News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Neal Meagher Feature Article
« on: October 22, 2008, 09:29:07 PM »
There is a very nice feature article on GCA's own Neal Meagher in the Fall issue of NCGA Golf, which arrived in my mail box today. The article talks about Neal's business as well as the business of GCA in general.

At some point, I hope the article will be available on the NCGA's website (www.ncga.org), but it does not appear to be there yet.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re: Neal Meagher Feature Article
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 09:53:06 PM »
Neal is one of the good guys on this site. He is both talented and passionate about his work.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 10:41:48 PM »
One of my first GCA.com experiences was playing with Neal, Gib, and Jeff Stettner at what used to be San Mateo Muni and is now ??  Gib had been involved in the good renovation work.  After we played, we hung out in the clubhouse for a couple of hours talking about golf holes, and Neal drew a beautiful design on a paper place mat.  He has a very artistic drawing style.

Some day that will be a collector's item, but Gib must have made off with it!  ;D

It was also rather memorable because our waitress saw us talking about golf design, told us she had just left a job at the Valley Club in Santa Barbara, and went out to her car and brought in her copy of the club's history book.  Sort of like the pizza guy!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 10:14:37 AM »
Bill - that's Poplar Creek now.  Good fun for sure.

And I almost spit out my coffee when I saw this in the NCGA mag - yup there's smilin' Neal - picture and all.

A nicer guy you will never meet.  One of golf's good guys for sure.

Interesting article also... some interesting worry about golf's future.

TH

JohnV

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 01:37:50 PM »
The Fall issue of the magazine will be available online in a couple of weeks so others can read it.

You'll be able to find it by going to http://www.ncga.org and clicking on the NCGA Golf link in the green box on the right of the screen.  Right now you'll be able to see the Summer issue.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 01:58:01 PM »

Not to pile on, but Neal is a good guy.  He was at the first KP and was a very gracious host at Maderas golf club, answering our questions about the course, including the horrible 8th hole. :)

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 02:31:43 PM »

Not to pile on, but Neal is a good guy.  He was at the first KP and was a very gracious host at Maderas golf club, answering our questions about the course, including the horrible 8th hole. :)

Craig,

I think the first KP was the glue that cemented an incredible camararderie amongst the contributors to GCA.  Pete Lavallee's hospitality had much to do with it .

Bob

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 02:54:17 PM »
If I knew that Neal was such a big shot I would have listened more carefully when he was explaining why "eye candy" is "strategic" over dinner the other night. :'(

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 03:27:16 PM »

Bob,

I agree that was a great time and that Pete sure does know how to throw a party.  I remember somebody running the video camera that night, but I can't remember who and never heard if anybody got blackmailed from it. :)

JohnV

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 04:57:17 PM »
The NCGA Magazine article on Neal Meagher is now online at:

NCGA Magazine

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 05:17:59 PM »
That scribe, Jay Stuller must be Gib's understudy.  It sure reads like Gib...  ;) :D ;D

But, the article is bang on, and a fitting tribute to a fine fellow that is Neal Meagher.  I also enjoyed meeting him and having plenty of fun at that first KP thanks to Pete and the all-star attendees.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 05:50:30 PM »
For those interested, I have partnered with Neal to sell a single autographed copy on e-bay. I am confident that an autographed version in plastic (don't ask me how) is worth in excess of $1,499.

Greg Holland

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 11:07:54 AM »
Where is Ancient Oaks Farm -- the routing drawn on the opening pages of the article?  The concept for holes 14 and 16 looks very interesting to me. 

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 12:16:20 PM »
Thanks for all the very generous words from many of you.  If nothing else, this web site has shown over and over how the game of golf has the capacity to bring people together from far and wide.  In this case, as passionate afficionados of golf design.

And to answer Greg Holland's question about the location of the plan showing Ancient Oak Farms, it is a proposed project in Gloucester County, New Jersey.  It is located between the Kings Hwy, E. Wolfert Station Rd, and the N.J. Turnpike.  It is a beautifully rolling piece of land, the kind that all of you in New Jersey and Pennsylvania are so spoiled to have; alas, the developer may have missed his window of opportunity with this development that would have featured a fun as hell 5,800 yard par 68 layout.

The 14th/16th combo area would be indicative of our concept of bundling the holes ala the Old Course as the existing meadow topography suggests that.  Also, the executive length more easily allows for that sort of unique approach in my opinion.  I think that most golfers drop their pre-conceived notions of what a "championship" course is when they go to play this sort of course.  I hope that this course does comes to fruition someday.

Again, I appreciate greatly all of your comments.

The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 07:42:57 PM »
Neal, I enjoyed looking at your website, and recognize that sketching style from a long time ago!

Just wondering why Sonoma GC isn't included in your list of credits.  I haven't played there since your work - it rained cats and dogs the only time I had a game lined up there - but I've heard good things.

Regards,
Bill

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back