News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Original 9 At Bonneville Golf Course in SLC, UT....w/pics.
« on: November 03, 2008, 10:10:40 PM »
I recently had the opportunity to play the original 9 holes at Bonneville Golf Course in Salt Lake City. Opened in 1929, the course was a Willie Bell 9 hole design that meandered over some fairly undulating property with a big ravine that ran thru it.  In the late 1940's an additional 9 was added to become a 18 hole course.  The initial routing was set such that the new 9 holes became most of the front 9.  Since then its been switched so the original 9 holes make up most of the front 9.

I couldn't have been more lucky to catch a great break and get paired with these two fine gentleman.

They are both Utah natives and recalled when it was only a 9 hole course. Yes they had a cart but Artie explaine it best. He said,"I've been playing this course since I was a kid and always walked it until I turned 80.  I figured at that point, I'd earned the right to take a cart". He's 88 now and still going strong!!  They also proved very helpful in explaining the changes over the years including alternate greens at 6 and 8 as well as changes in routing and tee box placement. The current 1st is the same hole as originally created with 2-7 being on the front 9, while the original 8 and 9, are now the 10th and 18th.

If I had to use one word to describe the course it would be understated.  Yes it'll never be in any top 100 list and its likely nowhere close to being in the top 10 in Utah, but the way how the holes just flow with the natural undulations of the place was fantastic...especially on the roller coaster par 5 3rd hole.  Tee ball placement became critical on many holes with the hole locations, and greens that looked flattish were subtley slopped providing for some devilish putts where you had to exercise extreme caution!!

Overall, its a really fun and sporty track and at only $27 yet another superb Utah value!!!

This course review will be of the original 9 holes only as the 2nd 9 aren't really much to write home to Mom about. :)  And Cirba by all means, please correct me if I get any of the details wrong  ;)

Enjoy!

Coming in thru the front gate.  Looks like an old guard post or something...pretty neat.

Hole 1 - Par 4 - A medium length hole that plays uphill.  Not a bad opener.

A shot just short of the green, showing the raised plateau like green.

Hole 2 - Par 4 - A long par 4 requiring two good shots to get on in 2.  Tee shot shows some interesting undulations on the left side.

A good tee ball that finds the fairway will be partially blind with this little ridge being just high enough to see the flag, but not the green.  Neat deception design feature .  If you look close you can see the blue flag.

A view of the green once you get over the rise....

Going long or right can lead to trouble in a hurry.

Hole 3 - Par 5 - Probably the coolest hole on the course.  A medium length 5.

A look at the big swale thats necessary to carry for any hope to get home in 2.

The blind approach in over the hill if going home in 2.  Where do you aim?   ???  ???

Once getting to the top of the slope, it all unfolds before you.

A massive drop seperates the back from the front.  Buyer beware when going home in 2 as over this green makes for a nasty recovery.

Looking back up the hill from behind the green gives an indication to the slopes and undulation that must be negotiated.

Hole 4 - Par 3 - A nice mid-length par 3 where long is wrong.

Looking back at the tee from behind the green.

Hole 5 - Par 4 - A shortish par 4 where a big hitter can take a whack at the green.

Looking back to the tee from the left side of the fairway with the previous hole in the distance.

The approach to a tiny tucked green with a busy street to the left and bunker right.

Looking back up the hole... pic doesn't do justice to the undulations on the edges of this green.

Hole 6 - Par 4 - A medium length par 4 up the hill with two greens that play as alternates.

The original green was not in play today....

Although I think I like the alternate green better.  When I asked these guys why they built the alternate green on this hole and the 8th it was a quick retort "the damn course had too much money lying around I guess".....ahhhh the wisdom!!  ;D

A closer look at the green for today.

Hole 7 - Par 3 - Another gorgeous drop shot par 3 with trouble lurking.

A closer look at the green complex and surrounds.

