News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Freeman

The state of Chicago private clubs
« on: October 30, 2008, 01:49:52 PM »
I'm curious if anyone has any insight or intimate knowledge of the financial state of some of Chicago's storied private clubs considering the condition of the economy and bleak outlook for the near future?  And also if any of these clubs are taking steps to curtail the possible lower demand for their memberships. 

Clubs such as (but not limited to):

Chicago Golf Club
Shoreacres
Butler
Beverly
Skokie
Black Sheep (not a "storied" chicago private)
Medinah

Have any clubs lowered initiation fees/monthly dues?  Have waiting lists shrunk or disappeared?

Thanks in advance for the insight!

On a side note, I just moved from Michigan to Chicago and am looking forward to meeting some of the Chicago GCAers!  Are any dinners/get-togethers planned as of right now?

Cheers,

George Freeman

Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

PCCraig

Re: The state of Chicago private clubs
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 01:58:08 PM »
George,

I don't see a Chicago or Shoreacres lowering their initiations within the next 1000 years. Those clubs are probably just fine.

I can't speak of the Black Sheep's of the world. The semi-new clubs with younger members may have some issues.

Welcome to Chicago though! It's a great town.
H.P.S.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »
George, except for the relatively new Black Sheep, all those clubs have been and will be around forever. And the first three have, by design, very small memberships compared to the others. There will never be a "lower demand" for a membership at CGC or Butler, for instance.

Welcome to the neighborhood!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 05:04:09 PM »
George,

You are in luck.  Most clubs have not lowered their fees but many have lowered their standards.  Congrats. 

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 05:06:47 PM »
George,

You are in luck.  Most clubs have not lowered their fees but many have lowered their standards.  Congrats. 

And you know this how?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 05:13:46 PM »
George,

And you know this how?

It is more a statement about a golfing society where someone would troll the internet for deals at great clubs and no one blinks an eye.  There would have been a day that George would be blackballed for even asking.  Do you agree that that day has now passed?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 05:29:47 PM »
I doubt that the clubs in question are seeking (or vetting) new members through an internet golf discussion board. Upper level clubs only extend an invitation of membership to those they know. Your snide remark was directed at the clubs as much as the individual asking the question. I would suspect the clubs mentioned might take exception to your opinion of their membership standards.

No, I don't agree that that day has passed. At least not with the clubs with which I am closely familiar. Perhaps in the areas of the country suffering an economic drought there is some desperation for new members, but not in South Carolina... at least, not yet.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 05:31:55 PM »
Maybe I didn't notice at first glance that George was looking for a deal at a Private Club in Chicago. For some reason I thought he was asking about the state of them in general in Chicago, versus a New York, Boston, or a more rural area.
H.P.S.

George Freeman

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
Pat and Tim, thanks for the insight.

John:  It was a valiant, valiant effort...but very misguided.  I am barely 24 years old and nowhere near being in the financial situation which would allow me to join any of the clubs I listed.  To assume I'm "trolling" the internet looking for a bargain at a top teir club in Chicago is just that, an assumption, and a really bad one at that.

I must be way out in left field to wonder how some of the top clubs in one of the nation's top markets are fairing during these rough economic times.  The resiliency of some clubs and not of others during times like these is, IMO, a pretty interesting topic.

Hopefully your attempt to turn this thread into bickering nonsense, as usual, is abated.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 05:50:48 PM »
George,

You speak well for a kid.  If you are not interested in joining than why partake in gossip and rumor.  If you are truly interested than do what I have always done and just call.

If you don't mind, because I am impressed with your powers of observation, what profession lead you to Chicago?

George Freeman

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 06:01:17 PM »
John,

I'd be more than happy to have a private conversation with you about my profession and my reasons for moving to Chicago if you're interested.

However, the point of my last post was to get this thread back on topic...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 06:10:04 PM »
George,

I have joined quite a few clubs and even resigned from one effective the end of next month.  Even before our current economic meltdown most clubs found ways to get the members that they desire through negotiated terms that make both parties happy.  The only way you will get an answer beyond gossip or rumor is to visit each club and talk to the membership directors yourself.  I am sure, if you are not part of a discriminated class and have a handicap in the low single digits, you can find a spot wherever you desire.

In my opinion Olympia Fields, Medinah and Beverly are exclusive blue collar clubs who would take anyone of above average interest.  To say their standards have not changed, sometimes lower is better, is a head in the clouds opinion.

JWinick

Re: The state of Chicago private clubs New
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 10:37:23 PM »
George:

You can expect that clubs will struggle in this environment.  The better clubs will see waiting lists shorten or disappear.   The best clubs will have no impact.  The middle clubs will struggle.

Note that Ravisloe is about to go under.

Best,

Jon

Pat and Tim, thanks for the insight.

John:  It was a valiant, valiant effort...but very misguided.  I am barely 24 years old and nowhere near being in the financial situation which would allow me to join any of the clubs I listed.  To assume I'm "trolling" the internet looking for a bargain at a top teir club in Chicago is just that, an assumption, and a really bad one at that.

I must be way out in left field to wonder how some of the top clubs in one of the nation's top markets are fairing during these rough economic times.  The resiliency of some clubs and not of others during times like these is, IMO, a pretty interesting topic.

Hopefully your attempt to turn this thread into bickering nonsense, as usual, is abated.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:38:54 PM by JWinick »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back