News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Merion will appear next month.From 1984 in Golf Digest:

Cypress Point, Merion and Seminole prove that a course can be fun for the average player and still challenge the pros and the scratch amateurs

www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2008/10/herbertwind1980?printable=true
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matt_Ward

Re: Herbert Warren Wind discusses Cypress Point, Merion and Seminole
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 10:35:41 AM »
Steve:

Good inclusion.

I read the series when Wind first had them appear in Digest.

You should check out a few of the other course profiles that were done in Digest from years gone back -- the one by the late Cal Brown on Pine Valley is a classic.

Unfortunately, too much of what Digest does now is far from that level of writing and attention to courses -- save for the most recent issue which tries to highlight some of the course dynamics that were a regular mention in past issues years ago.

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 11:56:26 AM »
i still have that article somewhere

they also did a 2part article by HWW on Pete Dye back then, and an article or 2 by Herb on the Masters....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Chuck Brown

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 12:04:21 PM »
Classic writing on some classic courses.

One thing I always wondered about Herb Wind was what kind of player he was.  Comparisons between him and Bernard Darwin are frequent and understandable; the two great golf writers of the 20th Century, much as Jones and Nicklaus were the two great players of the century.  But Darwin was a fine, elite-class player in his youth.  Did Wind play much?

Also, I wonder if ANGC ever did anything special for Wind, after all that his writing had done for the club.  To the best of my knowledge, he was never given a membership, but I got the impression that he was very much of a favored guest there over the years.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 12:46:03 PM by Chuck Brown »

KBanks

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 12:36:52 PM »
Chuck,

Wind was a creditable player, good enough to qualify for the 1950 British Amateur. I believe he may have played for Cambridge while doing graduate work there.

To my knowledge, he was not accorded membership at ANGC. The press tent at Augusta was dedicated in his memory, in acknowledgement of his special relationship with the club. I'm not certain, but this may have happened this past spring, on the fiftieth anniversary of Wind's coining the name of Amen Corner.

Ken

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 01:50:28 PM »
Dr. Klein reports a classic experience caddying for HWW at the old course. I think it's in "Rough Meditations" but could've been a stand alone article.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 02:01:35 PM »
Dr. Klein reports a classic experience caddying for HWW at the old course. I think it's in "Rough Meditations" but could've been a stand alone article.

Adam, i could be wrong but i don't think that was in Rough Meditations....

i 've never seen that article but would love to!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 02:42:13 PM »
I saw this on the Golf Observer editor's picks list today.  Nice catch Steve, thanks for posting.

I like this line:

"Today when the golf ball can be hit huge distances - perhaps too far..."
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 02:44:15 PM by Jay Flemma »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 04:20:34 PM »
I am curious about HWW's mention of the financial details of CP and Seminole. I wonder if he mentions the same next month about Merion.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dave Maberry

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 06:49:38 PM »
Is this article only available online or reprinted in recent Golf Digest?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 10:02:09 PM »
You're mistaken...it wasn't Herbert Warren Wind for whom Rabbi/Reverebnd/Doctor Brad Klein caddied; it was Pat Ward-Thomas.  It is freaking funny, but not Herb.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

BCrosby

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 10:16:28 PM »
Speaking of great golf writers, Pat Ward-Thomas ranks near the top. He is largely - and unjustifiably - forgotten today. He was a much more lively writer than either Darwin or HWW.  On the other hand, he didn't have their knack for ruminating on the page.

PW-T's pieces on his first visit to the famous Irish courses in the 1950's (?) are really remarkable.

Bob

JNC Lyon

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 10:47:32 PM »
Herbert Warren Wind is THE golf writer, bar none.  I certainly enjoy and appreciate Darwin a lot, but I feel like I learned most of what I know about golf and golf history from Herbert Warren Wind in "Following Through" and "The Story of American Golf."
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

ChipOat

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 10:55:33 AM »
KBanks,

Yes, Herb got his "blue" while reading at Cambridge and he was a member of the O&CGS.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 11:57:33 AM »
Am I losing my mind or is that NOT the 10th hole at Seminole as the caption in the article states.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

KBanks

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 12:32:22 PM »
Good catch Dan. It's a picture of the sixth at Seminole.

Ken

Dan Boerger

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 01:06:17 PM »
Ken - I've only played Seminole once, but I recall that hole. Helluva par 4 and those bunkers fronting the green are a great visual hazard on your approach.  - Dan
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back