A bit closer where you can start to see the massive shelf on the back portion of the green.  After I hit my tee ball in that bunker I unintentionlly used that shelf to hit my sand shot to 5 feet after it rolled all the way back to the hole.  Just another ho-hum par save.   ::)

A look from behind the hole, showing the undulation and beauty of the setting.

Hole 8 - Par 4 - A carry is required over the ravine on this long par 4.

A look back at the old bridge to cross over to the fairway.

A look at the approach from the fairway and the two greens.

Today we played to the original green, which I much preffered over the alternate green.  This was a wickedly fast and very sloped green.

Hole 9 - Par 4 - Another long par 4 to head home.  Its very downhill so plays shorter off the tee.  I suspect this may have originally been a par 5 to go along with #3, but not sure on that one.

A look at the undulations in the fairway.

The approach shot back over the ravine into the green.  Stuck a 5 iron to 10 feet....  ;D

....but then left the birdie putt short.  I'm such a Nancy!   :'(

One last look at the hole from the parking lot.  What a nice ampitheatre like setting for the finishing hole.

Mike_Cirba

Re: Original 9 At Bonneville Golf Course in SLC, UT....w/pics.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 10:42:10 PM »
Kalen,

You just brought back a flood of memories from a course I absolutely love.   It plays screaming fast and you always have to consider the slopes with every shot, and also the constants winds swirling along the course that sits exposed right at the foothills of the larger mountain range.

One minor correction.

The first nine was designed by Willie Tucker.

Wm & Billy Bell built the second nine.

I vote that you show pics of those nine holes, as well! ;D

Thanks!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 10:34:47 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for the correction.  It does get fast and firm there in the summer and even now the greens are still running quick.

Didn't mean to slite the 2nd 9 that was added, but the original 9 is the better 9 IMO.  I'll have to get some pics of that before the season is over if possible.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 02:03:14 PM »
for some reason I thought this course would be flat ???
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 02:08:14 PM »
Yes indeed.

Bonneville golf course is in Salt Lake City, not to be confused with Bonneville Salt flats where pretty much all of the world land-speed records are set.  Thats about 100 miles west of here.  ;)

Jon Nolan

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 06:13:58 PM »
I'll have to get some pics of that before the season is over if possible.

Too late.  :-(

I like Bonneville although #9 (old #7) eats my lunch every time for some reason.  I love the contours on the greens and they always have the speed just right.  It might easily get out of control if they weren't careful - i.e. downhill taps going five feet off the green.  Yet they never are that way. 

Best course in the SLC system.  Better than Wingpointe which gets all the 'ranking' love.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 06:31:14 PM »
Jon,

I like WingPointe better overall, even though the original 9 at Bonneville might be my favorite 9.

We need to get out and play some golf.  There are some better courses around, as most of the SLC owned ones are typical 1-2 munis.

Kalen

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 06:40:35 PM »
Delightful stuff, Kalen.
Like some of the others, I expected one ENORMOUS flat-bottomed bunker.
Reminds me of many a Scottish town course, actually. 'Froogal' as my big Doctor brother would say!
A seeming example of 'Enforced Economic Minimalism' and no shame to it for that!
thanks,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 06:46:28 PM »
Delightful stuff, Kalen.
Like some of the others, I expected one ENORMOUS flat-bottomed bunker.
Reminds me of many a Scottish town course, actually. 'Froogal' as my big Doctor brother would say!
A seeming example of 'Enforced Economic Minimalism' and no shame to it for that!
thanks,
FBD.

I did take my FJ off-roading in that afore-mentioned Enormous bunker earlier this spring, but didn't take any pics.

Of course there isn't much to see out that way...just salt, salt, and more salt.  ;D

Jon Nolan

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 06:49:46 PM »
I do like Wingpointe too.  Two pet peeves - water hazard short and left on three par-3s (they feel like the same hole) and the worst bunker sand I've ever seen.  There are some very nice holes there though.

Indeed there are much better courses than the city offerings but some of them are fun little spins - and they feel like home.  Plus you can't beat the prices.

