News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Feature Interviews
« on: October 29, 2008, 10:16:45 PM »
For anyone who's a bit tired of the corrosive political back and forth, and suffering from election ennui, I suggest moving your mouse over to "Feature Interview" to get reacquainted with these wonderful interviews.

Currently on display is the August 2008 interview with Sandy Tatum.

Wow.  8)

From his early days as a kid playing at Wilshire and Bel Air with cut down hickories, to his days as an undergraduate and the first - FIRST - American to play on the Oxford golf team, to his being green committee chairman at Olympic Club during the 1955 U.S. Open, to president of the USGA.....Sandy Tatum is Mr. American golf in the second half of the 20th Century.

I was literally spellbound reading this interview. 

The Feature Interviews are a priceless resource....check 'em out.

Eric Smith

Re: Feature Interviews
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 10:52:04 PM »
They are priceless indeed Bill.  Funny too.  Ran's interview is one of my favorites for sure.  If you haven't read it in a while, it's worth another look, just friggin hilarious.  This in particular:

Lastly, all the great matches have a special place – shaking a stunned Pat Mucci’s hand on the 14th green (I repeat – the 14th green) at Inniscrone after CRUSHING him, shaking Ted Sturges’s hand at any Raynor course because he always folds like a cheap suit, CRUSHING Jim Urbina at PacDunes, CRUSHING Jeff Mingay at Cape Breton Highlands, CRUSHING Mark Studer at Oakmont, CRUSHING Rich Mandell at Southern Pines, CRUSHING George Blunt at Royal Sydney, CRUSHING Geoff Childs at Beechtree, CRUSHING Chip Oat on the West Course at Merion, CRUSHING Brian Silva at Black Creek, CRUSHING Adam Clayman at Pinion Hills, CRUSHING Rick Holland at Silloth on Solway (though technically the match wasn’t over until he missed a putt for a halve on the 18th green) , CRUSHING Tom Huckaby at Sand Hills, CRUSHING Bob Harrison at the Moonah Course at National, CRUSHING Jeff Goldman at Tobacco Road, CRUSHING Brad Miller at Prairie Dunes, CRUSHING Jeff Silverman at Riviera, CRUSHING Noel Freeman at Cuscowilla, CRUSHING Ben ‘Cowering’ Dewar at Casa de Campo, CRUSHING Pat Mucci twice (I repeat twice as in a DOUBLE CRUSHING) at Sand Hills in a prime example of a great course producing a great champion. The list goes on and on.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 01:57:53 PM »
My only experience playing against Ran was in a fourball match at his home club in North Carolina.  Funny, that 1 down loss isn't included in the list of CRUSHINGS.  ;)  (I had a very good partner as I recall the match).

Lou_Duran

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 03:00:02 PM »
Another of life's irrefutable truths, to varying degrees, we all have selective, convenient perceptions and memories. 

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 03:16:44 PM »

Reading Ran's interview should be a prerequisite before one is allowed to post on this site.

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

JNC Lyon

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 03:36:37 PM »
The Feature Interview section might be favorite aspect of this site.  Many of them seem to unlock ideas about architecture that aren't gained from playing courses or reading reviews.  A few of my favorites include:

Geoff Shackleford
Ron Whitten
Mike Strantz
Ran Morrissett
Mike Nuzzo No. 1

"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 07:56:43 PM »
I prefer the earlier ones - particularly with architects - because I enjoyed the window into their influences. I find I get a lot from reading about what they like and what has caught there eye. It helps open me up to new ideas and new places to draw upon.

It's been a while since a feature interview has caused me to travel because I have to see something. Whereas, I'll see Maidstone before the end of next week!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 07:58:47 PM »
I prefer the earlier ones - particularly with architects - because I enjoyed the window into their influences. I find I get a lot from reading about what they like and what has caught there eye. It helps open me up to new ideas and new places to draw upon.

It's been a while since a feature interview has caused me to travel because I have to see something. Whereas, I'll see Maidstone before the end of next week!

Can you say "cold and windy?"

Ian Andrew

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 08:02:04 PM »
Bill,

I have skates and a puck.....

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 11:11:30 PM »
The 2nd Sandy Tatum interview will be posted in the next day or so. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 09:19:45 AM »
Bill,

I have skates and a puck.....

You're in trouble if the puck is 4-1/4" or bigger!  Have fun, I would love to play Maidstone some day.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 04:55:40 PM »
Thank you JNC.
Re reading it doesn't seem too foreign either.
I would have to re-think the Black Mesa vs. Casa match though.

"The new business side is a challenge."  This was sure an understatement back then.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 05:20:30 PM »
I have always enjoyed interviews where the level of complexity and insight expressed by the interviewee has played to my own intellect and experience as an armchair architect.  While sometimes being befuddled by the superior line of thinking that goes into such complex questions by the interviewer, I appreciate those cogent and well thought out answers of the great subjects in the hot seat.  Thus, the Pete Dye interview is the one I feel I am most well suited to read, over and over.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back