News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Scotland Wins!
« on: October 19, 2008, 07:06:07 PM »
What a day for the Scots Sundat was.

Andy Murray follows on from beating Federer to win in Madrid (yes, Tennis, I know).

And ....

Scotland wins the Eisenhower Trophy in Adelaide, by about 10 shots at Royal Adelaide.  It was a beautiful windy day yesterday, with dry and firm greens.  Ball and flight control was at a premium, especially on approach shots.

I can hear Martin Bonnar saying 'yippee' already.  I was surprised to see the Scots wearing red shirts.  Perhaps it was so the opposition couldn't see if they were bleeding.  No, no, that was the english - and it didn't work too well in the Boer War.  Still, the colour suited the ruddy complexion of some of the Scottish team.

USA was second (and won the individual) and Sverige (Sweden) third.

The young amateurs hit the ball a very, very long way.  Their play with the longer clubs (woods and hybrids) was outstanding.  However, many of them have something to learn about irons and wedges in strong winds (as do I).

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Marty Bonnar

Re: Scotland Wins!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 07:19:23 PM »
'yippee'

;)

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 07:42:41 PM »
Who was on the Scots team?

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 07:47:39 PM »
FBD, Old Tom and Melvyn

although Old Tom's scores didn't count due to the superlative golf of the other two Scots........

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
The winning team was Callum Macaulay, Gavin Dear & Wallace Booth. Congratulations to them!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 09:03:29 PM »
Thanks Neil

I have already made plans for my own Memorial to go in beside Young Tom’s in the cathedral ruins at St Andrews, on the basis of your comments.

Old Tom apologies for his performance stating he was there more in spirit that in person.

FBD last seen in orbit after the match, but these days is seldom found with both feet on the ground - the Doc has advised numerous times about his self delusions, apparently something to do with believing he plays golf when in reality it’s just crazy golf and likes to be called Roger ‘James Bond’ Moore, the Emperor of France – he is also slightly confused, bless him.

Still he’s there when it matters.

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 01:07:20 AM »
Congrats to the Scots

Very wise team management.

They had their whole squad spend 2 1/2 weeks playing golf in Adelaide and Melbourne around the Australian Amateur earlier this year to become accustomed to the conditions.

It clearly worked.

And a group of very good fellas to top it off.

:)

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 08:06:43 AM »
And you deserve that spot next to OTM for sure Melvyn - not sure about FBD though - a pauper's grave for him I expect!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 06:45:10 PM »
And you deserve that spot next to OTM for sure Melvyn - not sure about FBD though - a pauper's grave for him I expect!

Why, I resemble that remark!

Actually, my ashes scattered on a certain Monterey Peninsula course would be quite nice. (There's no way any consecrated ground would stand for having my heathen bulk interred therein).

I may even invoke my Buddhist clause and come back as a leatherjacket or a nematode... ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 05:58:54 AM »
FBD
We could blend your ashes in with some top dressing sand and that way one of the greens could grow through you. Nice!

James Bennett

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 05:23:28 PM »
Neil (and FBD)

I was thinking that Martin should be buried in a green, rather than be cremated.  Kind of like a half-hogs-back green (not an elephant's graveyard).  Perhaps alongside Martin's favourite Hollywood starlet.  It would certainly be an interesting, undulating green.

best guys  ;)

James B

PS  I watched Callum Macauley play.  He understood the ground game the best of his three, easily.  Also controlled his ball the best when the wind was against.  In stature, think of Woosnam.  An ideal golfer's build for a windy day.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back