News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Weston Golf Club, Weston, MA
« on: October 21, 2008, 03:06:49 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with Weston Golf Club just outside of Boston?

I had the opportunity to play here this past weekend and was greatly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Some of the holes are just fantastic including the three hole stretch of holes 6-8.  The sixth is a 470 dogleg right long par-4 / par-5, the 7th with the cool blind tee shot, and 8th with a blind uphill shot at the green.

www.westongolfclub.com
H.P.S.

Rich Goodale

Re: Weston Golf Club, Weston, MA
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 05:12:24 PM »
Hi Pat

I've played Weston 10-15 times and have never rated it that highly.  The first time I played it I thought that the feng shui was all wrong, and it wasn't until I got into the clubhouse and saw the old Ross routing (before Cornish screwed it up to build the driving range) that I understood why.  The new holes out by the lakeare completely out of character and the ones they replaced (an old 7th and 10th) were seriously funky.

Every time I play the course (last time about a year ago) I find it hard to think of a hole I am looking forward to playing.  1 is a strong opener, but lacking in charm.  14 and 18 are cool, but they come to late in the round.

What turned you on about the course?

Rich

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 05:26:15 PM »
Rich-

Perhaps it has to do with my Chicago ties to flat uninteresting land, but I thought some of the blind shots and green complexes were very neat. The green complex on #8, the short uphill par 4, was very well done with danger left and right, as well as a blind shot.

The tee shot on #6 over the hill was fantastic as a par-4. I think it would be a so-so par-5 though.

The par-3's were fairly ho-hum, the downhill 3rd was ok, #10 was probably my favorite one shoter.

#2 was another boring hole until the green contour which was very neat sloping hard from left to right.
H.P.S.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 06:24:18 PM »
Gotcha, Pat and generally agree

I find 6 too goofy, but that's maybe because I've never hit a good enough tee shot there to know what the seocnd shot looks like from position A.

I'm not a real fan of hugely uphill holes, but there is a really keen feature on #8, an NLE slit trench bunker behind the green.  Not sure when then 86ed that feature, but it would have made an OK hole pretty good.

Agree on the par 3s and on #2.  The green is tough, but it is such a slog to get there that you are too tired to notice or care.

Slainte

Rich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back