News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lang

Texas Golf Clubs Have Better Players! GD Says So!
« on: October 09, 2008, 02:12:54 AM »
 8) 

Could be the year round good weather (sans hurricanes and summers from hell)..

Could be the wind..

Could be the bermuda grass challenges..

Could be solid if not "golden age" gca we play on..

Could be the varied terrain from coastal plain to hill country to desert..

Could be the UK imports with the oil industry..

Could be the growing economy in all sectors..

and Hey Kyle K.  can you believe the Woodlands at #8 and Champions at #9?  looks like braggin rights for a year!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

TX Golf

Re: Texas Golf Clubs Have Better Players! GD Says So!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 02:30:21 AM »
Or it could be a load of #&$%!!!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 02:34:31 AM »
8) 

Could be the varied terrain from coastal plain to hill country to desert..

If I think of one thing when I hear the word "Texas", it's varied terrain.

I mean, from flat and treeless on one side, to basically flat and mostly treeless on the other side, Texas is nothing if not varied. The list of states with terrain variety surpassing that of Texas is a short one - no more than 45 or 50 states, certainly.

;D

TX Golf

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 02:44:25 AM »
Tell me about it Matt.

I would be more than happy to team up with you to form an SF team... and challenge any team from Texas.   I might eat my words for posting this thread, but there is nothing wrong with a good challenge. By the way... I have be at school in Dallas for four years now so I have somewhat of an idea what Texas golf is like.

Edit: This prompted an idea that I have in my head. How cool would if be if GCA had a tournament in which 2-4 man teams represented their home state. I'm guessing we would only get around 20-30 states represented at best.... but what a cool event that would be. Does anyone have any ideas regarding a possible format or location.... sorry if I am hijacking this thread!!!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 03:05:19 AM by Robert Warren »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 07:42:39 AM »
Matt,

What state gets mischaracterized more than Texas, both politically, geographically, or any other way?  You can fit Illinois into Texas either NS or EW. It is BIG and varied. 

Well, maybe Kansas gets maligned more - everyone thinks its flat and it is anything but.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 08:35:39 AM »
I live in TX now, but grew up in CA and I've lived and worked in golf in a few other western states.

I think the best players from most states are fairly even, but I do think TX has more good players. Why? Because every little town in TX has a golf course. Usually built and cared for by members of the community. The courses would never be mistaken for a country club, and by most standards you'd say they are in poor shape, but the locals love their golf courses and play all the time. Affordable golf is everywhere in rural TX. And all those little 9-holers have a handful of guys who can flat out play. If you don't believe me come spend a summer on the bar-b-que circuit in West or South TX. Bring your wallet and your A game or you’ll be hitchhiking home.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 09:44:36 AM »
8) 
Hey Kyle K.  can you believe the Woodlands at #8 and Champions at #9?  looks like braggin rights for a year!

I did notice that.  Of course we all know real competitions are held on grass and not on glossy magazine paper  ;).

Sam Morrow

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 09:49:49 AM »
I haven't seen the article but I am not surprised. Everything is bigger in Texas, even the size of the nassau.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 11:06:35 AM »
An inordinate number of Texans that I've run into are more "real golfer" than just about anywhere else one could quantify.(outside the auld sod and maybe the Monterey P)
I always assumed it was the wind and their low ball flights. But having read Don's post above, my sense is it's a combination of all of those things.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 12:35:08 PM »
I agree that the access to cheap golf has a lot to do with it.

I grew up in San Diego and went to high school in a relatively affluent neighborhood. About 15-20 students tried out for the golf team.

In Norman, Oklahoma, the high school (which was of similar size) had 80 students try out for the golf team.

Surely that had a lot to do with the fact that kids in Norman could play golf very inexpensively. Also, there's nothing else to do in Norman, Oklahoma.  ;D

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 01:38:56 PM »
Having grown up in NJ and lived in the great state of TX for five years, my experience would agree with this assessment. At least in the Houston area, there seem to be a few clubs with an inordinate amount of good players, with Champions being the obvious example.

