News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Norwood Hills - Master Plan
« on: October 29, 2008, 08:26:21 AM »
http://michaelrileydesign.net/norwoodhills/plan.html

Norwood Hills is a 36 hole private club in St. Louis with a wonderful history and reputation for an excellent playing membership.  The above is a master plan to enhance the championship caliber West Course.  Please note that the East Course remains historically accurate and challenging at 6,000 yds.  I have no idea of scheduling or financing for the project and am interested in any comments anyone may have.  The only thing I know about Riley is that he did the work at Cupit's Atlanta club.

Existing West Course layout: http://www.norwoodhills.com/Home.aspx?ContentID=172
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:30:51 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Norwood Hills - Master Plan
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 09:38:14 AM »
What sort of comments are you interested in, John?

For someone who doesn't know the course, the designer or the history (i.e. me), it is interesting to compare the two plans to see why he might have made certain changes.... Even though this is difficult without more detailed and accurate information

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 09:58:34 AM »
I am curious if anyone has been a member of a club where such massive work has taken place, the cost and the time it would take to construct.  Maybe this can even be done a hole, a bunker or a green at a time.  The changes to number three are amazing as with 14 and 17.  I would fully support the entire plan as presented based on a zero cost to me as a non-resident member.

I have never discussed this plan with any member or employee of the club and have no more information than contained on the link in either the form of rumor or fact.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 10:25:48 AM »
Just out of interest John... Does the West side of the course play a little bit busy / unsafe?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 10:40:20 AM »
Just out of interest John... Does the West side of the course play a little bit busy / unsafe?

No, not at all.  I wish I had a chance to visit the club more often because it is the best run golfing facility from top to bottom I have ever seen.  700 golfing members, no tee times and rounds always on pace.  The tree management program, with some help from nature of late, is much better than indicated on the very poor pictures.  I can not think of one unsafe area on the West Course given the few blind shots.  The East Course can be a different matter with many, many blind shots that are easily controlled through both great management and membership.  I do not believe a single change on the master plan is a result of safety issues.  I will say that the lengthening and increased difficulty of the proposed course will slow play down considerably.  That is a fair tradeoff given a huge selling point of the club is that it is where the best players come to join.

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 11:11:57 AM »
I am told it will be done over 5 years and be funded by operating revenues (i.e. no assessments).

Steve Pozaric

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 11:47:47 AM »
I can vouch for Mike Riley's work at Chris Cupit's Rivermont being excellent, although supposedly Chris had quite a bit of input/suggestions into the work there.  I'm sure Mike can handle things w/o him. 

Chris Cupit

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 01:46:55 PM »
I can vouch for Mike Riley's work at Chris Cupit's Rivermont being excellent, although supposedly Chris had quite a bit of input/suggestions into the work there.  I'm sure Mike can handle things w/o him. 

That poser Riley has been riding my coat tails for years now.  I just needed someone to draw the pics for my member presentation--that's all.  Believe me, all the good ideas were mine--I let him tag along and buy me lunch every now and then ;D

Chris Cupit

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 10:34:13 PM »
JK,

Mike's work at Rivermont involved:

1.  Entire new irrigation system installed
2.  All eighteen greens, nursery and practice putting green completely re-built from scratch.  I did opt to have what I guess some would call "USGA" greens built (with the exception of the punchbowl green) and we also added the valves for the sub-air system which we used in 2007. 
3.  95% of all my tees were re-built--diamond zoysia tees that are absolutely awesome
4.  Green locations on holes 1,2,3,5,11,13,17 all moved substantially
5.  New hole re-routed on #5
6.  All bunkers re-built, some removed, others added.  Just by chance prior to the renovation we had 74 bunkers and we now have 72.
7.  85% of cart paths re-done

We started March 1, 2006 and the front nine opened for play on November 15, 2006 and the entire 18 opened on December 15th.  Golfers could play at least nine holes up until about the first of June.

We had great construction weather (a drought) and Mike coordinated the construction company, the irrigation company and all the other subs (bridge builders, asphalt pavers, concrete curbers, road borers) flawlessly  with a little help from yours truly. :D

We finished on time and about $20,000.00 UNDER budget.   The course recently hosted the state match play championship (The Atlanta Amateur) and we received rave reviews from the players.  Just as important my seniors and ladies also love the course and find it very playable.  The greens are definitely tough but every hole except one allows for run up shots and options as to how to approach the hole, the fairways are generous and from the correct tee every hole is challenging but fun.  Mike hit a home run.

I'm not sure the scope of the work but if Mike does any greens shaping he really can create a memorable course for you.  #2 looks really cool--almost quarry like, "Merionesque" I guess.  Obviously I like Mike's work and I think his bunker work is pretty dramatic as well.

Mike also re-did The Standard Club which hosts US Am qualifiers a lot (you mentioned Norwood has lots of good players), he re-did the greens at Atlanta Country Club and two original designs around Atlanta are Crooked Creek and Governors Towne Club both of which are well liked and considered very good especially among the "better" players.

Lastly, I think you mentioned doing some work piecemeal and all I can say is I'm glad we bit the bullet and did everything at once.  That may not be possible but a hole here or there just seems to drag on forever--go ahead if you can and do the work and get back to enjoying the course!  Good luck.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back