Hills (2000)
2. Kiahawa – Ocean Course (1993)
3. Pinehurst #2 (2004)
4. Oakmont (2007)
5. Wildhorse (2000)
6. Yale (2008)
7. Arcadia Bluffs (2002)
8. Kapalua – Plantation (1990)
9. MPCC - Shore (2005)
10. Oak Hill East (2005)
11. Leatherstocking (2008)
12. Bandon Dunes (1999)
13. Princeville – Prince (1992)
14. PGA West – Stadium (1993)
15. Newport National (2004)
16. Kingsley Club (2002)
17. TPC Sawgrass (1997)
18. Crumpin Fox (2006)
19. Monroe (2008)
20. Medalist (2002)
Integrity in the moment of choice

Andy Troeger

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 05:24:30 PM »
Eric,

Stonehenge actually made my top ten right after I played it, I think 2004 perhaps. I'm afraid its not there anymore as you noticed...nor do I have any qualms about not including it! I do like the place though, it definitely flies under the radar in Indiana for some reason or another.

(I'm hoping you are referring to the Stonehenge in IN and not the one at Fairfield Glade in TN. I've played that one too, and actually it used to be in my top ten, so the quote above pretty well still applies there too.

Tom,
Is there a reason you have question marks for the more RECENT years instead of the old ones which you appear to be more confident about?  ;D  Shouldn't it be the other way around! I do hope my list continues to change, that would likely only be a good thing!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 05:27:51 PM »
Andy - you're right, it really should be the other way around.  It's funny though I can exactly pinpoint the first time I played those ones way way back based on where I was in the world.. ie 13 yrs old, high school, college... recent years being all the same (working stiff) I can't really recall exactly which year I played those!

Of course this is the price one pays when one keeps no records and starts to get old. 

;D

John Moore II

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 06:54:05 PM »
The first top 100 course I played was Pine Needles. And of the courses where I have played all 18 holes (I have not played the whole course on Pinehurst #2) it is the best I have seen. But if we are talking about any kind of ranking, the first ranked course I played was Bryan Park (Champions), it has been ranked off and on in the Golf Digest Best In State numbers, and I doubt its in my top 10 anymore.

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 07:10:10 PM »
The first great/seriously ranked course I ever played was Oakland Hills - it must have been about 1980 when I first played it.  OH doesn't even register on my favourites list these days. 

In alphabetical order

Addington  ~1991
Ballybunion  ~1994
Enniscrone  ~2008 (current layout)
Kington  ~1998
North Berwick  ~1991
Pennard  ~2001
Prestwick  ~1999
Royal St Georges  ~1992
St Enodoc  ~2000 (though I honestly can't remember)
Woking  ~1991

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jon Heise

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 07:32:42 PM »
Arcadia Bluffs was the "first".  It's since dropped, but recent playings have made me like it a bit more.  Its in the 10-15 area now...

1- 4 are a total toss up.  I don't care to try sort these out, love them all equally for different reasons.  It gets blurry after 9 or so too.  My dates for rated courses definitely dont go back too far.

1a. Pinehurst No. 2 (2007)
1b. Greywalls (2007)
1c. Kingsley Club (2008)
1d. Crystal Downs (2008)
5. Tanglewood Park (2007)
6. Ocean Course (2007)
7. Forest Dunes (2007)
8. Tobacco Road (2007)
9-?  Dunes Golf and Beach Club, Caledonia, Otsego Club, Timberstone, Eagle Eye, Arcadia Bluffs...
I still like Greywalls better.

Mike Fowler

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2008, 07:37:43 PM »
The first ranked course I ever played was Shoal Creek. It is still way up there but it's been a long time since I played it and the memory has faded with time.

1. Whistling Straits - 2004
2. Pacific Dunes - 2006
3. Golf Club of Tn. -2008
4. TPC Sawgrass - 2003
5. Shoal Creek -     1997
6. Kiawah Ocean Course - 2007
7. PGA West - 1998
8.  Atlanta C.C. - 2001
9. Bandon Dunes - 2006
10. Blackwolf Run - 2004

2 courses each at both Bandon and Kohler. Quality, quality, quality>>>>.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back