Cheap access + great weather can't hurt. Instead of getting in my car and driving from NYC to Vermont to ski every weekend in the winter, I drive ten minutes to the club every weekend.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 03:26:20 PM »
I've heard it said that there's one sure fire way to tame a Texas ego ...

Split Alaska in half and make the Lone Star State the 3rd biggest in the USA. ;D

On the subject of top players -- the population base, favorable weather and the wherewithal to handle the always blowing wind sure does help matters.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 05:45:55 PM »
Hard pan, windy, knockdown shots, "Texas wedge".......how bad can it be?

danielfaleman

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 06:28:44 PM »
It's all of the above, but to drive home tha point: 1000 public golf courses, most moderately priced. And it never seems to amaze me how much support there is for Texas junior golf; most high schools have golf teams with plenty of tournaments to play in.

Sheer number of players, playing a lot, makes for quality...

Lou_Duran

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 08:36:23 PM »
or Texans could just be superior people.

Casey Wade

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 08:22:05 AM »
As the saying goes:  "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as quick as I could!"

In terms of depth of GCA'ers in Texas, I'm pretty sure our depth could take on any state.

In just the Houston area alone, I can think of the following including myself:

Andy Hodson
Sam Morrow
Mike Nuzzo
Tiger Bernhardt (dual citizenship)
Kyle Krahenbuhl
Drew Standley
Steve Lang

And I know I'm missing a few.

This may be a little arrogant, but I am a little man ;D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 01:43:00 PM by Casey Wade »
Some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 09:32:47 AM »
Whoa there, podna, Tiger is only an occasional Texan.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 07:36:25 PM »
As the saying goes:  "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as quick as I could!"

In terms of depth of GCA'ers in Texas, I'm pretty sure our depth could take on any state.

In just the Houston area alone, I can think of the following including myself:

Andy Hodson
Sam Morrow
Mike Nuzzo
Tiger Bernhardt (dual citizenship)
Kyle Krahenbuhl
Drew Standley
Steve Lang

And I know I'm missing a few.

This may be a little arrogant, but I am a little man ;D

Without consulting Casey (he's giving a lesson right now) High Meadow Ranch would love to host a GCA State Team event.

Casey this statement is hardly arrogant and you are not little by any means.

Steve Lang

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 06:39:58 PM »
 8) 

Tiger B has a membership at Champions..
Tiger B has had to wear a Texas Hat at least once that i know about..
other than that, he's truly purple with yellow trim..

was in mid 80's today, one club wind if you got above the tree canopy or were out in the open

as soon as the nights start getting below 60 °F, the ol bermuda will start to go dormant and things will really start to speed up..

and it doesn;t hurt to have many places sprinkled around the state where the pros have played over the years.. we're happy to have the Champions Tour back at the Woodlands!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

wsmorrison

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 07:12:41 PM »
You can have your arguably better golfers in Texas.  I'd rather have our much better courses up here  ;) ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 07:25:30 PM »
8) 

Tiger B has a membership at Champions..
Tiger B has had to wear a Texas Hat at least once that i know about..
other than that, he's truly purple with yellow trim..

That's why I said "occasional."  ;)  Big night for his Tigers tonight.  As they say, "Geaux Tigers!"

Steve Lang

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 10:40:30 PM »
 8)  Wayne,.. i plead no contest.. 

;D :D however,  we'll be thinking of y'all above the 40th parallel when Ol'man Winter is blowing all over your courses.. :D

The voice of Inverness"

wsmorrison

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2008, 08:24:06 AM »
You got me with the weather angle, Steve  :)
However, there is a group of us--The Mob, mostly guys in their 60s and 70s--I'm one of the youngest at 51, that play every weekend when there is no snow on the ground.  There is a younger group, The Crew, that play afterward.  The Mob goes out in just about anything.  Last year there was a day that was 28* with 30mph wind and we were undaunted.  Cold, but undaunted.  Now that I know about Bovril and Sherry (from RStG), I'm gonna make up a batch each weekend.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back