News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philippe Binette

Forgetting Payne Stewart
« on: October 26, 2008, 02:01:38 PM »
Not that I want to sound nostalgic... but

9 years ago yesterday Payne Stewart passed away and I'm kind of dissapointed that nobody mentionned that on golf websites...

I made a special effort to go out on the course early yesterday to play a round.

Hope I was not alone

Ron Farris

Re: Forgetting Payne Stewart
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 03:25:57 PM »
Philippe,
It was in NE South Dakota where the plane came down.
I have worked in the area and I often reflect on that tragic day, especially while in the area.

His spirit lives on!

CJ Carder

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 06:22:17 PM »
I played the River Course at Kingsmill today... the course where I first saw Payne Stewart play back in the early 90s.... on the 10th hole, after driving it in the fairway bunker, he had no shot and pitched out to leave himself a wedge in.  With his 3rd shot, he promptly dunked his wedge for a birdie and walked over and handed the ball to a young fan.  I instantly became a fan and remember that gesture every single time I play the course.

We miss you Payne.

Tim Copeland

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 07:57:30 PM »

These were put up at Isleworth ,along with all the other Major Championshipo winners, for a college tournament.....seeing his banners and knowing that he was all over the property at one time and hearing the stories from Pro shop staff, cart guys, tennis staff was pretty cool
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 08:23:33 PM »
I know many people think he was a great person, but I don't.

For every "great" story about Payne, there is a "not so great" one as well.
H.P.S.

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 08:28:31 PM »
Without intending to be mean, I don't give him a thought.  It was a tragic way to die, but there are so many other tragedies equal to or greater than his.  I feel bad for his family and friends, but no more so than anyone else that loses a loved one.  He was not special because he was a great golfer.  He was not special to me at all.  He has loving friends and family to remember and regard him.  That has nothing at all to do with me.

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 10:31:28 PM »
Wow - nine years --- it does not seem that long ago. For me it was a "where were you when..." moment - GCentral story of course.

Some posters do not consider him at all special yet post in this thread?

Tim Copeland

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 10:35:42 PM »
Wow - nine years --- it does not seem that long ago. For me it was a "where were you when..." moment - GCentral story of course.

Yep...speaks volumes about this site....and mankind.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 10:42:08 PM »

Yep...speaks volumes about this site....and mankind.

As a part of this site and mankind, I'm interested in your analysis........
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tim Copeland

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 10:47:26 PM »
If I need to analyze those comments you have more problems than the poster.

As mamma used to say...If you dont have anything nice to say.....STFU

David_Elvins

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 11:08:44 PM »
If I need to analyze those comments you have more problems than the poster.

Mama hadn't heard of the internet. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 11:20:07 PM »
The loss of Payne Stewart was a significant one for the game of golf, as well as for his own family and friends.  He was a fiery, unique character the likes of whom aren't likely to be seen again in the game.  I'd wager that he might well have gotten into GCA at some point, were he still with us.

I was in the kitchen at home when my dad came home from work and somberl reported that he'd heard it on the radio.  I was 10 and I was very distraught, having seen his performance in that unbelievable US Open only a few months earlier.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 11:58:13 PM »
In case you forgot or were unaware - Bruce Borland of Nicklaus's design office was also onboard.  He was a real gentleman and left behind a young family.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 02:37:41 AM »

If we were giving eulogies, perhaps I could agree with you.  But this is a discussion group.  Follow your rule and this forum, like those old soldiers, fades away. 

I've read several times, in several places, that Payne was a jerk.  Interested to learn the truth about him. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 05:26:49 AM »
2 points...how far the internet has come.  The school where I work had one dial-up connection coming in split into three desktop terminals.  We thought it was a fast connection at the time.  That was how we learned about Payne Stewart.

Youngish is always a terrible way to die, so our culture of adoration of the youthful tells us.  Payne's father was not the least abrasive guy in the world, according to written reports.  Payne's youthful brashness (some might label it differently) was a direct result of his father's personality and influence.  As Payne married, began to raise a family, began to establish himself on tour, he grew up as many, self-centered divas do.  It seems that the tour humbles some that way.  He was never Saint Payne, even at this later stage in life, and would probably chuckle at those who characterize him as such.

