News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Kiser

Monarch Dunes - The Challenge Short Course
« on: October 19, 2008, 02:41:32 AM »
Getting your session to drop after doing all this loading sure blows...

Take two on this.

So what do you do when the full course is tied up in some tournament and you're got a few hours on your hands?  Well of course you play the Challenge short course.

I got a chance to do just that at Monarch Dunes last week in some pretty brutal conditions.  It definitely earned its Challenge name that day.  Santa Ana winds were up and this little course showed some teeth.

I thought it was a refreshing 12 holes and good test of the short game in general but especially the putting.  Some wild greens.  I guess some might feel the greens could be considered Mikey Mouse (like the 12th that has a monster 2-3 drop from the top right plateau tier to the bottom left), but I had a fun time giving the putter a workout. 

Lots of eye candy on this "dunesy" layout with the many fescued mounds, but worth a go.

Very good green conditons.  Very afforbable as well.

Enjoy.

P.S.  Tom, hows' that little 9 hole short course coming along in Napa?

1st - 165 yards:  Innocent enough from the tee, but don't go right or short.  Tough up and down awaits from well below the hole.  The green has some "wake up" call movement going on and signals what's ahead.  I wish more courses had divot repair on the tee boxes like here at Monarch Dunes.

2nd - 171 yards:  The green looks huge from the tee and most of the holes are pretty wide open like this.  So rather forgiving I'd say.  Add the wind though and things get tricky fast.  Many of the greens had a three tier theme going on with one of the tiers being a plateau green.

3rd - 82 yards:  LW hole here, but the sucker pin to the lower left forced a right plateau shot.  Then it's a roller coaster of a putt.  Good luck on this day...

Check out the movement from the right plateau green that starts from the right of the picture.

4th - 152 yards:  Another sucker pin placement here to the lower left.  With that lower left bunker looming, I went right.  But I got on that upper tier and it was a real mess going downhill from there for that first putt.  That left bunker might have actually been the best place to be...  Bottom line is getting on the green was no assurance of a two putt.  The greens are so big, you can easily three putt if your tee shot wasn't close enough.

5th - 242 yards:  This thing was just shy of 250 and downhill but with a 4-5 clubwind going ... I took out driver and tried a punch shot.  I somehow got on for a birdie.  The two fellas I played with got wet.  In retrospect, this hole appears unforgiving, but there's plenty of bail out to the left.  That would have been the sensible play that day.  I think the wind was going to my head.

H2O bad...

6th - 158 yards:  Mass grande bunker here to the left.  I wasn't quite sure what to make of this big bunker.  In the end, it became a distraction and maybe that's the idea because ... the short front side green bunker appears tight to the green but it's not.  MacKenzie camouflage inspiration going on?  You decide...  This green was probably the easier of the lot.  Flattish when compared to the others I felt.  However, if you landed well left of the green ... it was a monster putt across the green to the pin.

Can you say huge?

Not so front side green bunker...

7th - 152 yards:  This one reminded me of the second from the tee.  However, I think the green is even bigger and deeper to the back left.  Go anywhere but on the green and it's likely to hit one of those mounds or the bunkers.  I totally misjudged the wind and took out 7i.  Got stuck in the back left and ... 3 putted.  Check out the drop from the upper to the lower.

Big right green side bunker

Contours?  You can't handle contours...

8th - 137 yards:  Gee I was hoping for a left Cape hole here, but we get the ho hum diagonal cross hazard carry.  On this day, I had my hands full.  I smacked a flushed 7i and I barely got on.  One of the fellas hit a knockdown and it didn't hold the green.  Dicey hole today.

9th - 133 yards:  Why why why do we keep seeing this same old RTJ kind of par 3?  I wish more had been done here.  Anyway, the green was plenty to deal with.

10th - 163 yards:  Not too much to report here except you better get on.  Normally a solid 7i for me, but went with a soft 5i.  Anywhere off is a tough lie and deep rough.  The front bunker is actually not a bad place to be.

