News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

The Spirit of the Game
« on: October 15, 2008, 02:29:37 PM »

To my fellow connoisseurs of the game. Let me open a discussion on The Spirit of the Game.

How has it changed and stayed the same?

I find it to be subjective. Let me use one example. When I golf I love to wear plus 4s at times. At other times I prefer bright clothing much like Doug Sanders. But at my home course which is in a gated community with beautifully house lined fairways I frequently play with my shirt untucked. This would violate The Spirit of the Game at many other places.

Tobacco Road, Sawgrass, Kiawah, I felt I was in violation by grounding my club in the sand which was allowable by the course.

What is acceptable now that was not in the past?

Bill_McBride

Re: The Spirit of the Game
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 02:57:08 PM »
May I introduce you to Mr. Melvyn Morrow?  He has quite a list, and it is a good one in most ways.  There is a big difference between golf in the USA and golf in the UK, and a lot of it has to do with the spirit of the game.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 06:07:09 PM »
The Spirit of the Game in my opinion is how you approach golf. It is not all about winning at all costs, it’s about improving and taking on the challenge of the course. This is why our Architects are so important as they dictate the nature of our impending game. If their courses are fully balanced with the surrounding land and follows the contours then your eyes flow easily over the landscape allowing the golfer to relax. You will already start to feel at one with yourself and the encompassing nature because you are experience it at first hand. However good course like the Castle Course maybe or become it will never be able to offer this experience because it has no heart, its does not blend in, in short it will never convey an inward spirit that the golfer can embrace.

As for the golfer, it’s his ability to respond to the course and the challenge it presents, by relying only on his own co-ordination, planning and skill, will he obtain that which he started out seeking. To seek to out perform your own abilities is to lose focus on your game, it’s that strong bond of all your senses working in harmony that actually creates the magic.

Its difficult to define the Spirit apart from coming within and around us, so I cannot see how it can be inspired from gathering outside information, that to me seems to deflect our own responsibility to ourselves and ultimately to our game. In other words some golfers by their own action may have misplaced the spirit they once held so highly by the reliance on external inputs.

The spirit is weakened or hides still further if we look for the easy option or easy ways out. Golf is all about the challenge, encouraging the golfer to use his skill in facing and overcoming the course and its obstacles. It has nothing to do yardage information or riding carts.

The mere fact of introducing these items has caused more damage to the Spirit of the Game than anything else. As carts became accepted in most parts of the world it has necessitated the construction of hideous tarmac tracks which unbalanced the natural nature and beauty of the courses. They create an unnatural hazard in their own right, but more disturbing they have opened the doors for hand held distance aids and the most evil of evils The No Walking Courses which has effectively forced the Spirit to seek alternative employment.

As we are talking about the Spirit of the Game, how can anyone justify the use of these items and yet still believe that their game still complies with the Spirit of The Game. It may well be within the rules of the game but not the Spirit.

The problem is that today’s golfers want their cake and also to eat it. They have persuaded the Guys in charge that all this is acceptable and part of modern golf. So the rules state they are legal to use. But what the R&A can not do with hand on their hearts is say it is within the Spirit of the Game.
If the effort did not come from within the golfer it is not within the Spirit of the Game whether it is played in America, The UK or any other part of the world.

In closing, I would like to say that we do a discredit to all our Architect by wanting these external items, we hold back their ability to achieve the ultimate by forcing the design of nonintrusive tracks & markers. Money is wasted in these side shows unless the weather conditions deem that they are needed on health grounds, then there maybe a good reason for their use but in moderation.

I admire all those that play the game the traditional way as it is called today. I thank all those who travel thousands of mile to experience our courses and for those that return each year, I hope the Spirit of the Game is always with you.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 06:15:38 PM »
I believe the spirit of the game is in the eye of the beholder, and would never judge another's connection to said spirit based on how he chooses to play.

I believe one can have just as much connection to the spirit of the game playing out of a cart and using a laser range finder as he can walking and toting his bag on an unmarked golf course.

