News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale_McCallon

Re: What is everybody reading? (Both GCA and non-golf)
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2008, 10:18:38 AM »
The Nine by Jefffrey Toobin.  A fairly interesting book about the Supreme Court.  It was a little more tilted towards one political side than I would have liked, but all in all an interesting behind the scenes look at the justices.

Rapture Ready--an odd book by a Jewish writer who delves into the world of Christian pop culture.  He goes to Christian concerts, comic shows, and even a Christian wrestling event.  Very entertaining; I laughed out loud a few times which is always a good sign to me.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2008, 02:51:37 PM »
Nearly finished Geoff Shackelford's excellent "Grounds for Golf".

Just started re-reading the first edition of "World Atlas of Golf" in anticipation of unwrapping the new edition on Christmas morning ;D

Also just started Sir Bobby Charlton's autobiography "The Manchester United years".

I might finish more books if I concentrated on one at a time ;D
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Norbert P

« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2008, 03:51:31 PM »
Non-golf . . . The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid   by Bill Bryson   ( I wish he'd write a golf book.)

Golf . . .        Perry Maxwell's Prairie Dunes   by Mal Elliot
                   A Commonwealth of Golfers    by The Massachusetts Golf Assoc.

Blog (non-golf) . . .     My friends who are on a budget world tour. 
                                   (Now in Delhi, India)
                                   http://www.hollyannsaulie.blogspot.com/
                                   http://www.sletchy.blogspot.com

Obama victory news.  A terrific Charlie Rose was on last night with two editors from Newsweek and the senior White House correspondent from ABC. (It's actually being rebroadcast right now (time sensitive statement) in the Portland area.)

« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 04:07:26 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

David Stamm

« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2008, 04:28:04 PM »
As I See It- J Paul Getty (autobio)

Founding Brothers- Joseph Ellis

John Adams- David Mccullough

...not reading much GCA related titles as of late.....

Are you kidding? I had that finished before making my connecting flight home! ;D

Finished the Maidstone club history already?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Don Hyslop

« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2008, 04:34:13 PM »
Non-golf: "Extreme Measures" by Vince Flynn. Another classic. You need to read all ten of his best sellers.

Agreed, Flynn's character Mitch Rapp is outstanding. Also just finished David Baldacci's new novel "Divine Justice" and would reecommend that as well
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

James Boon

« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2008, 07:26:12 PM »
Not really reading any golf related books at the moment but I do keep looking through the new Pete Dye book and I've got a Scotland Gift by CB Macdonald waiting to be started.

Just finished the cricketer Marcus Trescothick's autobiography. An interesting insight into the world of a great guy suffering from depression.

Most of my books are still packed from the house move some months back waiting for the shelving to be designed and constructed in the library. Also keep dipping in and out of Terry Pratchett's The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld and reading Building Design, Architects Journal etc professionally.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Willie_Dow

« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2008, 07:49:34 PM »
Bobby Jones Story:  Grantland Rice - 1953

Chapter 29, T Stewart - A great story of the forge shop !  Hickories for both Bobby and Francis Ouimet !

Willie

Kenny Baer

« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2008, 08:05:41 PM »
Golf:
Tom Doak's confidential guide; thank you Mr. Copeland.....

Non-Golf:
The Mongolian Kama Sutra

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2008, 02:23:33 AM »
Golf related: Pine Valley Golf Club ~ A Chronicle

Non-Golf Related: La gloire de mon Pere
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2008, 02:57:13 AM »
Harvard Schmarvard and several other books about the college admissions process.

Sébastien Dhaussy

« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2008, 06:55:54 AM »
Golf : I've just finished "The Vardon Invasion" by Bob Labbance

and I will follow with the new "World Atlas of Golf"

Non golf : "The damned United" by David Peace
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2006/aug/19/sportandleisure.shopping

"It's for everyone to choose his own path to glory - or perdition" Ben CRENSHAW

Michael Blake

« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2008, 10:05:43 AM »
Just finished "Mike Caro's Book of Poker Tells"  Players at my home game are in even more trouble now.  8)

Currently reading, "Over the Edge of the World" about Magellan's exploration.