11th - 101 yards:  Normally an LW/SW hole like on the 3rd, but had to go with my 9i.  Don't land short here.  That left hand bunker was not easy to get out of.  One of the fellas was faced with a downhill lie in packed sand and couldn't get his out to hold the green.

12th - 202 yards:  aka "The Bruiser".  At least that's what I'm calling it.  Uphill all the way.  Sort of pseudo blind Alps par 3 actually.  Trouble right and left, so I took out 3W into the wind.  Punched it short and just bumped her on.  The green however is just brutal from the upper right plateau to the lower left.  I'd say a good 2-3 foot drop.  I guess I was so mesmerized by it that I forgot to take a pic!  One of the fellas got his tee ball onto that right hand plateau and his first putt went bye bye off the green.  Pretty tough for such a good tee shot.  I heard a bunch of 4 letter words from the guy as he lost the match... 

Local wildlife:

Playground to a neighborhood that won't be coming anytime soon:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 03:45:31 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Richard Boult

Re: Monarch Dunes - The Challenge Short Course
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 11:40:40 PM »
Thanks Patrick!  Nice hole-by-hole tour to compliment my 1st look thread:

First Look at The 12-hole Challenge Course by Pascuzzo & Pate

I've really taken to this course... when I'm pinched for time, I head over to The Challenge course and play a quick 12 holes - usually takes me about 1 1/2 to 2 hours and feels like I got a full round in vs. playing 9 holes on the 18-hole course.  On days when I show up just to hit some balls on the range, inevitably, I find myself playing 12 before heading home.  The price is right too!  I love that 70-80 yard 3rd hole and the challenge of making par on 5 and 12.  I usually get around making a couple birdies to offset a few too many bogies... quite a challenge finishing 4 out of the last 5 holes dead into the wind.

Added to our photo tour directory at:

http://delicious.com/golfclubatlas/California

Ted Cahill

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 08:03:39 PM »
Was drivng home to the Bay Area from Los Angeles yesterday- decided I needed an 'emergency nine'.  Have read alot about this complex and was intrigued.  Driving thru the main gate and seeing the ongoing home construction and gaudy real estate promotional flags- I must admit my expectations were dampening.  Went into the modest pro shop (good) and laid down my 19 bucks walking rate (better) I schelped across the practice area and headed for the first tee.  Patrick has provided an acurate blow by blow of the course- I will just add, color me impressed!  As I made my way around the rustic dunes and wild greens, I was left with the distinct feeling that a sincere effort was made by the archies & developers.  In other words, this was not a "mail it in" effort.  The criticisms of the imposing housing and cart ball walks from greens to tees are fair.  However, I judge this in the context that it is a housing development course- and for a HD course- it rises above the typical indifferent design you usually find. Plus, I love the 12 hole layout- it was the first 12 holer I have played- I can see why they are becoming more popular.  On this day, the wind was blowing at a 1-2 club clip (good)- I don't know if this is typical, if so, another plus for this fun short course.  If you are the 'emergency nine', liberate your bag of woods and long irons, sling it over the shoulder and walk off in 1:45 type- this course is worth your inspection. 
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 01:21:42 AM »
To many ponds. To much real estate development will intrude. Too much uesless walking. A real waste IMO. I won't be back.

If you want to have a good time at Monarch Dunes, see if they will put you out on the back 9. The rest for the most part is a water wasteland.
Dare I say Rees did almost as good a job at Sandpines?

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 02:36:22 AM »
To many ponds. To much real estate development will intrude. Too much uesless walking. A real waste IMO. I won't be back.

If you want to have a good time at Monarch Dunes, see if they will put you out on the back 9. The rest for the most part is a water wasteland.
Dare I say Rees did almost as good a job at Sandpines?

I'll agree that water and long transitions between holes ruin the concept of The Challenge course, but I find it hard to accept criticism of "The Old Course" at Monarch Dunes (aside from the name) from a man so enamored with Dairy Creek. The use of water hazards (and impossibly slide-sloping fairways) at DC is appalling, IMHO. Did you really find Monarch Dunes was worse in this regard?

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39639.0.html

Respectfully, K
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back