News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

With new course construction coming to a halt, will the coming times/era be the one that sees architects alter/redesign courses at an alarming rate ?

PThomas

Re: Will the economic pressures drive architects to alter courses ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 09:37:18 AM »
Patrick, i'm guessing you mean altering existing courses...

...or did you mean altering the way the design NEW courses, which could be built on smaller acreage, designing fewer bunkers, require less maintenance, etc., in the hopes of saving money ..
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

JNC Lyon

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 10:05:26 AM »
Ultimately, this seems less likely.  I would guess that a club would be less prone to put up extra money for renovations in hard economic times than otherwise.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 10:31:59 AM »
Pat: Our superintendent recommended that we regrass our fairways using Bermuda grass and this is being done in a major renovation at a nearby course.  The reason for the change is economic as maintnence costs are significantly lower using Bermuda.  The problem I see with Bermuda is similar to what I have seen with Zoysia in our area - if we have a wet month when it is dormant the water is not absorbed. 

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 02:21:11 PM »
With less money there will be less architecture. Its highly unlikely that new courses will be constructed although some may be planned in this current western climate.
Most golf clubs will be considering cost cutting measures rather than spending on anything other than essentials and I think new spend on architectureal improvement will also get no-no'ed.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 07:08:01 PM »
Patrick,
I'm guessing a  look at the early 80's or early 70's could provide the answer.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 06:11:07 AM »
The most likely driver of changes in architecture in the UK would appear to be to remove dangerous holes: ie those that play alongside a major road, those crossing public roads or footpaths etc. One of these days someone will slice a ball OOB into someone's car windscreen, there will be a fatal crash and the lawyers will have a field day.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 09:57:24 PM »
The focus of this thread is on existing courses and the quest for members in difficult times.

Will that quest encourage clubs to alter their course to make it more "appealing" to their target market ?

Will that in turn lead to the alteration/destruction of some, or all of the architecture ?

Will courses undertake facelifts in order to be more appealing ?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 10:35:24 PM »
Patrick,

Absolutely.  New and Improved Tide sells a lot better than "restored Tide."

All gca's do a percentage of their work in renovations, and that % will go up.  Interesting that your title says will the gca's do it, but your last post says "will courses undertake facelifts".  Of course, its the latter, as you often point out.

There will be pressure to do laser surgery type projects rather than complete blow outs, just to keep costs low.  Changes will be targeted to things thought to improve the course.  Things golfers really don't notice won't be done.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back