Kalen, there's a chance we'll be playing on Friday the 14th depending on if the snow stays above 5500 feet.  I'm not sure where yet but if you're interested please PM me.  Just myself and my cousin so far.

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 07:53:19 AM »
Kalen

Thanks for posting.  I think the course looks really good.  In fact, this is a great candidate to go bunkerless because I don't see much value added by what is there.  Please, post the pix of the other 9.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 09:51:49 AM »
Sean,

You'll note that much like Cobb's Creek, Bonneville is really "gravity golf" due to the wise use of the natural terrain and firm conditions.

In that regards, a number of bunkers at each fall into the category of "saving" bunkers, which really stop a ball from careening to certain doom and destruction. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 11:02:31 AM »
Sean,

Thats a pretty good point..there isn't one fairway bunker on the original 9 and as Mike pointed out the only greenside ones are more in the saving category.  The one on the par 3 7th definitly saved me from death as my tee ball would have otherwise gone in the ravine.

I'll see if I can't get the other 9 in before the end of the season, but woke up to 2-3 inches of the white fluffy stuff this morning.   ;)

Richard Boult

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 06:14:49 PM »
An interesting point about some of those bunkers.  I agree the ones close to the green on flat ground seem to add little in looks or challenge.
But the ones guarding the big drop offs raise an interesting situation.  I know they are there to help speed play on a public golf course, reduce lost balls and such, but they make the shot easier do they not?  If gravity is so important to the course, it would thrill the golfer more to challenge the threatening side of the green and survive?  If the slopes are such that a ball that misses the green by 10 feet caroms off to 150 feet than that is a design flaw or something that must be considered when hitting a shot?  We usually don't place bunkers, at least I don't thing we should alongside water to keep one's ball "safe."  This is along the line of the subject that Olympic Club would play better and harder if there were no roughs and those bad shots kicked balls farther off line and in some cases into trees (forests).
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 06:20:48 PM »
An interesting point about some of those bunkers.  I agree the ones close to the green on flat ground seem to add little in looks or challenge.
But the ones guarding the big drop offs raise an interesting situation.  I know they are there to help speed play on a public golf course, reduce lost balls and such, but they make the shot easier do they not?  If gravity is so important to the course, it would thrill the golfer more to challenge the threatening side of the green and survive?  If the slopes are such that a ball that misses the green by 10 feet caroms off to 150 feet than that is a design flaw or something that must be considered when hitting a shot?  We usually don't place bunkers, at least I don't thing we should alongside water to keep one's ball "safe."  This is along the line of the subject that Olympic Club would play better and harder if there were no roughs and those bad shots kicked balls farther off line and in some cases into trees (forests).

Lynn

You are preaching to the converted.  I have been saying this sort of stuff for literally 16 years.  However, if anything, I am noticing more containment bunkering (probably because sites are getting more and more unsuitable for golf), bunkering next to water and bunkering which stops a runout that wouldn't go so far away, but enough to create an interesting recovery.  It would seem that folks like the same sort of recovery shots from sand by the way archies stick them in everywhere.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jon Nolan

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 06:30:55 PM »
Without arguing the point, a good one, I don't really think the bunkers at Bonneville trend to containment.  The bunker right of new #9 (old #7 above) certainly does but that's it if I remember correctly.  I'm on a train right now and the proxy is blocking the images so I might be wrong in my recollections.  The bunkers on old #3 are definitely not behind the green where, should containment be desired, the danger lies (and how!!).  I think there might be something behind #4 between the green and the road but certainly not across the entire back of the green (back left maybe??)  The bunkers on #5 are short and right whereas Foothill Drive and the houses are left and long respectively.  The top green on #6 possibly has a bunker between it and #7 tee but the trouble lurking in that area isn't really in play.  #8 is safe all the way and it's probably impossible to lose a ball within 50 feet of #9 green.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 07:02:42 PM »
Lynn and Sean,

Interesting discussion, and while I agree in principle, I think there are really only two "saving" bunkers on the entire original 9.

