News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

O/T... Ballesteros Gravely Ill
« on: October 10, 2008, 10:42:45 AM »

John Kavanaugh

Re: O/T... Ballesteros Gravely Ill
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 10:47:53 AM »
What a pity...

Ed Tilley

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 10:49:57 AM »
As a child who grew up in Europe in the 80's, Seve was, is, and forever will be the King of golf in my eyes. Very, very, sad.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 12:16:49 PM »
There are conflicting reports. The BBC is running a story that he has issued a statement reassuring his fans that he feels fine.  Whatever is true, I hope he recovers and soon.  The most exciting and charismatic golfer of the last 50 years in my book.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 12:45:28 PM »
There are conflicting reports. The BBC is running a story that he has issued a statement reassuring his fans that he feels fine.  Whatever is true, I hope he recovers and soon.  The most exciting and charismatic golfer of the last 50 years in my book.

3rd most exciting to me -- but that is saying a great deal. 

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 02:23:15 PM »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 04:25:02 PM »
ESPN states he was moved OUT of intensive care, hopefully that means good news
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

David Stamm

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 05:24:51 PM »
Very sad news. One of my all time favorite players and certainly one of the most exciting ever.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

ChipOat

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 10:55:06 PM »
For better or worse, Seve made the Ryder Cup what it is.

I confess I thought it was more fun when Ballesteros, Floyd, Azinger, Monty et al were in their Ryder Cup prime.

There was no cheating (as far as I know), but all pretense of fellowship and sportsman-like comraderie was openly abandoned.  Total competitive war; guys topping shots and throwing up.  What's so bad about that once every 2 years?

I thought the War By The Shore was more fun than now.

On the other hand, the players seem to prefer the President's Cup.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 10:56:53 PM »
God bless him and his family.

The man was an unbelievably creative artist and his mind-boggling recovery play at Lytham and Oak Hill still sets the standard of anyone alive since Walter Hagen.

I hope his recovery is as swift and certain in life as it was in golf.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 11:08:24 PM by MikeCirba »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 06:26:45 PM »
He will be in my prayers. Seve's creativitywill forever be a part of the games history as well as his championship victories.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 05:49:31 PM »
It would appear that Seve is scheduled for a biopsy this week and the appropriate treatment plan will be developed when a diagnosis is made. You just never know in life!  Very sad,  Jack

ChipOat

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
Perhaps this explains why his ability to play golf completely disappeared over the last 10 years - and especially in the last 2-3 years, it seems.

Scary.

MargaretC

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 09:55:06 PM »
Depending upon the type of tumor, it could be the case that the issues he was having with his spine were/are related to the tumor.  With the imaging technology available today, even before a biospy, his physicians will have a very good idea whether or not the tumor is malignant.

He's just 51 yrs.  So very sad.  Seve and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers. 

Meg

Ray Richard

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 01:13:35 PM »
He was always very gracious toward the gallery. When he walked into a tee box surrounded by fans he always scanned the perimeter and made eye contact with everyone as he tipped his hat. Many of the young tour players look down as they approach fans.

Bruce Leland

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 08:08:11 PM »
I first saw Seve play at the 1978 Master's Tournament and he was instantly my golf hero.  We are roughly the same age and it was a treat to follow him then and throughout his career.  It was apparent at that time that the young Spaniard played the game with passion, flair and creativity.  His record and accomplishments in the game are the result of those qualities. 

Here's wishing Seve a speedy and complete recovery.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 11:19:01 PM »
I enjoyed watching Seve play as much as anyone.  I remember seeing a match he played with Colin Montgomery at Druids Glen in Ireland.  I don't think Seve hit a fairway or green.  I don't think Colin missed a fairway or green.  Seve got up and down from everywhere.  Montgomery finally won on either 17 or 18.  Seve should not even had been in the match.  He was phenomenal around the greens.  He sure was an exciting player.  I miss watching him.  I pray he gets through this.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 08:33:59 AM »
Seve has always been a hero of mine ever since I followed him round Birkdale on the final day of the 1976 Open Championship and stood directly behind him as he played what seemed to be an impossible chip and run shot to the 18th green to clinch 2nd place with a birdie.

We were born only 8 days apart which seemed to add some sort of affinity to my admiration for him.  Given what he is going through now gives me a chilling reminder of our mortality.

The stories of Seve's abilities and charisma are legion but I thought this Ron Sirak article was excellent.

All the best Seve, get well soon.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 12:17:05 PM »
Seve in a stable condition after lengthy operation according to the BBC
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tom Birkert

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 10:32:07 AM »
Ssadly he's had a complication and according to a friend who works for the BBC it isn't looking good at all.

Totally shocking news, I wonder if he'd had any signs which he hadn't acted on.

51 is no age at all.

I hope that he manages to pull through.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back