News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ChipRoyce

Pinehurst Resort: I not #2, which other course would you play?
« on: November 03, 2008, 12:38:59 PM »
Going to stay at the resort for a night in mid November.

Not sure if I'll get on #2 by the time we book our room. If I can't get on there, which other course at the resort, based on its quality & architectural merits, would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!
Chip

Anthony Gray

Re: Pinehurst Resort: I not #2, which other course would you play?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 12:41:45 PM »

rjsimper

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 02:28:47 PM »
I have played 2, 4, and 8. 

Despite the hits that 8 takes on this site, I think it's a slightly preferable play to 4.  Both are solid courses.

You probably have good chances of snagging a single or double spot on #2 on the day prior or day of your round.  A foursome is asking a lot but not impossible.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 02:43:16 PM »
Thanks Ryan - I will be just a single so agree that I might be able to pair up.

Then again, #2 carries such a large premium, not sure I want to pay that much this trip. Believe that I could score #2 again pretty soon through business (where I don't have to ante up the greens fees)

John Goodman

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 03:09:21 PM »
I have played 1, 2, 4, 6, 7 and 8.

In descending order of preference after #2, I'd say 8, 7, 4, 6 and 1.  

Any of the non-no. 2 courses would be fine, none will leave you particularly inspired.  I think in Confid Guide the Pinehurst courses were rated:
1 - 3
2 - 10
3 - 4
4 - 5
5 - 4
6 - 5
7 and 8 weren't around in 1996 and so weren't rated.  I'd put them in the 5-6 category myself.

I know you'll be at the resort anyway, but if #2 were not in the offing, I'd scoot over to Tobacco Road myself.  Just me.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 03:19:16 PM »
In order of preference:

Forget the rest

Dedman only puts $$$ into the "Resort Courses" while the "Member Courses" (1,3 & 5) get nothing.

John Moore II

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 04:02:18 PM »
I would actually play 5 before I play 7.  But thats just me. If I had to put them in ranking order, I'd put them 4, 8, 5, 7, 1, 3. But in reality, any of them are very good, IMO.

rjsimper

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 04:59:21 PM »

Then again, #2 carries such a large premium, not sure I want to pay that much this trip. Believe that I could score #2 again pretty soon through business (where I don't have to ante up the greens fees)

If you need a "client" for that round, give me a ring and I can be there in 75 minutes...60 if I really need to.

What is the premium of 2 over 4 and 8?  If I recall correctly, the difference between those courses is not more than $100, since 4 and 8 are both upcharge courses anyhow...if the issue is $250 for 4/8 versus $350 for #2, I would say either play #2 or go somewhere else.  While 4 and 8 are nice golf courses, they are not $150 better than the other courses in the area.

CJ Carder

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 10:28:01 PM »
If what I saw yesterday was any indication of how busy the courses at the resort are lately, you'll have no problem getting a tee time on #2 on relatively short notice.  We played #5 yesterday and just for kicks, I asked the guy in the pro shop what the tee sheet looked like on #2 and he said they had roughly 2-3 tee times completely open every 90 minutes or so.  And that was on a Sunday with sunny skies and 72 degrees!

Having played #5 yesterday, I've now played 2,4,5,6,8.  While I was pleasantly surprised with #5, I would personally go with 4 first, then 8, then flip a coin between 5 and 6.  #3, I looked on the card and it's <6000 yards from the tips, which really surprised me that it was that short, though I don't really know why. 

ChipRoyce

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 11:30:40 AM »

If you need a "client" for that round, give me a ring and I can be there in 75 minutes...60 if I really need to.

What is the premium of 2 over 4 and 8?  If I recall correctly, the difference between those courses is not more than $100, since 4 and 8 are both upcharge courses anyhow...if the issue is $250 for 4/8 versus $350 for #2, I would say either play #2 or go somewhere else.  While 4 and 8 are nice golf courses, they are not $150 better than the other courses in the area.

John: I agree on Tobacco Road - thought about that but won't work this trip. Since its down the road from Cary, sure I'll be playing there in coming months as weather and time allows.

Ryan: Thanks for the 'client' offer. Actually, I too want to assume the role of 'client' for this exercise. I live up in Cary so its not like this is a once in a lifetime oppty to play #2

The resort is charging $185 extra for walk-up, $130 for resort guests above the charge for #4
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 11:33:35 AM by ChipRoyce »

erichunter

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 12:14:53 PM »
  #3, I looked on the card and it's <6000 yards from the tips, which really surprised me that it was that short, though I don't really know why. 

Don't sleep on #3 because of its yardage.  I think this proves Doak's point Doak about the reception of a sub 6,000 yd course.

From Pinehurst's website:

Test your game on the rolling terrain of this classic Donald Ross short course. Its greens were recently renovated with the new Penn G-2 bent grass, making putting accuracy even more at a premium. Ben Crenshaw said it best in the 1970s, when No. 3 made an impression. "I just don't think people understand how good those holes are. They're filled with interest. They're shorter, but there's plenty of character to them."

John Moore II

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 05:55:23 PM »
Yes, #3 is very interesting, though being very short. It has greens very much like the ones on #2, though not as fast, firm, etc. It is a very fun course to play. It has a good number of holes that, while being short, are holes that really make you think about strategy and other things. Its a very cool place.

Sam Maryland

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 07:22:30 PM »
hell, I'd play 4 and 8 BEFORE I'd play 2, JMO...7 is a disappointment, skip it.