My belief remains that it is how one treats himself, the course and his fellow golfers that identifies his connection to the spirit of the game.

So I find it unnecessary to justify any items used for play as being within or without the spirit of the game.  PEOPLE define the spirit of the game, not any tools used to play it.

And my feeling is also that the more judgmental one becomes about how others play, the less connected to the true sprit of the game he is.

In my humble opinion, of course.

I admire all those who play the game however they wish to play it.  I thank all with whom I have played for providing such great camraderie.  I know you have a connection to the spirit of the game - I don't have to ask or hope that it is always with you.

TH

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 06:24:01 PM »
Tom

So close yet still a gap, but I respect your opinion, but not totally your argument. 8)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 06:30:38 PM »
Tom

So close yet still a gap, but I respect your opinion, but not totally your argument. 8)

As I respect your passion and your opinion, but could live without your judgmental attitude. 

TH

Andy Troeger

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 06:34:30 PM »
I believe the spirit of the game is in the eye of the beholder, and would never judge another's connection to said spirit based on how he chooses to play.

I believe one can have just as much connection to the spirit of the game playing out of a cart and using a laser range finder as he can walking and toting his bag on an unmarked golf course.

My belief remains that it is how one treats himself, the course and his fellow golfers that identifies his connection to the spirit of the game.

So I find it unnecessary to justify any items used for play as being within or without the spirit of the game.  PEOPLE define the spirit of the game, not any tools used to play it.

And my feeling is also that the more judgmental one becomes about how others play, the less connected to the true sprit of the game he is.

In my humble opinion, of course.

I admire all those who play the game however they wish to play it.  I thank all with whom I have played for providing such great camraderie.  I know you have a connection to the spirit of the game - I don't have to ask or hope that it is always with you.

TH

Great post and well said. I agree most with your sentiments about people being the spirit of the game.

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 06:39:21 PM »
Tom,

Well said.  

The Spirit of the Game is within us and is exhibited by our actions.  

Treating the rules of the game, our fellow players and the course with respect is the most important part of it to me.

Players who swear, throw clubs, cheat or damage the course are the ones who do not understand the spirit.

Players who walk or ride, use their eyes, a caddie, their feet (walking from a known distance), a book or a laser to determine their yardage while showing the respect mentioned above are equal in my eyes.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 06:44:44 PM »
I'm off to the Dixie Cup Friday morning.  One of the things I love about playing in GCA.com events is seeing a foursome heading off the tee, all carrying their bags.  That's the spirit of the game that I think is lost a bit when carts and Sky Caddies are used.

But that's just me, the rest of youse can do as you please!

JohnV

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 06:46:31 PM »
I'm off to the Dixie Cup Friday morning.  One of the things I love about playing in GCA.com events is seeing a foursome heading off the tee, all carrying their bags.  That's the spirit of the game that I think is lost a bit when carts and Sky Caddies are used.

I'd bet a number of those GCAers are using Sky Caddies even if they are walking.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 06:48:06 PM »

I'd bet a number of those GCAers are using Sky Caddies even if they are walking.

Actually, I think they are talking to their stockbrokers on their cell phones!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 07:03:03 PM »
Good posts, gents. I'm going to cheat (egad!) and quote my very favourite writer on golf.  He says it extremely well I think, and better than I could, and his definition of the spirit of the game is large and can contain multitudes, the Melvyns and the Toms of the world both. Max Behr:

"The game of golf, if it is anything at all, is a sanctuary, a well where one may refresh oneself by the very fact that the game enshrouds one with a cloak of democracy. Not only are all men equal upon the links, not only are social and worldly distinctions laid aside, but the game itself has the peculiar faculty of removing that veneer of convention, pride and vanity, which some men are wont to lay around them. "If you want to know your man, play golf with him."

