News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Born-Again Biarritz!
« on: November 06, 2008, 01:05:35 PM »
Hackensack Golf Club (Charles Banks, 1926) is restoring their Biarritz! As best as we can tell, the front traps were removed in the 1940's due to financial reasons, and William Gordon filled in much of the swale and raised the bunker floors in the early 1960's.  Well, we are brininging it back:

Before photos (front section cut to green height for two years prior to work commencing)

Work this week

New Black tee will play 250 so even the long hitters will have to run it through the swale

I'll post the "after" pictures when the work is done.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 02:23:49 PM by Bill Brightly »

Joel_Stewart

Re: Born-Again Biarritz!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 01:29:16 PM »
What was the reason they decided to restore it?   It must have gone before the green committee at someones urging.

I've wondered how many other golf courses have classic features and choose not to restore them.  I know of one course that had a biarritz and the superintendent would even think of restoring it, hated it.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 01:42:48 PM »
Thanks William G. - I'm sure it was the committees direction though.

Are you doing the work in house or out?

Will you be thinning some of the trees behind the green too... I hope.  :)
Did you take down the larger ones?

cheers

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jed Peters

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 01:51:29 PM »
Good work Bill!

As the Chair of the greens commitee...you have much to be proud of for your restorative work there!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 02:22:04 PM »
How deep will the swale be?  Any pin positions there? 

Do any Biarritz holes have swales as deep as at Yale? 

Ian Larson

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 02:33:20 PM »
Great stuff, do keep us posted!

re Joel_Stewart......that super should have nothing to do with the decision to restore that biarritz, what a shame.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 02:49:05 PM »
Joel, & Mike

Hackensack is one of Charles Banks first solo efforts: we hired him 7 months after Raynor died in 1926. Many of the true MacRaynor features were erased by William Gordon in the 1960's under the direction of a "Modernization Committee." (Ugh!)

We wanted to get back to our Banks' lineage and the bones of his design still remain. We also needed to add drama and interest off the tee because so many of Banks' original bunkers were either never built or removed. (The well-deserved rap on our course was always that it was boring off the tee.) We have a restoration plan prepared by Rees Jones using Banks original plans and old aerial photos that we uncovered in the basement.  We spent 3 years on the planning-approval process and as per or by-laws, the plan went to a full vote of the membership, passing 191-9.

Interestingly, the restoration of this hole caused the most controversy.  I heard so many comments such as "it is weird" "it is stupid" etc etc. It took me a while to "get it" but now I can't wait. It truly is one of the unique features of a MacRaynor course.

I also think this is a different type of an assignment for Rees. His charge was to restore in a Banks style and so far the recation from the members has been great!. While Gordon "flattened" many of the bunkers, we are digging down to to find the old sand and re-building many bunkers as Banks intended.

Yes, we are taking down the trees behind the green, but not all at once :). If you notice the before picture, you will see many more on the left.  

We are doing the work in house. We are fortunate in that we have a very talented superintendent. That is him on the bull dozer!!! (He still likes to play with the toys once in a while.) This lets us do one or two holes each season and keeps the costs down. No way we were getting a multi-million project passed by the membership. We can fund this work through our normal annual budget and not have to assess the members.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 11:42:34 AM by Bill Brightly »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 03:00:26 PM »
I think the swale will be about 3-4 feet deep. It was only about 18 inches after Gordon was done....

It will not be as deep as Yale's. Our consulting architect and superintendent were really concerned about being able to run the mowers on the edges of the swale.

I guess you will be able to put a pin in the swale...but I hope it never happens... For that matter, I hope the pin is rarely in the front section. IMHO, that is just a well-trapped approach to the "real green", although our front section will be maintained at green height.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 11:43:14 AM by Bill Brightly »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 03:01:04 PM »
Here is the original hole as built by Banks

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 04:02:36 PM »
Bill,
Great to see this wonderful looking hole get restored. It's going to be interesting to see how Rees performs when its finished--and he should know there will be people who are looking to be just as critical as he has of their work on previous Raynor and Banks efforts.

Lets hope he pulls it off.

And yes, please keep us in tune with the progress.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 04:11:06 PM »
Hi Bill, thanks for the update. Looks great.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 06:34:57 PM »
Bill,

Congratulations for getting the project from concept to reality.

Hackensack has some great par 3's and you've just enhanced one of them.

The Gordon version was rather bland.

The new green and complex will be an exciting departure, adding a uniqueness to the golf course.

Keep up the great work.

P.S.  Is it possible that your Biarritz could also have skyline green ?
        I can hear the winter chainsaws playing my favorite tune.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 06:42:38 PM »
It must be one of the rare times where somebody comes up and says:

Go ahead, put the blade down and run that dozer in the middle of the green :D :D

Bill Brightly

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 01:07:25 PM »
Some of you asked for updates, so here is the work in progress:

Jed Peters

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 01:21:26 PM »
Looks great, Bill!

Pat Burke

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 03:50:11 PM »
Congrats Bill!  Does my heart good to see your supt doing the work in house AND in budget.  I was fortunate enough growing up (and now on occasion ;)) to work for a guy like that.  Ironically he started in the same area and did a lot of work in central Jersey.
Thanks for the updates

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 09:35:43 PM »

bump

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back