And Paul Daley's "Golf Architecture, vol 4."  Congratulations to Paul and to all who contributed.

Brian Laurent

« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2008, 08:24:32 AM »
Golf related:  once again reading Brad's "Rough Meditations"

Non-golf:  with a three month old in the house, this category is filled with Dr. Seuss books and lots of stories about talking farm animals
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2008, 10:19:33 AM »
Just finished ‘Tom Morris of St Andrews: The Colossus of Golf 1821-1908’ by David Malcolm & Peter Crabtree.    Also ‘In Search of the Trojan War’ by Michael Wood.

Half way through ‘The Grandeur that was Rome’ by J C Stobart

Soon to start ‘A School In South Uist’ (Reminiscences of a Hebridean Schoolmaster, 1890-1913) by F G Rea.

Also enjoy light reading Clive Cussler he seems to write the way I play golf.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2008, 10:22:22 AM »
"On the Road" by Jack Kerouac (wife's pick)

I just read Cormac McCarthy's "The Road".  
Peter, my previous book too -  very dark but excellent

I read to get away from golf in the fall and then read about golf as the new season approaches.

My October:

On the Road
Cormac McCarthy's "The Road".   
Agony and the Ecstasy (about Michelangelo)
Great Expectations
Kite Runner

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 10:25:53 AM by Ian Andrew »

Craig Sweet

« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2008, 10:36:32 AM »
I'm reading The Omnivore's Deliemma   by Michael Pollan.....it has totally made me rethink what I eat and how I eat....
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Jason Topp

« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2008, 10:31:28 PM »
Non golf-

A Death in Belmont - Interesting account of the Boston Strangler investigation

No Ordinary Time - Doris Kearns Goodwin about the relationship between Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt

Rome 1960 - David Maraniss - About the Olympics - I devoured this one in two days

Over the Edge of the World - Bergreen - Talk about a real adventure - Magellan had one

John Adams - McCullough

Chalked Up - Sey - Gives a clear view of the dark side of elite gymnastics and the author is an interesting person who I hope is doing well as an adult.

Golf

Teeing off-Bowden- Pretty entertaining but I had heard most of the stories before.

paul cowley

« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2008, 04:21:08 AM »
Pinhook - Finding Wholeness in a Fragmented Land....a book about the Pinhook Swamp area [immediately south of the Okeefenokee]....and The Ecology of a Cracker Childhood.

....also Artisan Distilling - A Guide for Small Distilleries.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:11:39 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

MargaretC

« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2008, 06:17:43 PM »

Oprah loves her Kindle, but I can't imagine reading a computer tablet. I have a hard time reading long posts on here...

George, I felt exactly the same way, but then I was given one as a gift a couple of months ago.  I initially thought, what a waste, but there was no way for me to return it gracefully.  ::)  It does take a bit to get accustomed to the format, but it is definitely cool.  Actually, I think it is likely to be more appreciated by some men insofar as many men I know read more than one book at a time, whereas, I and many women I know, typically stick to one book until I finish it.  The Kindle holds approximately 200 books which is great for those who travel.

In my view, the Kindle is more appropriate for lite reading and won't replace books that persons want to collect.  Currently, my husband has "borrowed" it because of his recent travel schedule.  The other cool feature is that you can download one chapter for free to see if you like the book.  I am fascinated with the technology -- very clever. 

Meg 

Brent Hutto

« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2008, 09:30:05 AM »
On last week's airplane trip I just finished Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann which is the best sheep-detective novel I've read in a long, long time. Before that it was Anathem the latest by Neal Stephenson. Next up is The Moon is a Harsh Mistress which I've inexplicably never read.

Phil McDade

« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2008, 10:45:19 AM »

Rome 1960 - David Maraniss - About the Olympics - I devoured this one in two days

Jason:

Have you read his others? They're all quite good; highly recommended, especially the Lombardi bio.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back