And it is because the game reduces man to his simple natural state, lays his very soul open to the world, that there is inculcated among golfers a spirit of pity, forgiveness and wise toleration, but, above all, brotherly kindness. What other game has this humanizing property. None that we know of. They are all of them direct assertions of will and skill in direct opposition to the tasks set by an opponent. There is never time, for instance, in a rally at tennis for true reflection; all is intuition, for one's best laid plan of attack is open to defeat by the countering of one's opponent. But, in golf, no stroke of the opponent can imperil a man's skill. He is his own master. And because he stands so very alone, so absolutely dependent upon himself that we are given an insight into what manner of man he is.

That is why golf has been compared to life. A man rises and falls in the world at those critical points of his career where he alone can make a decision. He then plunges into the whirl of the world until again he finds himself upon a desert island of doubt and must decide. But a golf match is always a desert isle for him. Every shot is only a peg to an uncertain future. Luck, good and bad, he knows awaits him. What sudden inexorable task his opponent may set by a brilliant stroke lies hidden in the mists ahead. All he can do is to stride bravely forward and manfully accept the situations that confront him one hole after another.

It is possible in this way to look upon golf as a game of character and the skill necessary to play it as the means to its revealment. And the revelation leads to humbleness, the only state of mind in which true values may be arrived at. Weakness is no longer scorned and laughed at. It is seen to be inherent in all. It is only the man who makes excuses who puts himself out of court. The strong man admits his failings on the spot and is happy to know just how and where he may school himself for the future. And so the game of golf enforces a spirit of charity, for we must give if we expect charity in return for failings we cannot hide.

The duffer and the scratch player stand here on equal ground. And, although one may far exceed the other in skill he may yet lag behind in character, the only foundation upon which skill in golf can achieve a high position and sustain itself there.  It therefore seems to us that this giving of equal prizes to all was in a sense a recognition of the equality created by this human element in the game. The triumph of the duffer was as much a triumph as that of his more skillful brother."
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 07:05:54 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Chris Cupit

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 07:12:36 PM »

To my fellow connoisseurs of the game. Let me open a discussion on The Spirit of the Game.

How has it changed and stayed the same?

I find it to be subjective. Let me use one example. When I golf I love to wear plus 4s at times. At other times I prefer bright clothing much like Doug Sanders. But at my home course which is in a gated community with beautifully house lined fairways I frequently play with my shirt untucked. This would violate The Spirit of the Game at many other places.

Tobacco Road, Sawgrass, Kiawah, I felt I was in violation by grounding my club in the sand which was allowable by the course.

What is acceptable now that was not in the past?

Of course the spirit has changed as people and the game evolve--some things are better some are worse.

Better:
The game is more open socially than ever before and there is a concerted effort to introduce the game to everyone

The game is fun, easier to become decent at and courses and architecture are better than ever for most people's tastes

Tiger Woods, The Ryder Cup---golf can be exciting and bring in new fans.

Worse:
People by and large do not fix ball marks, think "others" will rake bunkers and repair divots for them

Access to many great places to play while open to all is financially closed for many.  Technology that makes people think they need very expensive equipment and that demands longer and more difficult courses have jacked prices way up

Conditioning is so good and demanded by all that costs are too high and passed on to players

I know some on here see dress codes and such as overly stuffy or whatever but people do dress worse than ever and are simply ruder and cruder than 25 years ago.  I am not a "the good ole days" kind of guy but people were definitley better mannered.   

"Waste bunkers" >:(  Nothing but a made up figment of someone's imagination.  Where in the rules (and there may be a place) do "waste bunkers" exist.  A bunker is a bunker--do not ground your club ;)

John Burzynski

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 07:50:33 PM »
The smell of fresh mown grass.

The sound of metal golf cleats on the pavement walking to the first tee.  That's one you don't hear anymore.

The click of a persimmon driver hit 'on the screws'.  Don't hear that one, either.

The sight of a foursome walking with their bags on their backs down the first fairway.

The warm sun on my head with a cool crisp autumn breeze at my back.

A 5 iron struck to within 3 feet.

A chip-in.  From anywhere.