SM

David Neveux

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 08:54:43 PM »
Pine Needles ;D

NEV

mike_beene

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 09:11:44 PM »
I would put 4 ahead of 8.Plus it plays from the main clubhouse and is an easy walk.Wasn't 1 just redone?Skip 7.

John Moore II

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 10:02:47 PM »
I would put 4 ahead of 8.Plus it plays from the main clubhouse and is an easy walk.Wasn't 1 just redone?Skip 7.

Yes, 1 was just renovated and it is a very good course. The best of the 'member' or]courses.

Craig Disher

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 10:17:40 PM »
I agree that 1 is the best of the member's courses. Once you're past the first 4 holes, the course is really good and the renovation improved the greens and surrounds significantly.

If you're not pained by the cost, I recommend playing #2 and forgetting all the others. I was there last weekend and 2 is playing beautifully. The greens had been verticut (no topdressing) but remained true and reasonably quick. If you're a single resort guest you'll have no problem getting a tee time.

On the other hand, I think Pine Needles is a far better bargain. Half the price for a course nearly as good and just as well maintained. I also prefer the atmosphere. Mid-Pines is a third the cost and preferred by some.

CJ Carder

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 10:58:57 PM »
On the other hand, I think Pine Needles is a far better bargain. Half the price for a course nearly as good and just as well maintained. I also prefer the atmosphere. Mid-Pines is a third the cost and preferred by some.

I just played Mid Pines this weekend... $75 and the course was in great shape and very interesting. 

Dave_Miller

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 12:52:45 PM »

Not sure if I'll get on #2 by the time we book our room. If I can't get on there, which other course at the resort, based on its quality & architectural merits, would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!
Chip

Chip
Have been to Pinehurst many times and have played all eight course.  My recommendation would be #4 and#8.
Forget #2 it is simply not worth the cost.
Best
Dave

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 12:59:54 PM »
Stay at the Pine Crest Inn and play Pine Needles, Mid Pines, Tobacco Road and sneak in the gates at Dormie and take some pictures for us....save yourself about grand.  Pine Crest is much better.

rjsimper

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 04:42:49 PM »

Thanks in advance!
Chip

Chip
Have been to Pinehurst many times and have played all eight course.  My recommendation would be #4 and#8.
Forget #2 it is simply not worth the cost.
Best
Dave

Easy to say once you've played it, but hard to tell an architecture buff that they should intentionally ignore it.

jim_lewis

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 05:02:22 PM »
Dave:

It seems to me that its presumptious of you to declare that #2 is "simply not worth the cost".  That probably depends on individual financial circumstances and priorities. If one can afford it, its probably worth it. If you can't, then it probably is not worth it. I don't know how you can make that judgement for someone else. The Pinehurst Resort (like many others) markets to those who can afford to play there. The same is true of most high-end businesses such as restaurants, retailers, and auto dealers. Those who can't afford or prefer not to pay should shop elsewhere.

If a serious golfer comes to Pinehurst and can afford it, of course he should play #2. If he can't, there are several other good alternatives in the area.
Play one of those, and come back when you are ready to pay to play #2.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

John Moore II

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 05:27:24 PM »
To say whether or not Pinehurst is worth the cost depends on how much you have to pay. If its the full daily rate of 400 odd dollars, then its simply not worth it. The course is a flatly great course, but IMHO, no course is worth $400, none. But if you can get a better rate from staying at the Carolina Inn (Pine Crest doesn't give you much of a break off the normal rate) then I would say play. But for the daily rate, you will never see me play Pinehurst #2.

CJ Carder

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2008, 09:45:47 PM »
To say whether or not Pinehurst is worth the cost depends on how much you have to pay. If its the full daily rate of 400 odd dollars, then its simply not worth it. The course is a flatly great course, but IMHO, no course is worth $400, none. But if you can get a better rate from staying at the Carolina Inn (Pine Crest doesn't give you much of a break off the normal rate) then I would say play. But for the daily rate, you will never see me play Pinehurst #2.

Agreed, I don't ever want to pay that much money for a round of golf again and know about it (see Scotland trip where we just didn't ask  :)). 

Chip, you did mention that you are going in November, correct?  Usually Pinehurst has an "Evergreen" package or something along those lines where you can basically "stay and play" for a total of about $300.  Granted it's in the winter months (usually November or December through the end of February), but a little bit of dormant bermuda and cold temperatures doesn't change the unique greens and the importance of angles either.  If they have the Evergreen package or something similar going on now, I'd recommend taking advantage of it.  If they don't, then since you live nearby, you can always come back for a long weekend in a few months. 

PM me if you want any more details - we do that trip just about every year.

Sam Maryland

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 08:38:35 AM »
Dave:

It seems to me that its presumptious of you to declare that #2 is "simply not worth the cost".  That probably depends on individual financial circumstances and priorities. If one can afford it, its probably worth it. If you can't, then it probably is not worth it. I don't know how you can make that judgement for someone else. The Pinehurst Resort (like many others) markets to those who can afford to play there. The same is true of most high-end businesses such as restaurants, retailers, and auto dealers. Those who can't afford or prefer not to pay should shop elsewhere.

If a serious golfer comes to Pinehurst and can afford it, of course he should play #2. If he can't, there are several other good alternatives in the area.
Play one of those, and come back when you are ready to pay to play #2.

where does one draw the line on "affordability"?

I wonder what % of the golfing public considers a $400 green fee a non-event?

just curious...

SM

PS...I'm in the "#2 most overated course $-for-$".

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back