News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

Sam Maryland

Re: Heeeeeere's Donald!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 09:30:16 AM »
I wonder who is going to provide the financing?

SM

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 09:34:22 AM »
There could be no other result once the government over-stepped the bounds by calling in this application.  Well, lets Hawtree does a good job.  This is his chance to really shine. 

Ciao 

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 09:48:52 AM »
Forget the course(s)... It's the housing estate that goes with it that kills me...  :'(

Steve Lapper

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 10:03:08 AM »

SM

My guess would be a combination of Citicorp and Textron
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Shane Wright

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 10:05:17 AM »
Has anyone here on GCA been to the site - is it as good as Trump has been touting for years.  I read about this 3 years ago and he was saying then that they would build the best course in the world.

I know it is just Trump being Trump, but I'm interested in someone else's opinion how good the property is.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 10:11:15 AM »
The property is absolutely magnificent.

The dunes are as good or better than neighboring Royal Aberdeen and Murcar.

FWIW...Say what you will, but a well -designed and implemented golf course there will be a net boon to both the golfing public and the local citizenry.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 10:11:19 AM »
Shane,

I have not seen a more beautiful dune system and beach than at Balmedie in Aberdeenshire...

...So the short answer is yes...

...Unfortunately it looks like I will no longer be able to say that in a few years time...

Sam Maryland

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 11:42:29 AM »

SM

My guess would be a combination of Citicorp and Textron

if Trump really has a commitment from Citi on this deal he'd be smart to pull down the ENTIRE line - NOW...

...I don't know what the planned timeline on this development is but I bet there end up being material delays related to financing (if it gets started at all).  just doesn't seem to have the characteristics of something any bank would want to lend on at this time.

SM

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 11:48:25 AM »
Here is a photo gallery of the property. It is quite spectacular.

http://www.trumpgolfscotland.com/gallery/gallery.asp

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 11:49:18 AM »

A true links course with houses. I love it.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 11:51:07 AM »

A true links course with houses. I love it.

Oh no Anthony.... Not houses.... Nine storey apartment blocks

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 12:11:58 PM »
Ally is correct..on the drive up to the area, you will see rising up behind the dunes..apartment blocks...how lovely!

what a delightful back drop to some of the finest dunes I have ever seen.
The golf course "should" be maginificent but all of that accompanying infrastructure will be such a shame.

lesueur

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 12:16:03 PM »
Here is a photo gallery of the property. It is quite spectacular.

http://www.trumpgolfscotland.com/gallery/gallery.asp

David,
I took those photos and it is spectacular. I'm no professional photographer but couldn't help get some good shots - it's very photogenic!

Shane,
I spent a while on the site and it is every bit as good as Trump claims. One of Hawtrees challenges will be designing around the scale of the dunes. They're so dramatic in areas that walks from natural green site to the next tee site will be hard on the heart (or maybe the cart battery??)

Shane Wright

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 12:50:50 PM »
David - thanks for posting the link.

Are you kidding me with those dunes!  Absolutely incredible. 

Richard - Great pictures.  My heart is ready. 

I can appreciate the sensitivety to the development from the locals.  I hope it can be a positive development for all if not most of the parties involved. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 01:03:19 PM »

Who is the architect?

David_Tepper

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 01:27:52 PM »
Anthony G. -

I believe Martin Hawtree will be the GCA of record, at least for the 1st course.

DT

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 10:16:38 PM »

Is nothing sacred?............A links course with apartments............Please shoot me.............How can Scotland allow this?

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 01:49:24 AM »

Is nothing sacred?............A links course with apartments............Please shoot me.............How can Scotland allow this?

Anthony

The locals did stop it, for a while.  Then the all knowing Scottish government stepped in and on their necks.  It doesn't even look as though there was any compromise on the deal to make it a bit more palatable to the locals.  This sort of decision making typifies what is wrong with government.  Jeepers, when knowing people try to reinforce the protection of what little pristine ecosystems are left in the UK the government overturns them.  Its a sorry state of affairs. 

Ciao

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 04:37:31 AM by Sean Arble »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 02:01:23 AM »
Sean , I have yet to meet a "local" that was against it .

Rob Rigg

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 02:04:45 AM »
The Donald is a douche, and whoever approved this should have their bank accounts checked (preferably the ones recently set up on the Isle of Wight) so the public can be made aware of what has happened.

Look at what they did at Machrihanish with DMK - ie) spectacular, and what is going on here - ie) an absolute travesty. It is sickening.

Talk about bringing the worst of American golf overseas to where it all began.

Apartment buildings, condos, homes, defining the routing of the course - beautiful links land defiled by cart paths and buggies.

A nightmarish "quirk-fest"!

Plan for the worst and hope for the best. ie) someone sacks up and puts a stop to this before the shovel goes in the ground.

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 04:35:26 AM »

Brian

Perhaps you haven't met some of the local Council Members. 

The really ironic aspect of this is I bet the course itself will be a stunner.

Ciao

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 04:38:20 AM by Sean Arble »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 04:56:02 AM »
The Donald is a douche, and whoever approved this should have their bank accounts checked (preferably the ones recently set up on the Isle of Wight) so the public can be made aware of what has happened.

Look at what they did at Machrihanish with DMK - ie) spectacular, and what is going on here - ie) an absolute travesty. It is sickening.

Talk about bringing the worst of American golf overseas to where it all began.

Apartment buildings, condos, homes, defining the routing of the course - beautiful links land defiled by cart paths and buggies.

A nightmarish "quirk-fest"!

Plan for the worst and hope for the best. ie) someone sacks up and puts a stop to this before the shovel goes in the ground.

Rob,

I am not sure where you are getting your information about "defining the routing of the course - abeautiful links land defiled by cart paths and buggies"

The latest I heard (whether correctly or not) is that Martin Hawtree has been given a fairly free hand and that there would be no cart paths...

If this goes ahead, I hope the buildings eventually get scaled back one way or another... I also hope that Hawtree tries to push the boundaries with some aspects of the design... Wouldn't it be nice to see some of those blowouts remain intact and untouched? I would love to see him create a great course using as few manufactured hazards as possible... In short, I hope we get some individuality...

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 06:54:42 AM »

Brian

Perhaps you haven't met some of the local Council Members. 

The really ironic aspect of this is I bet the course itself will be a stunner.

Ciao

Sean
No never met any of them .

I am against it , because I am against golf being used as an excuse to build more housing .

But I am in the minority .
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 06:56:23 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 07:10:55 AM »

Maybe The Donald is trying to get a British Open.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back