A well read and well struck 30 foot putt that breaks both ways on its way to the back of the hole.  Priceless.

No 'X' on my scorecard.  And no 8, either.

The laughter between 4 men waiting to tee off.  But not waiting TOO long to tee off.

The ability to run a shot up to the green. 

A well placed sand trap, dogleg or other strategic feature, meant to challenge the golfer and make him think a bit.

A good score, but most importantly a good time on the course. 

A round in the morning while the dew is still fresh, or in the evening as the sun sets and the dew rolls in.

Chatting with the course ranger or starter.  Just shooting the breeze.   

Linking up with another single on the course, enjoying 9 or 18 and having a good conversation and game, parting  at the 18th and never seeing them again.

I love most everything about this game, the sights, the sounds, the smells, the feel, even the taste of a Snickers bar at the turn.  There is often no better place to be but on the links playing, enjoying a good time either solo or with others.   

Some of us are fanatics of equipment and gadgets.  Some play the game to score low.  Others want the exercise.  Still others like a few beers and time with friends away from the family.

Point is, we all enjoy the spirit of the game, and that spirit is different for all of us.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 07:52:16 PM by John Burzynski »

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 08:07:41 PM »
You have played within the spirit of the game when:

you've played by the rules, and not just the ones you agree with;

have taken responsibility for your play by signing your card, and;

done whatever was in your power to create equitable playing conditions for your opponent or fellow competitors, and;

can honestly say you played well even if your score is twenty strokes higher than you might normally shoot.

It really has nothing to do with dress codes or handshakes, although those kinds of social graces add immensly to the enjoyment of the game.

just my opinion.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 08:23:35 AM »
I find this topic very interesting, I believe it regrettably shows a great divide between our home grown game and that played by others.

The Spirit of the Game is two fold, I believe it’s within each golfer but it also radiates from the course and its surroundings. The latter point I see hardly anyone has acknowledged or commented upon. Interesting indeed, because I mentioned the importance of the course designer in creating the balance and harmony between the land and Nature. Clearly this is not a factor in the game played by others, yet it is a fundamental part of golf, so must reflect in the Spirit of The Game - IMMostHO.

My comments are based upon my views, my connection with golf and nearly half a century of playing the game. They are sincere opinions, based upon my experience and understand of the game, they are certainly not judgmental nor intended to be so, but just my honest view point. I have no difficulty in others not agreeing with me, after all this is a Discussion Forum and the idea is for views to be exchanged, otherwise how do we know what others like or dislike.

As for the Spirit of the Game – perhaps we need to understand what exactly we are referring to. For me it come form the period of the 19th Century when modern golf was shaped and its popularity exploded not just in Scotland but by the 1890’s world wide. The birth of the Spirit of The Game. Through the next 50 years plus minor changes occurred regards ball/club technology mainly requiring the constant search for more land & longer courses. Fundamentally the game had not changed it was still a walking and eye co-ordination partnership. The major change occurred after WW2, and over the last 50 years the major changes have been made, the slow but increasing need for distance/yardage information, the cart, then the cart tracks which did inflict a scar upon all courses that incorporated them, the continued need for distance information which resulted in electronic distance & GPS aids and ultimately the introduction of NO Walking Courses. 

I am not judging others who wish to use these modern items, certainly I do not agree with them, but they are acceptable under the rules.  My comments and my opinions are that we don’t need the distance info, each golfer has his/her own built in distance aid (well the majority) – a pair of Eyes. As for Carts, fine, use them for climate conditions/medical/age reasons, but golf is a walking game. Then No Walking Courses, as I just mentioned golf started off as a walking game but now there is just no choice use a cart as you are not allowed to walk.

Am I wrong in my assumption that the original Spirit of the Game is being lost, that it has been totally compromised and is only a shadow of its forma. No IMMHO I do not consider I am, but certainly others do.

There may be another Spirit of the Game which encompasses all these changes but I don’t see of feel it, therefore I can’t recognise it.

