News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Are slower greens harder to putt on?
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2023, 04:31:42 AM »
I grew up and played on slow greens for fifty years. It is only in the last twenty years or so that greens have become very quick. I easily adjust to slow greens. I find very quick sloping greens more difficult to find the right pace. Five-foot putts are easier for me on fast greens, however.

I’m pretty close to this. I’d go as far to say that I find slow greens easier even on short putts.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2023, 09:55:17 AM »
If while standing over your first putt you are thinking about your third putt then slow greens are easier.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2023, 08:42:34 PM »
Yes, generally.

Given a little time to acclimate, players of almost all ability levels (i.e. can break 100 or better) generally putt better on faster greens. They three-putt slightly more, but make even more putts that more than offset the added three-putting.

Faster greens are generally slightly smoother, too.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2023, 09:15:01 PM »
   The harder I have to hit the ball, the more likely I won’t make proper contact.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2023, 06:51:23 PM »
Not too slow and not to fast.  Sort of half fast is best.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2023, 06:20:35 AM »
How do those who use a long broom handle putter or the recently popularised pencil grip to hold the putter get on when putting on slow greens? Asking as I’m courteous if giving the ball more of a wack than a gentle caress might be more difficult to achieve using such techniques.
Atb

Rob Marshall

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2023, 08:23:20 AM »
I'll be spending a decent about of time in Florida this winter. Greens down there are always a little slower and grainer than I see in Western NY. I think the key is hitting it solid. Hopping that some practice down there will help me become a better putter no matter what greens I'm on.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Ken Moum

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2023, 12:54:21 PM »
How do those who use a long broom handle putter or the recently popularised pencil grip to hold the putter get on when putting on slow greens? Asking as I’m courteous if giving the ball more of a wack than a gentle caress might be more difficult to achieve using such techniques.
Atb

Properly applied,  those methods should depend on stroke length to determine how far the ball goes.

Which isn't really an obstacle.

Mind you, not all practitioners do it that way. In which case they'll struggle.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2023, 01:08:33 PM »
How do they hit a 30-foot putt instead of a 25-foot putt?
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back