News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Heron Point (pics)
« on: October 15, 2008, 03:15:15 PM »
If you've ever been to Sea Pines and played Sea Marsh, you won't be saddened to learn that it's no longer there (apologies to our good man Clyde Johnston  ;) ;D 8) ).  The Sea Pines folks hired Pete Dye to completely redo the course, using the existing routing, they stripped it down to its dead flat bottom and shaped it into a pretty remarkable new course, Heron Point, considering the room they had to work with was fairly cramped.  What a difference.  8 million dollars and Pete Dye can make a difference.  EDIT: And Tim Liddy too!

We all liked it. 

1 approach

1 green.  You won't find green contours like this at Harbour Town

4. A really attractive par 3

I briefly stepped on the back tees here, 239 yds.  All world tee shot from there.

The greens, being less than a yr old, were as hard as your driveway, but rolled very nice.

more locals

more pics on their website http://seapines.com/pop_ups/photo_golf1.cfm

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:39:27 PM by Eric Smith »

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Heron Point (pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 03:59:07 PM »
Eric,

I believe Tim Liddy was very involved with this redo, as Mr. Dye's associate, as well. (In fact, I had lunch with Tim at Hilton Head during one of his site visits a couple years ago!)
jeffmingay.com

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 04:07:36 PM »
I thought the 12th hole at Heron Point reminded me of the 1st at Long Cove.  It has been awhile since I last played LC.

Thanks Jeff, I'll have to ask Tim about the 12th.

Tim Liddy:
Does #12 share significant design characteristics with Long Cove #1? (though the water down the right doesn't run all the way to the greensite like at LC).

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 08:54:02 PM by Eric Smith »

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 06:47:35 AM »
Eric,
  Sort of. LCC has a lagoon and waste area running all the way from tee to green with nothing but grass located short and left of the green.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Mark_Fine

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 07:52:17 AM »
Eric,
The change is dramatic and I really enjoyed the golf course (anxious to play it again next time I'm down).  However, what surprised me the most is the level of challenge for a resort course.  I've played most everything on the Island as well as nearby and I think it might be the toughest test around.   I put it two shots tougher then Harbour Town Golf Links.  In talking with the management down there, that is apparently what they wanted - tough!
Mark

Clyde Johnston

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 02:57:27 PM »
Eric Smith:

No apologies needed. I only changed 3 greens back in 1990. The rest was repair work.

I haven't played it yet but will in a couple of weeks. Locally, I mostly hear good things about it  The occasional 'hate it' comment is in regard to the greens from poor players.

John Nixon

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 03:11:24 PM »
How close does an alligator have to be before you're allowed to move your ball?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back