If you fundamentally change the constitution of a country as golf has been change (just use the No Walking Rule), you change the Character and Spirit that country was founded upon. The same in my opinion applies to golf.

Use all the modern aids, play golf from a cart, that’s your right and choice, invoke the Spirit of the Game, but those who adhere to the original Spirit of the Game may well voice and question their concerns.

Judgmental No,  Voice my concerns, Yes

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 09:28:12 AM »
The Spirit of the Game in my opinion is how you approach golf.

In closing, I would like to say that we do a discredit to all our Architect by wanting these external items, we hold back their ability to achieve the ultimate by forcing the design of nonintrusive tracks & markers. Money is wasted in these side shows unless the weather conditions deem that they are needed on health grounds, then there maybe a good reason for their use but in moderation.

I admire all those that play the game the traditional way as it is called today. I thank all those who travel thousands of mile to experience our courses and for those that return each year, I hope the Spirit of the Game is always with you.

Melvyn .....Thank you for restoreing my faith in humanity.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 09:49:40 AM »

TH

Tom,

I am not sure how I define The Spirit of the Game myself. And with no disrespect for your ideas I need to explore one thought. Do you and others find golfing The Old Course more spiritual than Pinehurst. Is not Bandon more spiritual than Sawgrass?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 10:29:40 AM »
Tom,

Well said.  

The Spirit of the Game is within us and is exhibited by our actions.  

Treating the rules of the game, our fellow players and the course with respect is the most important part of it to me.

Players who swear, throw clubs, cheat or damage the course are the ones who do not understand the spirit.

Players who walk or ride, use their eyes, a caddie, their feet (walking from a known distance), a book or a laser to determine their yardage while showing the respect mentioned above are equal in my eyes.

John,

Well said.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 10:41:38 AM »
The smell of fresh mown grass.

The sound of metal golf cleats on the pavement walking to the first tee.  That's one you don't hear anymore.

The click of a persimmon driver hit 'on the screws'.  Don't hear that one, either.

The sight of a foursome walking with their bags on their backs down the first fairway.

The warm sun on my head with a cool crisp autumn breeze at my back.

A 5 iron struck to within 3 feet.

A chip-in.  From anywhere.

A well read and well struck 30 foot putt that breaks both ways on its way to the back of the hole.  Priceless.

No 'X' on my scorecard.  And no 8, either.

The laughter between 4 men waiting to tee off.  But not waiting TOO long to tee off.

The ability to run a shot up to the green. 

A well placed sand trap, dogleg or other strategic feature, meant to challenge the golfer and make him think a bit.

A good score, but most importantly a good time on the course. 

A round in the morning while the dew is still fresh, or in the evening as the sun sets and the dew rolls in.

Chatting with the course ranger or starter.  Just shooting the breeze.   

Linking up with another single on the course, enjoying 9 or 18 and having a good conversation and game, parting  at the 18th and never seeing them again.

I love most everything about this game, the sights, the sounds, the smells, the feel, even the taste of a Snickers bar at the turn.  There is often no better place to be but on the links playing, enjoying a good time either solo or with others.   

Some of us are fanatics of equipment and gadgets.  Some play the game to score low.  Others want the exercise.  Still others like a few beers and time with friends away from the family.

Point is, we all enjoy the spirit of the game, and that spirit is different for all of us.

A TRUE CONNOISSEUR

These things cannot be said about any other sport. In fact golf truly transcends sport.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 11:08:37 AM »
From a text on my website, here's my thoughts on the spirit of the game

During my trip to Scotland I had a chance to discover the game of golf in its raw state. By travelling all across the country, I had the chance to visit more than fifty links courses, from the famous one to the obscure one. It’s on those small, corky and unknown course that it’s possible to understand what golf is all about in Scotland.

Scottish people go to the links the same way Canadians go to the frozen pond to play hockey. There are no boards, the ice condition is far from perfect, the rink is too small or too big, but still it is hockey for everybody.

In a small village lucky enough to have a golf course, the links is just a place to play, to have fun. Golf is simple, unassuming but still it’s golf.