I believe that the memory of the extended death (following the trace of the plain, the somber memorial of the piper easing into the mist, the golfers months later driving balls in the Pacific at Pebble) is what extracts these emotions from us; neither Payne nor his memory passed quickly.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 08:57:12 AM »
Not that I want to sound nostalgic... but

9 years ago yesterday Payne Stewart passed away and I'm kind of dissapointed that nobody mentionned that on golf websites...

I made a special effort to go out on the course early yesterday to play a round.

Hope I was not alone

That is amazing because I also played golf that morning in tribute to Payne Stewart who died 9 years ago, then went and played poker out of respect for Stu Ungar who died 20 years ago this November and stopped on the way home at Wendy's paying homage to Dave Thomas who died 7 years ago this January.  I am a tribute whore.

wsmorrison

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 09:53:43 AM »
John,

That was funny.

Yes, Don.  Why?  Because some perspective is in order.  John did it his way and I provided it my way.  I deemed it worthwhile to do so.  There were others on that same flight as Payne Stewart, yet because he was a golf champion, he is the one singled out to be remembered?  Why? 

Every soldier that has died since then merit our thoughts more so than Payne Stewart.  They sacrificed themselves for a greater good, whether justified or not. 

I remember where I was when JFK died and when man first landed on the moon.  I have no idea where I was or what I was doing when Payne Stewart died.  Again, I'm not trying to be mean, but the perspective of this has gotten a bit weird on this site.  Then again, this site has its own weirdness.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2019, 02:51:23 AM »

archie_struthers

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2019, 06:45:54 AM »
 8)

Jaka , Dave Thomas as the third in the triumvirate, now that's beautiful 8)

John Emerson

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2019, 02:36:55 PM »
Without intending to be mean, I don't give him a thought.  It was a tragic way to die, but there are so many other tragedies equal to or greater than his.  I feel bad for his family and friends, but no more so than anyone else that loses a loved one.  He was not special because he was a great golfer.  He was not special to me at all.  He has loving friends and family to remember and regard him.  That has nothing at all to do with me.

Honestly, I feel the same way.  I don’t even think about him.  Why he’s is so memorialized is beyond me.  What exactly did he do to garner so much admiration?  I’ve heard/read some pretty shitty stories about the guy.  More bad stories than good actually.   I feel awful for his friends and family though.  I just don’t understand the infatuation with him.  Am I missing something here?
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2019, 03:41:36 PM »
John,

You are missing that wonderful ability to dream where your own life might have gone had you made different choices. Payne chose to be Payne and I doubt that he would have changed a thing. Thurman Munson, John Lennon, JFK Jr. and Sr. are all people who through tragic early endings make our mundane lives worthy of celebration. That's why we memorialize people like Payne for getting on that plane and taking one for the team.

Jim Moeller

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2019, 03:45:23 PM »
I think his passing is memorialized so much because his was a story of redemption having started but not really finishing. From what I've read, he wasn't the nicest guy for much of his career. But he really turned a corner and for the final couple years, people really started to like him. Combine that with both the Pinehurst and Brookline wins happening within the prior 4 months, and you have a perfect example of a life that was in its prime and cut short. People never really got to experience the full redemption.

David_Elvins

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2019, 04:48:09 PM »
This is a pretty good recent interview with Kevin Robbins about his new Payne Stewart book. 

https://player.fm/series/trapdraw-podcast-no-laying-up/episode-42-kevin-robbins
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2019, 05:56:42 PM »
Payne's death happened just a month or two after I started dating my wife, who picked up on the fact that there was also a golf course architect (Bruce Borland) on the plane.  She has ever since been worried sick anytime a client wanted to pick me up in their jet.

John mentioned Thurman Munson's death - that was 40 years ago this summer, and had a much more profound effect on the 18-year-old me, as that was the first time that someone I knew was suddenly gone.

John Emerson

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2019, 06:57:26 PM »
John,

You are missing that wonderful ability to dream where your own life might have gone had you made different choices. Payne chose to be Payne and I doubt that he would have changed a thing. Thurman Munson, John Lennon, JFK Jr. and Sr. are all people who through tragic early endings make our mundane lives worthy of celebration. That's why we memorialize people like Payne for getting on that plane and taking one for the team.

While I understand your first sentence I absolutely cannot accept that he’s anywhere in the same vicinity of importance as Lennon, JFK etc.  Someone above mentioned random US soldiers deaths as more important deaths and I agree.   Those people impacted humanity, and impacted the world.  Payne was an above average professional golfer with a tragic death.  There’s zero comparisons.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back