News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Re: Dunn, Thomas Jr and Mackenzie at Pismo Beach
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 08:13:20 AM »
Sean,

I have an article somewhere or perhaps it was a letter in the USGA Green Section files where Behr was incensed that Thomas got a CA commission after he thought it was his.  Behr mentioned that Thomas doing the job for free was a factor.  I'll try to find it for you and post it here.

Wayne, I think the job you're referring to was Redhill CC in Riverside, CA. Before the project began, Behr was being promoted as the architect that would be doing it. Of course, GT was the one who did the original 9 w/ Bell completing it later. I always wondered what happened and why Behr lost the job.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Lynn_Shackelford

Re: Dunn, Thomas Jr and Mackenzie at Pismo Beach
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 11:31:11 AM »
Due to the street's name I have to assume that Scott's location is correct.  It is certainly Pebble Beach like in setting.  Also among the locals it has one of the best locations weather wise.  They claim there is less fog there then anywhere along that coast.  I have no doubt that fishing was going to be a big component and that no doubt grabbed the Captain's interest.  It looks like a nice cove for anchoring.
But if you scroll down that google map, south of Pismo and the pier, you will come to the biggest dune buggie spot on the California coast.  Look at that as a possible site for golf.  It is THE BEST SITE for golf on the coast of California.  I wonder if they had to ponder the possibilities there?
Thomas was too classy to discuss Mackenzie, but it must have been an "interesting" relationship.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back