This different attitude towards the game has a tremendous impact on golf architecture. Scottish people see golf as a sport against nature, the land and the weather conditions. Most of the world sees golf as a game played on a course specifically designed and maintained for the purpose

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 12:05:56 PM »
Tom H:

I agree with your viewpoint that it is possible to retain the spirit of the game while playing out of a cart or using a rangefinder.

But I am not at all sure that it is possible to LEARN the true spirit of the game that way.  Do you know of people who have done so? 

My impression is that the new generation of cart-golfers are almost completely focused on their own needs and pay little attention to other golfers ... even their own companions ... and that is not the spirit of the game.

I played golf for ten years beforehand, but I don't think I really found the spirit of the game until I traveled overseas, much as Philippe describes.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 12:13:31 PM »

I do know that The Spirit of the Game lies within Gentlemen. My observations are that on my golfing travels I am encountering fewer and fewer gentlemen golfers.

I hate cellphones on the course, but I take mine with me at my home course. I would never consider doing the same at the old. There are more gentlemen golfers there.

As a single golfer and usually traveling alone or with my wife I have seen a deterioration in the character of golfers on and off the course. It seems that the golf IQ is falling in recent times. I believe we are looseing The Spirit.

John Burzynski

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 12:26:52 PM »
Tom H:

I agree with your viewpoint that it is possible to retain the spirit of the game while playing out of a cart or using a rangefinder.

But I am not at all sure that it is possible to LEARN the true spirit of the game that way.  Do you know of people who have done so? 

My impression is that the new generation of cart-golfers are almost completely focused on their own needs and pay little attention to other golfers ... even their own companions ... and that is not the spirit of the game.

I played golf for ten years beforehand, but I don't think I really found the spirit of the game until I traveled overseas, much as Philippe describes.

Tom:

I find this to be the exact root of many on-course problems.  I think that much of the self-entitlement on the course by many golfers can be traced back to cart-only golfing, the high prices per round in many places, and just today's general non-golfing culture.

I perceive with some golfers an attitude of "I paid my $X to play this course, I am riding in my cart, and I really don't care how quickly I play, who I hold up while I play, or how I behave on course.  I paid my dollar and I will do as I darn well please."  It is a sense of entitlement common at times in today's culture outside of golf, and combined with a high cost of playing a round and a bit more isolation sometimes while riding a cart vs. what is normally experienced walking a course, and you have a recipe for golf problems in some circumstances. 

Granted, this is not a widespread problem, at least in my experience, but when it rears it's ugly head, it is often painful to endure. 

I see the value of carts to the handicapped or older golfer who cannot walk, or in climates with lots of heat, but otherwise carts tend to selfishly isolate a golfer from at least some of the ambiance and surroundings on the course.   When was the last time you saw the golfers in two golf carts stop and talk to a each other on adjoining holes?  While walking I have stopped and had short conversations with other golfers who I know and don't know on adjoining holes (when the course is close to empty, of course).  Even the casual wave to another golfer is more common while walking. 

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 12:38:43 PM »
Philippe

Interesting view, (was it written last century), whatever, but I would not say ‘Against Nature the land and weather conditions’

I don’t think that’s very true, perhaps accept ‘In harmony with Nature, the Land and weather’.

Some of us like our courses to reflect the natural world all around, to mirror the landscape, to persuade and challenge in the hope that the process will get the best out of us both in our game and spirit.

As for the Designers or Architects, most of us have high regard for their efforts and like to see them free to produce an exciting and challenging course.

Note worth mentioning - Preferable we want a fixed based fee of £1 per day - maybe expensive but we wanted the best and will stretch our finances to attract the best.  Recent example is Mackenzie & Ebert at Askernish for £9. The full Pension Fund gone but what a course we have. So bargains are available if you are willing to look. Please note we decided against any extras i.e. yardage markers to keep within budget, but then as we don’t use them they were a luxury our budget did not need to accommodate.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back