1)  Bunkerless
2)  Bunkerless -  Going long or right around this green can be really bad and there is nothing to save you.
3)  1st saving bunker -  The bunker to the right of the green can save you from running into the ravine.  But going long or left, there is no salvation.  So assuming you either go long, short, left, or right, it can only at best save you 25% of the time.
4)  There is a greenside bunker far left, but its really out of play.  I went long into that hillside with the crap last time out and paid the price.
5)  There is a bunker, but not saving at all.
6)  Same for this hole, the alternate bunker green is not saving, and going long is pretty bad, to either green.
7)  No doubt this is a huge saving bunker, and a big bunker in physical size too.
8)  Bunkerless to original green.  Alternate green bunker is there but not saving.
9)  Bunker left is not saving, there is plenty of room over there to spray it if it weren't there.

So there you have it, only 2 saving bunkers on that original 9, with the par 3 being very much into the salvation business.  ;D

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 08:06:09 PM »
Thanks Kalen, only two "saving bunkers."  Now did the original architect install them?  I am guessing someone, a pro or super, came along one time and put them in.  And what do you know about the original architect?
So if there are only two saving bunkers, then this course would play about the same without any bunkers.  If that is the case, then it is a very good design in my opinion.
The pictures are great and I look forward to playing some time.  I go to Park City occasionally. 

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 08:15:49 PM »
Lynn,

Interesting questions that hopefully Mike C can help us with.  It could have also been the Bells who added these when they added the additional 9 holes after the original 9.

While the one on 7 seems to have an original feel to it, the one on #3 seems to be a bit more out of place.  Oddly enough i found both of them during my round.   ;D

Certainly very motivated to get back and take pics of the back 9 for comparison now.

P.S Edit - While the bunker on 5 isn't "saving" it sure does come into play mentally as you try to squeeze your approach into the green between the bunker and the OB fence.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2021, 04:45:50 PM »
I was asked today to look into the architectural heritage of the Bonneville course in Salt Lake City, Utah.  It seems many people think it was a Billy Bell design.

It only took an hour or so to learn it is almost certainly a Willie Tucker design.  Evidence from this article from the November 25, 1928 edition of the Salt Lake Tribune:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2021, 12:04:19 PM »
Having worked on various ‘minor’ plans at Bonneville for the past 12 years, I agree about Tucker. What is obvious, though, is that Bell re-did most everything when it transformed to 18. Hole corridors remained, but not a lot of Tucker detail. The loss of the WPA clubhouse was awful. What’s there now is of no use to anyone. Group events endure tents. We’ve pushed for a major restoration/remodel, but things take time.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2022, 11:37:53 AM »
I was asked today to look into the architectural heritage of the Bonneville course in Salt Lake City, Utah.  It seems many people think it was a Billy Bell design.

It only took an hour or so to learn it is almost certainly a Willie Tucker design.  Evidence from this article from the November 25, 1928 edition of the Salt Lake Tribune:

Its possible this is when Bell was involved when the second 9 was added, although I have not seen anything to confirm this.

Is this the same course as Sunnyside Park Mun. GC?  The 1931 Annual Guide has listings for both Bonneville and Sunnyside, but as Bonneville is located in Sunnyside Park, it gets confusing.  If Sunnyside was a separate course, it was also a Tucker project.

Sven
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 11:40:05 AM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2022, 11:44:54 AM »
Its also interesting that the course is touted as a WPA project with a date of 1929, while the WPA wasn't established until 1935.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 11:47:21 AM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2022, 11:58:33 AM »
A quick search confirmed who the architects were for the second 9 holes.  With the timing of the work and W. P. Bell's death in 1953 one wonders who did the bulk of the work on this one.

June 19, 1952 Salt Lake Tribune.

Dec. 29, 1955 Deseret News and Salt Lake Telegram -

« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 12:04:31 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back